Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2015, 12:07 AM

4 posts, read 3,724 times

Advertisements

I'm Mexican.
I would say about 25% of Mexicans are almost completely Indian. Most can be found in the southernmost states.

Whites, depends on what you consider white. American/German type of white I would say 1%. Spanish mediterranean white, I would say about 15-20%.

The rest are mixed, varying from dark to spanish white. Probably half and half and everything in between. Some mixed can be fairly white. If we take fairly white or sort of white = white as some other latin american countries, then probably about 45% of the population is fairly white, majority being in western and northern states, and a chunk of the middle class in central cities.

Afro-Mexicans, which are mixed too with Indian, rarely you will see a pure black, I would say maybe about 5%, most living in the coastal areas.

What I tend to find is that a lot of Americans don't consider white anyone that is not American/German, northern european white. In that case, then yes 99% of the population doesn't look like that.

When I say sort of white, I mean people that would look like Selena Gomez/Demi Lovato (just talking about appearance, not the ethnicity of the latter).

Last edited by ferchotech; 08-28-2015 at 01:06 AM..

Old 12-17-2015, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
At one time in Mexico there were more African slaves than Spaniards and about as many slaves as Indians because small pox deciminated the Indian population. Mixing is what allowed those with Indian blood to survive the diseases brought over because the Africans and Europeans had genetic immunity. After slavery ended, immigration from Europe continued but not from Africa.

Mexico had a black president, Vicente Guerrero. The very popular soup called menudo was introduced by African slaves. African influences may go back much further, the Olmecs "baby heads" would indicate that.
Menudo does not come from africans. Menudo is a spanish and basque tripe soup. Perhaps the moors introduced a variation of menudo in Andalucia, and the Basques being sheepherders definitely eat tripe soup and the recipe is very similar. These iberians came to Mexico and brought over their cuisine and often time added chile to the recipes. I have never heard of menudo being African in origin, but i have heard africans being slaves in latin countries and taking on latino recipes.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,904 times
There was a recent article of 2015 that Mexico has finally acknowledged the african population. Mexico like Spain has a small african population that was brought over as slaves. they were never acknowledged, whereas mestizo was encouraged which is iberians mixing with mexican indians; thus creating the Mexican race of people, some being more spanish and others more indian, but all Mexican. the africans never really fitting in were known as mulattos which was and still is a very small population. the ancient olmecs were indigenous indians that created the foundation of civilization for the rest of the indigenous of peoples of mexico to follow, and no they were not african, but amer-indian like the aztecs, mayans, etc.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:07 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
Can many Mexicans trace their ancestry back to conversos (Jews who were forced to become Catholics in Spain)?

Old 04-15-2016, 04:50 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Can many Mexicans trace their ancestry back to conversos (Jews who were forced to become Catholics in Spain)?
Possibly, but I would not say "many" as the number of conversos was pretty small proportionally.

Most of the early Spanish settlers to Mexico did come from Andalucia and the Estremedura. Thus the dominance of "ez" ending names in Mexico- or so I have been told. Andalucia would have been the home of the conversos.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:52 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,233,655 times
Yes, cities like Monterrey his founders were conversos.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:14 PM

143 posts, read 192,098 times
weird..
i was just thinking the same question..

i was standing outside my Hostel, drinking a red bull, when this attractive girl in spandex came out of no where.
she was acting real shy so i asked her if she was looking for a place.

she spoke English!
she said she's from here and had a house, but was curious about the price.. weird.
it was probably an excuse to talk to me.

anyhow..
she looked Phillipino. (im Asian.. so can usually tell the difference)
i was shocked when she told me she was 100% Mexican.
i was more mesmerized by her beauty and firm ass... but it got me thinking about Mexican genes.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:16 AM

122 posts, read 113,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

Not really, as conversos tried to hide their origin. A converso could not be a "hidalgo" as they had "polluted blood" (as moorish conversos).

As soon as they arrived to the new world, they did their best to get rid of the "sanbenito"....more so taking into account that the Inquisition was also present in America.

The only place you can find straight descendants of conversos in America is Puerto Rico, perhaps Cuba. They received many "xuetes" from Palma de Mallorca quite recently.

Ducth islands in the Caribbean also hosted many Spanish conversos that fled to the Low Countries.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
Yes, cities like Monterrey his founders were conversos.

Carvajal, he was jailed by the Inquisition and died in prison.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Willis View Post
I thought that I read that more Europeans arrived to Mexico during the Porfiriato, mainly to Mexico City. Didn't these people also mix with the mestizo Mexicans?
No, as they were expelled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico