Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 08:28 AM

69 posts, read 110,277 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have read MANY of the threads on here and have gotten a lot of info but now I'm getting blurry eyed We may be relocating from South Carolina but are originally from the midwest. My husband's job will be in Bartlett. We have 2 girls ages 15 & 6 (Freshman & 1st grade).

Besides safety education is our top priority. By that I don't mean my kids have to go to a school where everyone takes honors classes or the school has the highest test scores. I want my children to go to a good school that provides opportunities, helps them figure out what they want to do past high school, is a safe environment, has diversity, and teachers care about their job and the students.

Our oldest has just started an JROTC program at her current high school and we want to strongly encourage her to continue with that but the only schools I've located are White Station and Overton within Memphis and Millington Central in Millington.

Our youngest is very bright and is at a 2nd or 3rd grade level in many areas (although she is not aware of this and I would like to keep it that way). So for her I want a school that will challenge her and help her to grow.
We are moving from a smaller town of about 25,000 and I have to drive an hour to the nearest Metro area. I am tired of this so I really want to be in a larger town/city that has SOME shopping, etc within 20 mintues or so. I do alot of all natural and organic foods so Whole Foods is my favorite groc store.

Our price range for a home would be in the 200,000-250,000 range and I'm not overly particular on age but do what something that doesn't look "dated". I lived in brand new and I've lived in 25 year old homes. I prefer the feel of new but not always the lower quality.

Any and all info is GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!

I should add that my oldest is now attending a public high school but her background is homeschooling last year and private christian school for a few years prior to that.
My youngest is attending a small private christian school but would like to transition to public if we can find a good one.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 08:53 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,568 times
Based on the criteria you listed, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Bartlett. Fits like a glove.

Best wishes.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:56 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,374,704 times
The only Whole Foods is in Memphis, on Poplar. It would be a long drive from Millington, but not as bad from Bartlett.

Bartlett is (IMO) much better than Millington. Better schools from what I hear, more to do, more shopping, it is suburban but not "country" like Millington is moreso. Millington will have cheaper homes, but you'll have more selection in Bartlett. $200k is not going to get you into Germantown or Collierville, at least not a 4 bedroom home as you may need. Bartlett has newer homes and older. Neighborhoods that are brand new subdivisions, as well as homes built decades ago in neighborhoods with big trees, big yards, etc.

If your husband will be working in bartlett, that would be my #1 pick of where to live (for you). You can get more house with your money there, but still have the same basic amenities as Germantown and Collierville have.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:07 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Bartlett is good, but I'll throw in another option too. There are some infill neighborhoods in Memphis I think would work for your situation. Not trying to make your choices even more difficult, but if you don't want to deal with trying to get into a city school while living in the county this is just another way to go.

I'd suggest the Richland (or Grahamwood~ optional program) elementary districts. Richland feeds directly to White Station Middle and WSHS. Parts of Grahamwood also feed into White Station, parts of it feed into Kingsbury or Treadwell, which you don't want. No idea what the feeder schools are in the Overton district.
Maybe talk to a real estate to find some of the infill neighborhoods, especially if Overton interests you.
Like this 289 Mary Ann Dr, Memphis, TN 38117 - Zillow
Friend of a friend bought in this neighborhood last year and really likes it.
331 Fountain River Dr, Memphis, TN 38120 - Zillow
300 Fountain Crest Dr, Memphis, TN 38120 - Zillow

ETA: Before you commit to anything it would be a really good idea to check with the school board (city or county) about specific school boundaries. Real estate sites, agents, and sometimes even homeowners are misinformed about the districts. Just because a house is closer to one school than another doesn't necessarily mean that it's in that schools attendance zone. I made that mistake when we were new to Memphis.

Last edited by DubbleT; 08-19-2009 at 10:30 AM..

Old 08-19-2009, 10:30 AM

1,292 posts, read 5,000,258 times
You can find a very nice home in Bartlett within your price range...and you'll be 5 minutes from as much shopping as you can handle Depending on exactly where you are in Bartlett, you'll be maybe 15-20 minutes from Whole Foods on Poplar.

I'm partial to the Bolton High School district....but that's probably because my two sons went to that school...although Bartlett HS is just fine as well....

Old 08-19-2009, 11:02 AM

196 posts, read 692,516 times
You may want to check out some of the areas recently annexed into Millington or in the Millington reserve.

I'm talking about on the east side of Austin Peay.
Lovely custom built homes on big lots and most in your price range.

And sadly I have seen some repos sitting empty.

There is also an organic market gardener in Millington right off Navy road who you may want to check out.
His name has escaped me right now, but he sells blueberries, figs, peas, squash and who knows what else.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:16 AM

1,292 posts, read 5,000,258 times
I think the guy you're talking about is on Sledge Road just a few houses south of Navy...west side of the street. I can't remember the name either!

Old 08-19-2009, 11:36 AM

3 posts, read 8,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
$200k is not going to get you into Germantown or Collierville, at least not a 4 bedroom home as you may need.
This is not entirely true. In the current market, there are several 4 BRs that we have seen in the past 2 weeks while shopping in the area that we below $200k. These were even rehab houses (everything gutted, modernized, replaced etc) that are very good in value. I'd hesitate recommending Bartlett, as there has been a shift in residents in some areas, at least out where my parents live, etc. Bartlett is still OK, don't get me wrong, but if you are comfortable spending a little more (still well within your means of $200 - 250k), don't rule out Germantown or Collierville.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:48 AM

196 posts, read 692,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
I think the guy you're talking about is on Sledge Road just a few houses south of Navy...west side of the street. I can't remember the name either!
Yes, that's the place.
And I still can't remember his name.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:30 AM

122 posts, read 441,812 times
You may also want to check Arlington. Houses in that range and really good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis