Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 09:45 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I think you could very well be right..Maybe people stay with someone who continually disapoints them because they feel that "this" is all they'll ever have...or deserve..maybe they've come to believe that (even if he/she is abusive) a negative love is better than no love at all...Maybe they think that "this" is all they'll ever have or can expect in life. I agree it has a lot to do with self-esteem, and how we were brought up...Maybe people stay with someone who is a bully because they've experienced a seldom seen sadness, and vulnerability in that partner, and they feel they can make it right........ My only hope would be that there is some joy and happiness on the hard road they've chosen.

A tag line in a recent movie was "We accept the love we think we deserve" (or something along those lines)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 06:15 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,317,420 times
When we walk around in a "bottled-up state" some of our feelings are bound to leak out here and there..If we hate our job or feel unhappy in our marriage or just feel stressed and overburdened all the time this doesn't really make us "happy campers." So we may snap or "lose it" (in inappropriate ways) once in awhile due to all of our "internal irritations." (And the unresolved issues in our life.) Don't you think?...Of course it's better to be aware and alert at all times so we don't snap or "act-out" our frustrations and unhappiness on innocent bystanders..If I run into a clerk in a store who seems "snippy" and "snappy" I know things may not be going very well in his or her life...Same goes for people who "act-out" when they get in their cars. ("Road-rage.")...Obviously they are not very happy or at peace.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,983 times
My mother, can't stand it if everything is going smoothly. She has a narcissistic personaliity, trouble from the word go. No wonder she has no friends and her children avoid her at all costs!

Old 01-10-2013, 09:37 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,203,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I think you could very well be right..Maybe people stay with someone who continually disapoints them because they feel that "this" is all they'll ever have...or deserve..maybe they've come to believe that (even if he/she is abusive) a negative love is better than no love at all...Maybe they think that "this" is all they'll ever have or can expect in life. I agree it has a lot to do with self-esteem, and how we were brought up...Maybe people stay with someone who is a bully because they've experienced a seldom seen sadness, and vulnerability in that partner, and they feel they can make it right........ My only hope would be that there is some joy and happiness on the hard road they've chosen.
purehuman...I think you're right on. The behavior you describe is often so subconscious that people aren't aware of how much it influences their life. Darn it...I wish there was a 'pill' to cure subconscious behavior We humans often act things out and have no idea why we're doing it...it's almost like it gets woven into our DNA after a while. Heredity. Behavior like this can be in our genes when it's been around for generations. Some forms of therapy do a generational diagram in order to pinpoint generational behavior patterns...it can be very helpful. The joy and happiness can come once we've faced these behavior patterns squarely and realized that we can break the chain and actually be happy. We DESERVE happiness.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 AM

823 posts, read 1,974,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Your topics can be interesting, but I find the overuse of quotation marks confusing (the same way some people feel about my color choice, so I understand if this is not something you care to change) - the bottom line is I don't read your posts - I find them too "chaotic!"

Not sure if you are for real or not. If you are, then it's just contradictory, because you do read them. Otherwise you would not post anything on the OPs threads.

If you aren´t then you are jut "trying" to sound "sarcastic" by showing the attitude of a "partypooper" and sounding like the people the OP is referring to, and "displaying" the "attitude" she dislikes, just as I am adding "quotation marks" just because you don´t "like" them.

And to the original poster:

Some people feed on negativity for everal reasons. They feel bad and misery loves company.There's nothing you can do about it but learn to ignore them. Yes, I know it's easier said than done.

But don´t let them change you. If you feel happy about something and a partypooper shows up, keep in mind h/she feels miserable deep inside, so there's nothing you can do, it's not your battle, don´t waste energy fighting toxic people.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:36 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,117 times
Some times people don't feel good unless there is conflict in their lives...they were probably raised that way so it is their "normal"...

I use "..." way too often. It is because I am not quite finished with what I'm trying to say and actually haven't exactly figured out what it is I am saying...

I like purple...

Old 01-24-2013, 11:29 AM

17 posts, read 36,842 times
Sometimes people were not taught how to resolve conflict constructively and they continue to "act out" with little concern for the repercussions. Most do not even know they are doing it. I've had personal experience with this behavior and feel it's analogous to a malignancy that must be cut out of your life. In my case, there was very little return from the relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health