Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 09:39 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Jencam - yes I was suicidal. The one I was in the first time was in a city 2 hours away as that was all that was available. The second one was local. I have insurance so I don't believe they were county run. I got nothing out of it; group time made me even more anxious. When you are Baker Acted you are treated like a prisoner. Everything is taken away that could possibly be used to self harm including Breathe Rite Strips (some have a tiny wire in them), tampons (like someone is going to kill themselves with that tiny string), contact lens solution, etc. And the thing is it's more about them being afraid of liability than the hospital caring about their patients.

The last time I was in the local one, some guy was wondering the hallway. No supervision on the late night shift. This guy could have come in and killed or raped any of us women. This particular hospital already has a lawsuit against them for sexual assault by a member of staff.

I know I probably need meds but I'm so anxious about taking them especially when you hear all the side effects on the commercials.

Oh, chiluver!! Don't watch those ads...the FDA requires them to post ALL AND ANY side effects to drugs, even if it happened to like 5 people!!

I have already encouraged you to get an eval for treatment resistant depression. I take 4 psych meds and do have side effects but not enough to outweigh the benefits.

I'm going now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 06:36 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Jencam - yes I was suicidal. The one I was in the first time was in a city 2 hours away as that was all that was available. The second one was local. I have insurance so I don't believe they were county run. I got nothing out of it; group time made me even more anxious. When you are Baker Acted you are treated like a prisoner. Everything is taken away that could possibly be used to self harm including Breathe Rite Strips (some have a tiny wire in them), tampons (like someone is going to kill themselves with that tiny string), contact lens solution, etc. And the thing is it's more about them being afraid of liability than the hospital caring about their patients.

The last time I was in the local one, some guy was wondering the hallway. No supervision on the late night shift. This guy could have come in and killed or raped any of us women. This particular hospital already has a lawsuit against them for sexual assault by a member of staff.

I know I probably need meds but I'm so anxious about taking them especially when you hear all the side effects on the commercials.
I know. I worked at a state hospital for a time, and stayed friends with a psych tech there afterwards and he was the story telling type. I have about 100 second hand stories from friends who work in the field, and people who have been the prisoners.

There is a private hospital here that is supposed to be better than public, but in many ways it is worse. They are highly profit oriented. They take too many psychotic people that are supposed to be on 'one to ones' and not enough staff, so offenders are often free to wander around hurting others.

However, there are wonderful oasis that are a completely different world. I visited a friend in one, with a wonderful buffet breakfast in a nice cafeteria where no one looked like prisoners at all. They do not take court ordered holds, that is one thing that makes it better.

So there are shoelaces and tampons and access to all the things. I found her curling her hair in one of the living areas looking like she was at home, tending to her hair per usual! She LOVED it there. Almost didn't want to leave.

So, I don't know how you find that kind, but they exist. And not just for the wealthy, her insurance covered it. I think she had a 20% out of pocket?

I know she went to another nice one later after this one shut down but I didn't see her there. She just said it was basically the same. Nice. Really helped her.

I think you have to get on local forums or something to find a good one and try it. As far as being afraid of meds,,,,,yeah there are some side effects. I rant against big Pharma regularly, but the worst ones happen to like 6% of people. There is a risk with everything. There is risk in doing nothing. my rants have to do with handing them out like candy for anything, not for people who really need them.

Have you ever taken any? Did you have any bad side effects?

Old 05-28-2018, 07:56 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I've been on Depakote, Lexapro, Celexa, Cymbalta & Lamictal. I don't remember any particular side effects from those other than some minor weight gain. The problem for me was they worked great for a while (1-2 years) and then stopped working so I eventually gave up hoping my natural serotonin would kick in and I was doing okay for about 2 years but this last few months have been trying for me and I'm sure part of my current depression is circumstantial.

I have an appointment with the therapist I used to see the end of June. I was not able to find any psychiatrists that were taking new patients who didn't have a very long wait to see them AND who took my insurance. I'm hoping he can give me a referral. By the way, the one psychiatrist I had been seeing from around 2002-2007 quit seeing me after my first serious suicide attempt. Seriously are they allowed to even do that?

Old 05-28-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I've been on Depakote, Lexapro, Celexa, Cymbalta & Lamictal. I don't remember any particular side effects from those other than some minor weight gain. The problem for me was they worked great for a while (1-2 years) and then stopped working so I eventually gave up hoping my natural serotonin would kick in and I was doing okay for about 2 years but this last few months have been trying for me and I'm sure part of my current depression is circumstantial.

By the way, the one psychiatrist I had been seeing from around 2002-2007 quit seeing me after my first serious suicide attempt. Seriously are they allowed to even do that?

Did you by chance not follow any of his/her instructions??

They can see whomever they want and have the right to decline...

but what a pitiful MD to discharge you , some are selfish about protecting their practice and reputation.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:

I have an appointment with the therapist I used to see the end of June. I was not able to find any psychiatrists that were taking new patients who didn't have a very long wait to see them AND who took my insurance. I'm hoping he can give me a referral. By the way, the one psychiatrist I had been seeing from around 2002-2007 quit seeing me after my first serious suicide attempt. Seriously are they allowed to even do that?
I think so. I had a friend who was a therapist who was afraid of people with bipolar and didn't want to see them. Maybe that Dr. didn't want the legal liability or the personal liability of someone dying on them. IDK. Anybody has the right to refuse a client. I would imagine that some patients have been 'let go' for a myriad of reasons. Doing illicit drugs, being a disturbance, etc. I think they have to give you 30 days notice and 30 days of whatever meds one usually takes.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Depakote is an odd one on your list. A rather heavy mood stabilizer, and the others are anti-depressants. They do tend to quit on people and need to be augmented or changed. Some Drs think outside the box. My Mom had a good doc that used something considered old school. Trazadone. Which is still prescribed for sleep, but it's an older gen antidepressant too. Worked for her and it didn't quit on her.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Depakote is an odd one on your list. A rather heavy mood stabilizer, and the others are anti-depressants. They do tend to quit on people and need to be augmented or changed. Some Drs think outside the box. My Mom had a good doc that used something considered old school. Trazadone. Which is still prescribed for sleep, but it's an older gen antidepressant too. Worked for her and it didn't quit on her.
That's the kind of doc I hope she finds....my MD was the first I had to combine ADS for better results.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:09 AM

I think the psychiatrist let me go as a patient because of the suicide attempt which maybe caused him to feel like a failure? I don't know.

As for the Depakote, it was the first medication I was ever given for depression. It was around 1998 and the doctor in NC assumed I was bipolar because I speak very fast. She didn't realize that's how most New Yorkers talk. Anyway the medication made me manic and full of energy which I sort of liked after dealing with depression.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I think the psychiatrist let me go as a patient because of the suicide attempt which maybe caused him to feel like a failure? I don't know.

As for the Depakote, it was the first medication I was ever given for depression. It was around 1998 and the doctor in NC assumed I was bipolar because I speak very fast. She didn't realize that's how most New Yorkers talk. Anyway the medication made me manic and full of energy which I sort of liked after dealing with depression.
Depakote made you manic and full of energy?

Old 05-29-2018, 05:57 AM

Yes it did. I believe it is for people with bipolar but since I really didn't have that disorder it had that side effect on me. I wasn't a jogger back then but there I was jogging at 10 p.m. at night in not the best neighborhoods for about a week before I realized something wasn't right. But like I said, I kind of enjoyed that feeling; it made me feel almost normal. Then the doctor switched me to Lorazepam which made me extremely suicidal. Later I read that Lorazepam shouldn't be given to depressed patients unless you are also giving them an anti-depressant which she wasn't. One of the reasons I'm not real confidant about psychiatrists these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health