Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 02:51 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Mexican President Felipe Calderon defended his anti-drug policy on Thursday, saying he regrets that many people have died in its wake, but would not apologize for having sent federal forces into the streets to combat crime.
Quote:
But Calderon was unrepentant. "Who will confront those bands?" he asked. "I prefer to take the criticism, even though it may be unfair, than the charge of conscience of having not acted while seeing that a problem existed."
I have to agree with the president. Its sad that many people have died at the hands of these criminals but it would have been worse if the government would have done nothing about it. I don't understand these protests against the government for fighting the cartels.

On another note, "El Chango" was detained. One less drug lord on the streets.

Mexico's president defends anti-drug policy - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 05:11 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,996,369 times
There are protests because many people in Mexico are paid members of the cartels. They also hate seeing an active government that is "fixing" an American problem. And I don't feel bad for the majority killed. They were narcos. What do you think was going to happen?

Old 06-24-2011, 07:57 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,664 times
Some people in Mexico blames Calderon for this 40,000 deaths, truth is the majority of this deaths are in hands of narco.

Yes, for mistake the army has been killed some innocent people, but this are a very low percentage. All the media put the attention when the army kill some innocents but don't say nothing about the missing and killed by narcos.

The poet son was kidnapped and killed by narcos, no by federal forces, the federal police get the responsible of this death in record time, so I really don't understand the movement of Sicilia, it looks like he's against the army and the police.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:09 PM

70 posts, read 129,524 times
No mas sangre.

Its not just the dead civilans because of calderon's war; a country where the military is used to do police work is not a very promising one...

don you SERIOUSLY think the military is trained to do police work and watch basic human rights and liberties of a "free country"?

think about that..

Last edited by yosoy1; 06-24-2011 at 12:17 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 10:36 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoy1 View Post
No mas sangre.

Its not just the dead civilans because of calderon's war; a country where the military is used to do police work is not a very promising one...

don you SERIOUSLY think the military is trained to do police work and watch basic human rights and liberties of a "free country"?

think about that..
From what I've seen the police there are not trained to do police work, either. Half of them are corrupt and the other half are incompetent. Not to mention that the police forces there are outmanned and outgunned, especially in rural areas and smaller towns.

The military isn't the proper tool for law enforcement but they are necessary until the police agencies can be rebuilt.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
There are protests because many people in Mexico are paid members of the cartels. They also hate seeing an active government that is "fixing" an American problem. And I don't feel bad for the majority killed. They were narcos. What do you think was going to happen?
I don't have sympathy for those that bought into the whole narco subculture. This is not the Mexico that I grew up in and love.

I do have compassion for those that were innocently killed. Yes, they are hundreds and possibly thousands. Remember the cartel member that was ordered to stop trucks with immigrants from Central America? He killed most of them. Or the busses that were stopped and the cartels killed all on board, throwing out the bodies one at a time by the side of the road. These were all innocent people. Yes, I am worried about the innocent and what that may look like in the future if it is not stopped now.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
Some people in Mexico blames Calderon for this 40,000 deaths, truth is the majority of this deaths are in hands of narco.

Yes, for mistake the army has been killed some innocent people, but this are a very low percentage. All the media put the attention when the army kill some innocents but don't say nothing about the missing and killed by narcos.

The poet son was kidnapped and killed by narcos, no by federal forces, the federal police get the responsible of this death in record time, so I really don't understand the movement of Sicilia, it looks like he's against the army and the police.
In the hands of the narcos and the US ATF that supply these narcos. That is who is to blame for the violence. I agree with you inombrable. The whole Sicilia movement is misguided.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoy1 View Post
No mas sangre.

think about that..
I agree no more bloodshed. Can we also include, no more living in fear? If we don't stop these cartels they will finally take over our country Mexico. Who will be the next victims? Is that what we want for the future generation? Should we just tell the children that there is plenty of work in the drug dealing industry? That they could rise from being poor to rich drug lords or hit men? This is not what I want for our future generation.

Less than two months ago my mother went to Mexico. She never made it to our hometown in Zacatecas because our family stopped her and told her the zetas had just taken over the town and the military was on their way to control everything. Zetas had threatened the schools with bombs. Markets, schools, everything was closed and everyone went home to hide behind closed doors.

I still remember hearing my aunts over the phone worried because my uncle went to pick up the kids from school and couldn't find them among the students. Luckily they were on their way home. This is not the kind of life I want for my family or myself. We have become so accustomed to hearing about these stories that many are no longer perturbed. They have become desensitized.

Who do you want to hand over the country to ( or your freedom)? The drug lords or the children of tomorrow, assuming the children will have a better and more promising future.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
From what I've seen the police there are not trained to do police work, either. Half of them are corrupt and the other half are incompetent. Not to mention that the police forces there are outmanned and outgunned, especially in rural areas and smaller towns.

The military isn't the proper tool for law enforcement but they are necessary until the police agencies can be rebuilt.
Many cartel members are former military members. They do this on purpose to get training. That said, the military is still 10 times better than local law enforcement...agreed.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:40 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,996,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
In the hands of the narcos and the US ATF that supply these narcos. That is who is to blame for the violence. I agree with you inombrable. The whole Sicilia movement is misguided.
The US ATF does NOT supply the narco's. Quit blaming them, the amount of weapons the naro's receive come from either the Mexican military or the Russian mafia or other Latin America military looking for easy money. Sorry to burst your bubble, but the majority of weapons do not come from the states. So you have to blame the evil gringos for something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico