Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 03:16 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,648,652 times

Advertisements

If you want to know, get an evaluation from an expert. If you don't want to know, don't bother. Personally, I wanted to know through decades of my life. Very difficult decades and I realized early on that something was very wrong with me. I just had no clue what it was. I finally developed some methods of copeing with whatever it was, but that wasn't enough. I was still discontent and struggled through all those years. I wasted a lot of time, because I never knew what ADHD was. Once I finally read about it, I knew I shared a lot of symptoms with the people who have it. Not hyperactivity...never had that, but there is a subgroup of people who lack that symptom and still have a type of ADHD. So I began my journey of discovering more about this condition and eventually getting treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 03:54 PM

16,093 posts, read 6,863,630 times
I grew up a son of immigrant parents.
English was not the main language spoken in the home until much much later.
The kids on the street poked fun of my poor command of the English language at the age of 5.
I ran crying to my father.
I told my father how I felt.
He proceeded to kick me in the ass, told me to stop bitching, and pushed me
back out there to play.

Best advice of my life.

Thanks Dad. R.I.P.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:16 PM

48 posts, read 34,470 times
Find a therapist, express your concerns and maybe they'll give you skills to focus or some medication- BUT YOU DO NOT ALWAYS NEED MEDS.
I havr ADD and i never did good on meds. Made me too tired. Medication isn't the answer.

I have a hard time concentrating, remembering things and just a slow learner. I was diagnosed back in 1993. I'm 34 now. So yes you SHOULD'VE gotten an IEP and someone to help you eith this back when you were in school. Why didn't you???

Old 05-25-2018, 04:18 PM

48 posts, read 34,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
lack of focus isn't ADHD, it's lack of discipline...

why ADHD is the catch all for not learning how to focus for the past 20 years is absurd

if you can focus on something you are interested in, say playing a game or a book, then you don't have ADHD, you are just uninterested in putting in the time into something you find boring.
You're dead wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health