Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:57 AM

78,450 posts, read 60,652,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianovich View Post
I`m not mexican,but i could said that US contributes to create a bad image of the mexicans,because they have the conviction that all mexicans are smallers,ignorants and poor people too,really in the USA`s TV shows the mexicans as a the bad people,also they shows as a libertine people because when the "gringos" are cross the border line specially for the summer partys i can to watch that they saids that the mexicans are crazier people,so there are an arguments that i`m considering now.
I think that is a glass half empty argument.

Every country has it's issues and problems and Mexico is no exception. The news in particular ALWAYS pushes the sensational we are just more sensitive to it when it's aimed at ourselves.

Heck, look at all the press about the oil spill and what that did to Florida's tourism? Not much ever reached Florida but the news constantly harping on it scared many people away and cost the state billions.

So many people in the US have friends, family etc. that are at least 1/4 if not 1/2 or more latino it's not rare at all. I can tell you for a fact that my friends mom (native mexico city) had some harsh words for the corruption in mexico herself....just like I voice my dislike for the corruption I see in Chicago having lived there.

Personally, where I live I view the mexicans as hard working, generally fairly religious and trying to improve their lives. Granted, when you get closer to the border there are more issues so attitudes vary across the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 07:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikua View Post
I have actually known some "illegal" Mexicans and have had extensive conversation with them concerning the similar roots of our tribal factions and absolutely NONE of them have ever said anything bad about Mexico. In fact, they mentioned how they hear how great it is here in America and when they get here, they realize that "Americans" are really not nice people. They say they would not have come here if they knew the truth but now that they went through the trouble, they can make enough money to go back home. And some just get caught up in the web of lies that is this "great place".
I live right on the border, and a lot of Mexicans say terrible things about Mexico. They make every excuse to be here even illegally. They'll insist that people are starving to death in Mexico, that they and their children would starve to death. They prefer to live illegally in the USA than legally in their own country - and that isn't a few people, that is millions of people.

However - I also know people in Mexico who wouldn't live anywhere else. There's a big difference between people who happily live in Mexico and are trying to make it a great country and those who sneak into the USA and then demand their rights and rewards for breaking the laws of this country.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:56 PM

469 posts, read 1,257,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I live right on the border, and a lot of Mexicans say terrible things about Mexico. They make every excuse to be here even illegally. They'll insist that people are starving to death in Mexico, that they and their children would starve to death. They prefer to live illegally in the USA than legally in their own country - and that isn't a few people, that is millions of people.
I cannot argue with your experience, but mine is completely contrary. I also live on the border, and I have dozens of "illegal" friends and family from Mexico. I don't know any of these people who make "excuses" to be here, and absolutely NONE who say anything negative about their homeland, per se. Mexico has problems, just as any country has its problems – and they are terrible problems to resolve – but nevertheless do not dissuade Mexico's expatriate citizens from loving their country absolutely, just as we love ours despite the US having a zillion problems.

Frankly, it's hard to find many illegal Mexicans who do not want, or intend, to return someday to Mexico.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
I cannot argue with your experience, but mine is completely contrary. I also live on the border, and I have dozens of "illegal" friends and family from Mexico. I don't know any of these people who make "excuses" to be here, and absolutely NONE who say anything negative about their homeland, per se. Mexico has problems, just as any country has its problems – and they are terrible problems to resolve – but nevertheless do not dissuade Mexico's expatriate citizens from loving their country absolutely, just as we love ours despite the US having a zillion problems.

Frankly, it's hard to find many illegal Mexicans who do not want, or intend, to return someday to Mexico.
They intended to return home someday at first but once they get their kids smuggled over here and as you can see they're demanding the Dream Act now for them, it's obvious they no longer intend to return home.

If they had plans to go home, you wouldn't see them marching in the streets demanding their quick and easy citizenship as their reward for coming here illegally. And did you notice how many of them stopped waving their Mexican flags when their leaders realized that hurts their image and cause of easy USA citizenship and now you see them out waving American flags?

And once any give birth in the USA with our fat welfare checks and food stamps, they don't have any intention of giving up all that.

No illegal demanding amnesty plans to return home ever except to party and vacation with the nice American dollars.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:15 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,869,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXAdvent View Post
I have travelled all over the world too. Poverty in Mexico is not as bad as it is in nations such as Mali, Nigeria, Bolivia, and several others. Mexico might seem like it is not largely developed when compared to developed nations such as Japan, Norway or Canada, but when you compare it to other middle-income nations, Mexico is by far on the top end of that scale, along with Russia.
Where were you in Nigeria, I was in the Cross River State, between Uyo and Abak. Most of my experience with Mexico was either in "La Cuidad" or Veracruz, with forays out into bush country.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
They intended to return home someday at first but once they get their kids smuggled over here and as you can see they're demanding the Dream Act now for them, it's obvious they no longer intend to return home.

If they had plans to go home, you wouldn't see them marching in the streets demanding their quick and easy citizenship as their reward for coming here illegally. And did you notice how many of them stopped waving their Mexican flags when their leaders realized that hurts their image and cause of easy USA citizenship and now you see them out waving American flags?

And once any give birth in the USA with our fat welfare checks and food stamps, they don't have any intention of giving up all that.

No illegal demanding amnesty plans to return home ever except to party and vacation with the nice American dollars.
You throw the word "demand" around a lot, and characterize things in a way that generally aren't so. Too many unsupported and vague "they/them" references in your comments for coherent discussion.

The Dream Act is a way for some high school graduates to EARN the right to permanent US residency by achieving a college degree or completing military service. It's a win-win.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:18 PM

By the way, let's get back on topic, please: "USA contributes to create a bad image of México."

Don't we have enough bash-an-illegal-Mexican posts already???

Old 09-20-2010, 10:10 PM

88 posts, read 205,397 times
I totally agree; the USA contributes by over sensationalizing the "drug war", consuming mass quantitys of drugs, selling weapons to the narcos, etc.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:16 PM

177 posts, read 256,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tono.eslo4 View Post
I totally agree; the USA contributes by over sensationalizing the "drug war", consuming mass quantitys of drugs, selling weapons to the narcos, etc.
I say that they are contributing to something they created.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:18 PM

88 posts, read 205,397 times
Quote:
And who is behind most of that? It's the illegals from Mexico who are the first to claim that Mexico is so bad they can't live in it, being deported back to their homeland is worse than what the Nazis did to the Jews when they sent them to gas chambers.

The majority of Americans really don't travel much to Mexico and get their impressions of Mexico from it's people who make every excuse to come here illegally - very often claiming their children would starve to death if they had to return home, and insisting that the only way they can better themselves or be educated is to live illegally in the USA which gives the impression to people that there are no schools in Mexico. Yes it's a lie but you hear it all the time.

And more and more Mexicans themselves are insisting they be given "refugee" status and all the government assistance that goes with that, insisting they had to leave because it's too horrible for them in their country.

The people themselves are the best or worst ambassadors of a country. Just like Mexicans get impressions of Americans and the USA from the tourists who visit Mexico, Americans get impressions of Mexico by the illegals pouring over the border.
Not true, mexicans are not starving; there are 1 milliion americans living in Mexico full time, and every year about 15 million americans come to Mexico as tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico