Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 03:01 PM

35 posts, read 148,517 times

Advertisements

I could see it happening, in my dreams.. I think Mexico and the USA should start some kind of "trade program".. with young qualified workers coming to the USA on Temporary work visas, and retired American citizens allowed more property rights in Mexico (yes, even on the coasts!)

I see both countries benefiting greatly from this...

infusion of american retirement dollars
legal course of immigration to the states for all of their labor surplus

both benefit.. anybody like this idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 05:15 PM

33 posts, read 124,374 times
Time for US,Mexico,and Canada to united into one currency. I believe it would be as successful as the EU with the Euro

Old 01-10-2008, 07:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Many people seem to believe that with a little bit of help from America, Mexico will become a strong first world country with a middle class comparable to the United States.
A "little help" from the USA won't change a thing because the USA gives Mexico a whole lot of help and every time it just ends up in the bank accounts of the corrupt elites.

NAFTA was supposed to be a little help -- and it moved people off farms and into low-wage maquilas. They were better off with owning farms and reforms could have been made but keeping Mexicans working and owning their own lands.

One problem is that the maquilas prefer the more docile Mexican female workers, the men often have little recourse but to head to the USA and leave their families behind. Women working for very little pay with inadequate child care is going to wreak havoc -- it already has because the crime rate in Mexico is skyrocketing whereas pre-NAFTA, Mexico was not a particularly violent country.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:18 PM

let's get serious, it's not going to "hurt" the US dollar by any means... I think we've yet to see rock bottom though... can it possibly get worse?.. will I ever see europe again??

Old 01-12-2008, 07:44 PM

33 posts, read 119,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
Considering how the economy and morals in this country are on the verge of collapse,it is fair to ask if this country will still be a first world country (if it is now) on January 1, 2051?
Man , that's for sure . El PRI may have been the most corrupt bunch of political despots in history of the Americas, well , up to the present U.S. admisistration anyway.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:46 PM

167 posts, read 214,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
There is a history of some countries moving from the third world to the first world. Examples include Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, Spain, Italy and Portugal. The European examples were very poor before the second world war, but since they have become modernized they have really changed economically.

All the Countries above have a completely different social culture than Mexico which is not all that interested in education or tommorrow. I think what holds Mexico back is the culture. People live for the day, in most successful cultures-- people live for tommorrow and education is key.
Completely Agreed!

Old 01-13-2008, 06:51 PM

I don't think Spain, Italy and Portugal are all that much different then Mexico really. At least the attitude toward industry/work. I think you could make the point with the asian countries, but not Western Europe.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:19 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaTraveler View Post
I don't think Spain, Italy and Portugal are all that much different then Mexico really. At least the attitude toward industry/work. I think you could make the point with the asian countries, but not Western Europe.
I would say Spain is a whole lot lazier than Mexico. Look at their work day and average productivity.

Then again, it really was never a 3rd world country. Nor was Italy or Portugal.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:16 AM

I don't know about that, I was in a hospital in Barcelona in 2005 and the X-ray equipment still had SS symbols on it! When they wrapped my GF's broken ankle, they used Plaster of Paris!... talk about antiquated... I really don't think you can call spain/italy/portugal legitimate "1st world" countries, sure there is plenty of modernity in the urban areas, but the rural areas are still quite "campy"

Mexico is not a "third world" country, in fact it is classified as a "medium income" country in most books/almanacs/etc.

Just my .o2

Old 11-16-2008, 10:31 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,755 times
Mexico will never become a first world country with a high HDI. Although I wish it did because than most Mexican illegals would leave the U.S and return to where they came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico