Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2008, 04:55 PM

13 posts, read 42,147 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new to the forum - have lived in Mexico for 38 years and I LOVE it. I am willing to answer any direct questions about living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 04:12 PM

267 posts, read 1,290,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
He'd did mention that his place got "ripped off" twice already since he'd been down there possibly due to an inside job. (what a shame)
That's not the first time that I've heard of a resident in a supposed secure community that's gated get ripped off. The last time I heard that the security guard of this one gated community in Baja was in on it. I'd watch those security guards like a pit bull. In fact, maybe you should purchase a pit bull if you live in Mexico, though come to think of it they're not hard for a robber to deal with if the robber has his mind set on victimizing you.

Last edited by hotornot; 05-08-2008 at 04:23 PM..

Old 05-08-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
While the border crossing can take a couple hours during rush hour (not an exaggeration), there is a "Sentri pass" that allows preapproved, frequent travelers to bypass much of the traffic. However, the application process is thorough and a clean record is mandatory.
The SENTRI pass is a must have if you can get your hands on it. The only bad thing is that our government has a zero tolerance policy for any criminal activity committed in your lifetime. If you were arrested for anything, you will be denied the highly desired SENTRI pass. My info is one year old and I notice your post is one year old. Does anyone know if our government has loosened up this regulation any?

Old 05-08-2008, 04:44 PM

Cool ripped off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotornot View Post
That's not the first time that I've heard of a resident in a supposed secure community that's gated get ripped off. The last time I heard that the security guard of this one gated community in Baja was in on it. I'd watch those security guards like a pit bull. In fact, maybe you should purchase a pit bull if you live in Mexico, though come to think of it they're not hard for a robber to deal with if the robber has his mind set on victimizing you.

Friends, I have lived here in Mexico for 38 years and have never been robbed - not my home, not in the street, not a car ................. all it takes is common sense and protect your property - now your going to say nobody gets robbed in the US !

Old 05-08-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlight.mx View Post
Friends, I have lived here in Mexico for 38 years and have never been robbed - not my home, not in the street, not a car ................. all it takes is common sense and protect your property - now your going to say nobody gets robbed in the US !
38 years? Sounds like you're on a roll.

What measures do you have in place to protect your car, your residence, and your life?

Old 05-08-2008, 06:08 PM

Default safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotornot View Post
38 years? Sounds like you're on a roll.

What measures do you have in place to protect your car, your residence, and your life?
Just normal everyday run of the mill common sense - park in safe places, walk in safe places, keep my home locked when I am not there and have 4 brave if small dogs ( the cats are probably more threatening ) - we do not flaunt wealth ( not that we have any ) The outside of the house is not affluent looking - inside is better. OH - and the most important avoid Mexico City like the plague !!!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 06:42 PM

Default saftey

Quote:
Just normal everyday run of the mill common sense - park in safe places, walk in safe places, keep my home locked when I am not there and have 4 brave if small dogs ( the cats are probably more threatening ) - we do not flaunt wealth ( not that we have any ) The outside of the house is not affluent looking - inside is better. OH - and the most important avoid Mexico City like the plague !!!!!
The only time I was ever afaid in all these years were the two years I spent in Mexico City 1998 -2000 - and then I was afraid every day - I saw more criminal activity than years of watching AXN !!

Old 05-08-2008, 08:13 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,962,690 times
Now here we go, the right person has come around to help those interested in Mexico. My small living 15 yrs and another persons 45 yrs (visiting where?) is nothing to LIVING 38 Years in the country. Hope this person has some NICE INFO to back up my previous experiences in Mexico that were posted earlier that will legitimize my statements. Stefhen PS. My computer took a few days vacation (crashed) without my permission and only started to work again this afternoon after pickup from computer people. Steve

Old 05-09-2008, 08:44 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,448,513 times
Quote:
The only time I was ever afaid in all these years were the two years I spent in Mexico City 1998 -2000 - and then I was afraid every day - I saw more criminal activity than years of watching AXN !!
It is true that Mexico City is not the safest place in the world, but in my opinion is not that bad, I've lived here for 29 years

which colonia did you live in when you stayed in Mexico city?

Old 05-09-2008, 09:19 AM

Default Mexico City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
It is true that Mexico City is not the safest place in the world, but in my opinion is not that bad, I've lived here for 29 years

which colonia did you live in when you stayed in Mexico city?
We lived two blocks from the caseta de Cuernavaca, rented apartment in the Club de Golf, Talpan a "good" neighborhood; but I worked in Tepito...........

The only job I could get was as General manager for a warehouse of "imported" athletic footwear ( ak - made in China Nike, Adidas, Reebok, etc. etc. ) at half the salary I would have made in León. When we went ( my hubby asked me to support us while he did a pediatric surgery residency - he was 35 at that time ) I was 50 -with an excellent curriculum - three languages, tons of administrative experience, excellent references - so I went with very high expectations of getting a GOOD job. I worked at getting that GOOD job for 7 months - got to know MC as if I were a "ruletero" - but as soon as age was mentioned ( then I could have passed for 38 if I tried hard ) down came the curtain. Took all the dates off of my resume and had tons of interviews but as soon as "50" came all hope were dashed. The people who were doing the interview were about 22 or 23 .......................... and were instructed to hire no one over 35. There was no way in he"aven" that someone 35 could offer all the experience and know how I had.

So many negative experiences - incredible !!! It certainly was a learning experience tho.

= I love provincial Mexico and would recommend it to all but Mexico City - unless you have $$$ and can live in a good gated community, have a good car, and fabulous health insurance - - no.

I went with three pages of legal paper filled with all the museums and theaters and attractions that Mexico City has to offer, Mexico City has neighborhoods that are truly fantastic, and the restaurants are also terrific - but after seeing my first "hold-up killing" about two weeks after getting there I lived in fear for our lives the whole time and only twice in two years did we go to the theater. Now I pay not to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico