Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 6,633 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am thinking about traveling to Sinaloa, Los Mochis/Guasave to be exact, and it would be next year. I am from the United States and I feel sick when it comes to thinking about traveling there. I would be going to see my fiance and meeting his family.

My fiance tells me not to worry, however, I cannot help it. I'm even wondering if me and him should just meet up in Los Cabos instead. But that would cost even more. Or maybe he could meet me at the airport in Mexico where I am supposed to have a layover. I'm SO nervous about being by myself, but I have no one else to go with me. So would him meeting me where I'm supposed to have a layover be a good idea? Or would I be relatively safe on my own? Do I have anything to really worry about? I've researched and read contradicting things about traveling to Sinaloa: It is safe and the media really exaggerates things and then I've read that it is extremely dangerous and it would be better to not go at all.

So anything that you could tell me about Sinaloa, Los Mochis, and/or Guasave would be so helpful! Also the plane tickets are very expensive. I've researched and they are over $1,000! Is this normal? I'm thinking of traveling at the end of April 2012. Are there any websites out there for maybe a slight bit cheaper ticket?

Thank you SO much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 11:14 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
I have driven thru those two places many times some yrs back. If you don't speak Spanish and are a single Gringa it would be hard for you. As for Cabo, that's down at the tip of Baja. I've driven down that way many times also. Try a direct flight to the nearest city to where your going. Stop over flights cost more. Cheapest ticket would be from a Mexican airport to where your going. Mexican airlines leaving the US are International and only go to major cities.

Not sure what part of the US your leaving from but you need a flight to the closest city on the US side that has a Mexican plane going to the Mexican interior.

Check online the various Airlines that service Mexico from the US. Type in your proposed city (airport) tentative leaving and return dates and they will come up with a composite/comparison $$$ figure. Mexicana is NO longer in business so try Aeromexico and a couple of new Mexican Airlines that are now offering thrift saving tickets into different cities in Mexico. I did that last month for a friend of mine for flights from San Diego or TJ going to Hermosillo, Sonora. A relative had to drive a long distance to pick up and return them to the airport. You may have the same problem with Los Mochis etc. There are greyhound type of busses called "Autobus" that are reasonable taking passengers about every hr on the clock to the smaller cities.

Wish you luck with your proposed trip.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:42 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,592,513 times
We flew from San Diego to Los Mochis a couple of years ago (for a train trip to the Copper Canyons). If your fiance is picking you up at the airport at Los Mochis, you have nothing to worry about. It's just another (smallish) airport. If you're planning to continue on to Guasave by yourself, then the only problem I foresee you might have would be, as the previous poster noted, if you don't speak Spanish. Also, don't be 'showy'. That's advice I'd give anyone travelling to anywhere - not just Mexico.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
It could be extremely dangerous if you had some kind of ties with a cartel, otherwise it's not. 99.9% of the people getting killed had the wrong kind of "connections".

Old 12-21-2011, 01:13 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,777,876 times

MOCHIKOS® CON LAS BELLAS EDECANES !!! MUY BUENOS BAILES EN EL ESTADIO!! - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico