Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 05:00 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Face it, some people are just down right diabolical & that shoe fits Casey. I find no fault with her mother or father, she is a psychopath infested with demons, it's as simple as that.
you may have one of the reasons why she walked in this miscarriage of justice for that innocent child
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 07:03 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I believe she would be a sociopath.
I agree, or a sociopath....not really sure what the difference is but both appear to lack a conscience. I used to think many of these people had horrible childhoods or survived unspeakable abuse (until Columbine). From what I've read since, people with psychopathic tendencies actually do have different wiring in their brains and it's manifested at a very young age. Combine that with permissive or erratic parenting and no behavioral consequences and I imagine it's possible the result could be a person capable of murder.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:59 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times
I think she was born to be that way.

BTW, according to this, it looks like there are stages leading to how they behave. Antisocial Personality Disorder is the same as being a sociopath.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:27 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I agree, or a sociopath....not really sure what the difference is but both appear to lack a conscience. I used to think many of these people had horrible childhoods or survived unspeakable abuse (until Columbine). From what I've read since, people with psychopathic tendencies actually do have different wiring in their brains and it's manifested at a very young age. Combine that with permissive or erratic parenting and no behavioral consequences and I imagine it's possible the result could be a person capable of murder.

going way OT here, but, a lot of this sound like my DS.

Its a combination of everything, but don't blame "permissive parenting". Believe me, I tried to discipline my ds, but somehow he had a way of mainpulating others into defending his actions. With my dd, I could tell her don't touch that, don't play with that, don't run through the store, etc, no one even batted an eye.

But,with my ds, if I dared breathe a discouraging word to him, someone, somehwere, seemed to always pop out of nowhere defending him. Oh, that's ok, he's just a "wittle boy" let him do whatever....

I said it was like that kid wove a spell on people, he could control and manipulate at the age of 2. and he had the attitude (and still does) that he's the boss. Time after time I've tried to discipline him, he even gets the police on his side. There must be something wrong with the family, after all, poor wittle boy just wanted to play with the pretty credit cards, so what if he ran up thousands in charges? My, isn't that cute!

Finally, he went too far and is now in state custody.

But, please, don't blame parenting in all cases. Many times such people are so manipulative they somehow, someway, get the powers that be on their side. Only when something serious happens do others wake up and realize they've been manipulated and try to put a stop to it. Too late for poor litte Caylee---every time I see that child, my heart aches, such an angel

Old 07-06-2011, 10:48 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
She's a sociopath.

so·ci·o·path[
Noun: A person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience. More »
Wikipedia - Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster

Old 07-08-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Its a combination of everything, but don't blame "permissive parenting". Believe me, I tried to discipline my ds, but somehow he had a way of mainpulating others into defending his actions....Finally, he went too far and is now in state custody. Only when something serious happens do others wake up and realize they've been manipulated and try to put a stop to it.
No, I don't mean to blame permissive parenting at all. By itself, I doubt that parenting alone could result in a child having tendencies toward being like Casey Anthony. I just meant that from a young age, they appear to be wired differently, and that, combined with environmental influences, could lead to behavior like Anthony's.

I should have edited my post to state "psychopath" instead of "sociopath" (but you can't edit after a certain point). I'm not sure what the actual differences are between the terms. From what I've read, they're not personality disorders but are terms used in criminal law.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:55 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
My sis has components of several of the personality disorders: she lies, cheats, steals, sponges off anyone she can, has no pride or shame, abandoned her children, and has histrionic fits and delusions of grandeur. However, as far as I know, she has never killed anyone outright. When she wanted more freedom to party she took her son to a babysitter and said she had to go to the grocery store and would be back in an hour. It was 3 weeks. I'd say many with PD do disreputable things but murder is rare; however much less rare with them than the rest of the population. Perhaps cold blooded murder is exclusive to them but most of them don't. And mainly they don't because they don't want to go to prison.

I know my sis was raised in a decent home but I've seen signs of milder PD in my mother as well, and my brother and I have ADD, another wiring problem. So I do think these things run in families.

I'm not totally up on the case, but I'm not sure I would blame her mother--once your child reaches adulthood, there's almost nothing you can do--how can you keep your child from having a child? You can't. How can you make sure she raises it properly? You can try to get custody, but that takes time and you have to prove conclusively that she's not being a good parent. I have spent years trying to un-do the damage that my sis has done and now we face a huge battle with her again since my mother has dementia and sis is salivating at the thought of getting into her money. Ugh.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:46 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,535 times
The term "sociopath" is basically a lay term for Antisocial Personality Disorder. The latter is listed in the DSM-IV; the former is not. If this lady did indeed kill her daughter, and had no subsequent remorse for her actions, she would probably meet the diagnostic criteria for Antisocial Personality Disorder.

Peronality disorders are indeed considered to be mental illnesses, though they have some distinct differences from the more common diagnoses. That is why The DSM-IV classifies personality disorders differently (e.g. Axis II, vs. Axis I).

Old 07-11-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
The term "sociopath" is basically a lay term for Antisocial Personality Disorder.
But as someone pointed out on another thread, one would then have been diagnosed with Conduct Disorder at a younger age, and it's doubtful that Casey had that.

Quote:
If this lady did indeed kill her daughter, and had no subsequent remorse for her actions, she would probably meet the diagnostic criteria for Antisocial Personality Disorder.
I thought Casey did show remorse, didn't she?

From another thread where the differences between sociopathy and psychopathy were debated, it sounds as if Casey is a sociopath.

"....If you subscribe to the Hare PCL-R criteria for a psychopath, then you see the conning, manipulative narcissistic liar and user as a psychopath, as long as he or she is completely lacking in remorse or empathy. The sociopath, however, is capable of guilt, caring, building relationships, etc., but only within a certain context. He or she will have loyalties to a specific group but not to society at large. They care nothing for social norms and will break them with impunity if it serves their purpose. So, on the surface, they may resemble psychopaths. However, they might genuinely feel remorse over harming someone within their group or family. They will have a moral code specific to that context: they might not lie, exploit, or manipulate within the group. Thus, they exhibit psychopathic behaviors in certain contexts but not all. As far as I know, there is no equivalent diagnostic tool (to the PCL-R) for a sociopath."

-Dr. Katherine Ramsland, MA Forensic Psychology, MA Clinical Psychology, PhD in Philosophy, publisher of over 35 books, including The Human Predator: A Historical Chronology of Criminal Murder and Forensic Investigation.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:03 AM

299 posts, read 1,132,553 times
My sister is a psychoanalyst and her first words about CA was sociopath. I have always been an armchair psychologist myself... I believe she CLEARLY exhibits anti-social behavior and I have seen bits of narcissism.

My sister said that:
My father has Dependent personality disorder, my stepmother is Histrionic, my brother is Avoidant and my mother went from Borderline/Narcissistic and as she got older went into Schizoid. I really believe she has my mom pegged.

Oh and my half sister is almost 30, lives in the same room she grew up in, won't learn to drive a car, won't have sex, get on a plane, go to the dentist, gyno, and has never held a job in her life. She also has OCD as she use to collect her eyelashes in a container. I'm telling you... our family is a bowl of FREAKS!

I was afraid to ask what she thought of me. LOL.

Bottom line.. I think personality disorders are way more common than we think. Although, I must admit, nobody in our family has killed their offspring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health