Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 05:41 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,026,356 times

Advertisements

Panic attacks are tough- I had a friend who was a Psychiatrist- who had them and took some kind of med. He also took an antidepressant-Zoloft- which also can help.

Since I suffer from an anxiety disorder (GAD) some panic attacks (mild) and obsessive compulsive behavior (mild) I take buspar (buspirone) which does balance me pretty well.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:12 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
I was having panic attacks a couple months ago over finances. They went away on their own. But when I was in their grips they were truly debilitating.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:40 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Hey guys, sorry I havent been here for the last 2 days, my anxiety has been really bad again. I have been having a lot of panic attacks..wow, they have been pretty bad. I just came on to see if things were going ok on here. I see there have been some new posts added, I will try to come back on tonight, providing I can calm down long enough to read everything...everyone have a great day.
Sorry to hear that Suzette, hang in there. Is your husband still being an idiot?

I like your little flowers motif under your messages - it's funny because it kind of gives the impression that you're the very picture of calm. Maybe you should meditate on those flowers - try to embody them in your frame of mind... Hugs.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:25 AM

159 posts, read 599,966 times
: (

thats all I have to say right now

Old 03-28-2008, 11:05 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,061,405 times
Default Anxiety attacks caused by grief

Wonder if anyone can help. A close and dear friend of mine lost her husband very suddenly and unexpectedly about eight weeks ago. It came as a complete shock and she has been in a state of constant anxiety ever since, which is making her unable to eat.

She has now lost about 25lbs in weight, due to feeling constantly sick and is unable to eat more than a few bites. So she's probably down to 105lb now (she's tall, 5'10) so getting seriously underweight.

I have made all the sensible suggestions of drinking power-shakes and high-calorie smoothies, eating little and often etc, and she tries but just can't.

She is now getting to the stage where she might go into hospital to help her get the anxiety under control. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions (do's & dont's) which might help her.

She lives 5,000 miles from me (and most of her family) so I can't be there for her, I'm just phoning and emailing. I'd love her to come stay with me but she is feeling to sick to travel. It's so frustrating not being able to help.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:31 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,249,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Wonder if anyone can help. A close and dear friend of mine lost her husband very suddenly and unexpectedly about eight weeks ago. It came as a complete shock and she has been in a state of constant anxiety ever since, which is making her unable to eat.

She has now lost about 25lbs in weight, due to feeling constantly sick and is unable to eat more than a few bites. So she's probably down to 105lb now (she's tall, 5'10) so getting seriously underweight.

I have made all the sensible suggestions of drinking power-shakes and high-calorie smoothies, eating little and often etc, and she tries but just can't.

She is now getting to the stage where she might go into hospital to help her get the anxiety under control. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions (do's & dont's) which might help her.

She lives 5,000 miles from me (and most of her family) so I can't be there for her, I'm just phoning and emailing. I'd love her to come stay with me but she is feeling to sick to travel. It's so frustrating not being able to help.

Can you go and stay with her for awhile? If not, can you (and her other family/friends) almost create some sort of rotation where you all are taking turns staying with her for a bit until she can get back on her feet? Or, can you even fly out and meet her and then fly back with her to your place? Either getting her hospitalized, or at least on some anti-depressants (depression and anxiety are closely related), or in therapy is key for know. Getting her on meds for a bit of time is probably necessary while she starts therapy. Is she working? Would it be reasonable for her to come stay with you for an extended period of time? If so, even flying to her, taking her to the ER to get her on meds, and then taking her to your place where she can start to get serious treatment is needed. Not to scare you, but if she is really feeling alone and is this depressed, she is at high risk for suicide, so you all need to ban together and help her through this time.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:02 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,909 times
This can definitely happen to a person. three years ago, my father died totally unexpectedly and I couldn't eat or sleep for days. all i could manage were some of the tiny oyster crackers and some tea. Keep in contact with your friend. she really needs your support now. Does she have friends/co-workers or someone close by that can go and be with her?

Old 03-28-2008, 05:17 PM

Thanks for your responses.

I'm sorry to hear about your father, sgresident.

We are doing all we can to keep people with her; her son has moved back home, and family members have been flying in from all over the world - literally -to stay with her; we keep phoning and emailing at least once a day each, plus she has good friends nearby. Her co-workers are also helping, they are being amazing actually.

The real issue is the not-eating. She feels so sick all the time, she can't eat, but then feels tired and listless - and I'm worried this will add to her falling into a deeper depression.

I have told her to keep trying to eat, or at least drink some quality juices. She has just started taking antidepressants but still feels sick.

I wondered if anyone had found a way to allieviate the nausea of this kind of anxiety?

Old 03-28-2008, 06:44 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,249,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Thanks for your responses.

I'm sorry to hear about your father, sgresident.

We are doing all we can to keep people with her; her son has moved back home, and family members have been flying in from all over the world - literally -to stay with her; we keep phoning and emailing at least once a day each, plus she has good friends nearby. Her co-workers are also helping, they are being amazing actually.

The real issue is the not-eating. She feels so sick all the time, she can't eat, but then feels tired and listless - and I'm worried this will add to her falling into a deeper depression.

I have told her to keep trying to eat, or at least drink some quality juices. She has just started taking antidepressants but still feels sick.

I wondered if anyone had found a way to allieviate the nausea of this kind of anxiety?

This sounds to be very related to her depression. The complete lack of appetite is part of that. I would have her consult with her doctor about supplements, etc to help with this. Also, the antidepressants often take a bit to kick in, so depending on what she is taking (do you know what it is?) she may feel a little worse for a few weeks before better. The big thing is that she tries to get something down each day. Even if she pukes it up, she will at least get some of the nutrients. She won't feel any better until she gets something down. Also, if this continues, she may need to go to the doctor and get an IV for fluids to help get her back up. She definitly needs to consult with her doctor and her doctor needs to help her keep on top of this as this is really dangerous.

You sound like you are being a great friend though and just keep up the support you are giving her. Whoever is physically with her just needs to make sure she eats something....anything....no matter if it'll make her puke or not. Again, this is highly related to depression so hopefully once the meds start working, she'll regain her appetite, but please, just have her check in with her doctor.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:10 PM

Thanks again jessiegirl, you are a real help

I just spoke to her and she sounded awful - it was quite early there and she didn't want to get up as she felt so sick - she said it's like bad morning sickness and she retches all the time, even thinking about food brings it on.

She told me the name of the drug but I've forgotten it - doh - tho in Australia it may have a different name.

Her doctor has no ideas how to stop the sickness as he says he "doesn't know the cause of it".

I'm going to research St John's Wort, Rescue Remedy and other remedies now, and she is going to try some of the morning sickness/travel sickness remedies like ginger snaps, fresh lemon or ginger etc.

Any other ideas, anyone???

thanks all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health