Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 01:25 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times

Advertisements

I have to get with the program here. I just can't focus on anything, or feel motivated to do stuff right now. I am in "lump" mode.

Need to get off the sofa, and pretend to give a rat tail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 11:49 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times
I think the only true unconditional love is from ones pet. I'm not able to do a thing yet, I get this way frequently with anxiety. Being alone makes it worse, nervous and no one to talk to. Then your mind goes and the bad thoughts come, everything connects. They have taken lots of old movies and shows off YouTube, thats my only source for stuff to watch now. Hate those commercials on Hulu, they are all too frequent, its irritating.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:32 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have to get with the program here. I just can't focus on anything, or feel motivated to do stuff right now. I am in "lump" mode.

Need to get off the sofa, and pretend to give a rat tail.
I lucked out and got sick, ( at my own idiocy of thinking that way) so I had a good excuse to be a lump for a few days. It was great. Except for the snot and the coughing and the aches in my body.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:25 PM

885 posts, read 1,882,087 times
Well I'm checking in here this evening. Feel very alone this new years eve.

I've got a few dogs here keeping me company infront of the fire but being in my 30's I'm sitting here watching tv wondering if I'll ever have a family to be on vacation with (as everyone I know is).. will fall asleep early and wake up to go about normal things tomorrow. Def depressed tonight though!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:00 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Default Forget What Day It Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
Well I'm checking in here this evening. Feel very alone this new years eve.

I've got a few dogs here keeping me company infront of the fire but being in my 30's I'm sitting here watching tv wondering if I'll ever have a family to be on vacation with (as everyone I know is).. will fall asleep early and wake up to go about normal things tomorrow. Def depressed tonight though!
It's easier if you forget it's New Year's Eve and simply do what you'd do on any Monday. I don't watch any of the New Year's ball drop type shows. They're boring, for one thing. Watch a movie or make some cookies or clean your sock drawer--anything to forget that it's a "couples" holiday.

Wish you were having a better evening.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:06 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times
It's easier to forget about if you aren't watching the time. I wanted to sleep but couldnt, as long as I have something on, some old show, my mind isn't as engaged with all the past losses of the year and the on going stuff. Trying to go to sleep when ya cant and all I do is go over it all, and do some pretty dark thinking about some people in this world too. I don't know how people can watch that crap on New Years Eve year after year, ya its dead boring and pretty repulsive too. I've been taking chamomile capsules, they help for a short time. But not enough. Hope everyone has a better new year. This last one has been a sad one and big disappointment for me. And I'm pretty tired of that tune.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:08 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Okay, we made it. The holiday season is over!

A new year....

Maybe I should re name this thread....and keep our group going. Looks like we have a good group here...

Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
New Years is a time of reflection for me. Look back and think of the past year and how time moves forward though ones own life still remains in a stuck in da muck state. Pollyana types online can preach about the future, but they don't really know that individual and their life. The year changes but its not like all the same problems aren't carried on with it. It's basically just another day of the same thing. One hopes and tries to figure how to make it better, but in some cases others control things, waiting on contractors that don't keep their word, on houses to sell, or on government bodies that creep slower than any animal ever alive. Nothing gripes me more than Pollyana types that spew optimism without knowing any of the facts of a situation. When you present them with facts they become angry and say you are being negative, no I'm being realistic based on the situation. Ever have anyone do that to you? It's easy to discount the wasted time when its not you that has been waiting, when its not your life.

I'm usually at my worst on very pretty, nice days, it makes me more aware I'm missing out on things. I haven't lost the anger for the ex, maybe when things get better I will.
Todd, I totally understand and can relate. I consider myself a realist too. I was thinking about what I did the last 4 New Year's after my wife left, and could only remember 1 of them. I feel like I stopped living when she left. I stopped celebrating everything, birthdays, Christmas, New Year's. Its f'ing sad. I also reflect on the previous years and always pray next year is better. It never is. This may finally be an exception because I got a new job in a new city and will never see my ex-wife again. I need a new start with a new woman. I have the jiob, finally, now I need the woman and maybe I can start being more optimistic. You need some good things to happen to you too, and I hope they do.

I have a long way to go. I'm still not confident, am an introvert, and know practically nobody in my new city. I have to work on these things and force myself out of my comfort zone. There is no choice now.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
It's easier to forget about if you aren't watching the time. I wanted to sleep but couldnt, as long as I have something on, some old show, my mind isn't as engaged with all the past losses of the year and the on going stuff. Trying to go to sleep when ya cant and all I do is go over it all, and do some pretty dark thinking about some people in this world too. I don't know how people can watch that crap on New Years Eve year after year, ya its dead boring and pretty repulsive too. I've been taking chamomile capsules, they help for a short time. But not enough. Hope everyone has a better new year. This last one has been a sad one and big disappointment for me. And I'm pretty tired of that tune.

Todd, I have the same sleep problems. Try melatonin, benadryl, or a prescription for Lunesta. Read before going to bed. No tv. Make your bedroom very dark. These are all things I've done, and they work.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:25 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Todd, I have the same sleep problems. Try melatonin, benadryl, or a prescription for Lunesta. Read before going to bed. No tv. Make your bedroom very dark. These are all things I've done, and they work.
Yes- the body responds naturally to light, any light, not just sunlight. Trying to watch TV or browse the internet right before you sleep won't work because your brain is stimulated and still thinks it's wakey wakey time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health