Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 02:52 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,735,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Howdy Pazuzu View Post
If Mexico is not a 3rd world country than why are millions of illegal immigrants from Mexico living in the U.S ? The quality of life/standard of living in Mexico sure as hell is not comparible to that of Sweden and Japan that's for damn sure. According to the human development index, Mexico does not qualify as a fully developed nation.

Absolutely, there's the posh American resort towns: Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerta Vallarta, Cozumel, Cancun etc., but that is not the
real Mexico. Most of Mexico is definitely a 3rd world country.
You can drive across the border from El Paso, Tx which is a very clean
city to Ciudad Juarez, Mexico which is filthy. You will see large areas where people live in cardboard boxes without running water.
Of course, on the flip-side the U.S.A. tends to ignore it's homeless situation that became evident across America once President Reagan released large portions of them from mental institutions. Mexico has
a few nice areas but that is not the norm. Also, 100's of Americans have been killed there over the past few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 06:25 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,519,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post

The US isn't making Mexico look bad, Mexico is making Mexico look bad.

Exactly the point, some just don't get it. Apparently do not live near the border or have no experience with Mexico.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:19 PM

93 posts, read 286,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Absolutely, there's the posh American resort towns: Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerta Vallarta, Cozumel, Cancun etc., but that is not the
real Mexico. Most of Mexico is definitely a 3rd world country.
You can drive across the border from El Paso, Tx which is a very clean
city to Ciudad Juarez, Mexico which is filthy. You will see large areas where people live in cardboard boxes without running water.
Of course, on the flip-side the U.S.A. tends to ignore it's homeless situation that became evident across America once President Reagan released large portions of them from mental institutions. Mexico has
a few nice areas but that is not the norm. Also, 100's of Americans have been killed there over the past few years.
3rd world has nothing to do with economic development a third world nation is a nation that remained neutral in the Cold War between the US and the USSR.

Mexico is a Newly Industrialized country that shows many of the qualities of a developed nations, but hasn't entirely broken through the barrier to developed status. Only 15% of Mexicans are living off of less than $10,000 a year. Your statement Kirby, is one that would have been widely accepted in the 80s, but is increasingly untrue. Mexico is not Somalia. Most Mexicans have a decent standard of living, there is a reason why Mexico is classified as an "Upper-Middle Income" nation. Visit Bolivia and that is what a lower-middle income nation looks like. Visit Malawi, Rwanda and several other sub-saharan nations, and you'll see that Mexico is not the hellhole Hollywood and the Media have romanticized.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXAdvent View Post
3rd world has nothing to do with economic development a third world nation is a nation that remained neutral in the Cold War between the US and the USSR.

Mexico is a Newly Industrialized country that shows many of the qualities of a developed nations, but hasn't entirely broken through the barrier to developed status. Only 15% of Mexicans are living off of less than $10,000 a year. Your statement Kirby, is one that would have been widely accepted in the 80s, but is increasingly untrue. Mexico is not Somalia. Most Mexicans have a decent standard of living, there is a reason why Mexico is classified as an "Upper-Middle Income" nation. Visit Bolivia and that is what a lower-middle income nation looks like. Visit Malawi, Rwanda and several other sub-saharan nations, and you'll see that Mexico is not the hellhole Hollywood and the Media have romanticized.
i go to tiajuana frequently lots of contruction lots of middle class affluence between TJ and tecate.
but the poor live pretty much like b4. shanty town existence. 20 bucks a day for a contruction worker does not buy much in TJ, has approximately same cost of food and water as here.
i am not sure i agree that mexico is not a hellhole. the 20 million illegal here, and what they had to endure to get here and stay here, attest to the condition of the working person in mexico.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:06 AM

the estimates of illegal drug trade made by the mexican government remind me of estimates by iran of the holocaust . it never happened.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:08 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,735,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i go to tiajuana frequently lots of contruction lots of middle class affluence between TJ and tecate.
but the poor live pretty much like b4. shanty town existence. 20 bucks a day for a contruction worker does not buy much in TJ, has approximately same cost of food and water as here.
i am not sure i agree that mexico is not a hellhole. the 20 million illegal here, and what they had to endure to get here and stay here, attest to the condition of the working person in mexico.
Absolutely.
I am able to travel around the globe due to my work. I have seen impoverished nations. Mexico has a long,long way to go. I know people
who live in Cabo San Lucas, Ajijic [near Lake Chapala], and San Miguel de
Allende but again these places are acceptions to the Mexican norm.
These friends of mine who live there still must travel to the U.S. for certain things [mainly medical].

Old 09-07-2010, 02:36 AM

i dont think USA is to blame for mexican image worldwide. mexico needs some trickle down in their economy its not happening. like the mideast, small sector of incredibly rich people and the rest starve. drugs violence and illegal immigration are not the answer.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:19 AM

the image i get of how mexico is treating the united states is when the high elevation trees dont get enough water-- the trees get sick and then the beetles attack them and the trees die. a mexican expression "dicho" "cuando un arbor cae, todo quieren hacer lena". when a tree falls everybody wants to make firewood.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:55 PM

186 posts, read 611,795 times
You mean "arbol."

Old 09-07-2010, 03:17 PM

93 posts, read 286,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Absolutely.
I am able to travel around the globe due to my work. I have seen impoverished nations. Mexico has a long,long way to go. I know people
who live in Cabo San Lucas, Ajijic [near Lake Chapala], and San Miguel de
Allende but again these places are acceptions to the Mexican norm.
These friends of mine who live there still must travel to the U.S. for certain things [mainly medical].
I have travelled all over the world too. Poverty in Mexico is not as bad as it is in nations such as Mali, Nigeria, Bolivia, and several others. Mexico might seem like it is not largely developed when compared to developed nations such as Japan, Norway or Canada, but when you compare it to other middle-income nations, Mexico is by far on the top end of that scale, along with Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico