Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:47 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,543 times

Advertisements

Why do Mexicans refer to people from America as Anglo?
Most of us have no English ancestry and we do not refer to Mexicans as Spaniards.
I call myself an American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 09:49 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
that is not what they called me, no no that would have been nice.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:57 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Most of us have no English ancestry and we do not refer to Mexicans as Spaniards.
Mexicans call the Black, Asian and Hispanic Americans "Anglos" too?

Nobody calls Americans "Anglos" where have you heard this?

Now Gringo is very common, but for some reason White Americans are offended by this term.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

Now Gringo is very common, but for some reason White Americans are offended by this term.
I've seen two recently set movies in which Americans were referred to, by Mexicans, as Anglos.
It was also mentioned in another thread.

What do the Mexicans call Americans who are Black, Asian and Hispanic?

Old 11-26-2008, 03:09 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,969,397 times
Quote:
Not Anglo that's for damn sure. Mexicans only refer to Americans who do not have slanted eyes, do not speak Spanish as a first language, and are mostly or entirely of European descent as Anglos.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:53 PM

983 posts, read 3,599,466 times
Jeff Jarrett, did you grow up in a town with a large Latino community?

Old 11-26-2008, 07:46 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,561,099 times
Quote:
I've had years of experience in these matters...and I don't believe I've ever heard a Mexican use the word "anglo"....'Anglo', in my experience, is mainly a construct of the American mind, and is MAINLY used only in contrast to 'Hispanic'..in other words, it doesn't really describe anything, except "not being Hispanic".....and of course, even 'Hispanic' can mean just about anything anyone wants it to mean, depending on the particular conversation.

An interesting comparison might be the Amish, in Pennsylvania...they seem to refer to EVERYONE out in greater US society as "the English". Pretty silly, partially because MOST non-Amish Americans aren't English at all..yet, it works for them....

My all-time favorite for 'silliness'?..it's "people of Color"...try defining THAT one! I can't think of any defining characteristic of a "POC"...except one. No common language, culture, physical characteristic, nothing..except being 'not white'. Pretty vague concept, right?

"Anglo" and "Hispanic" may be a LITTLE easier to categorize....but not much.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:51 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

Here in Arizona any non Hispanic White regardless of ethnicity is an Anglo.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:00 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,438,946 times
Quote:
I've seen two recently set movies in which Americans were referred to, by Mexicans, as Anglos.
It was also mentioned in another thread.

I've never heard someone from Mexico referring to an American as anglo, usually Americano, Gringo, Estadunidense, Norteamericano are used, Gringo seems to be the most popular, but some people feels offended so Americano is preferred.

Americans who are Black, Asian or Hispanic are usually called Gringos or Americanos, etc too, if they are americans, although Hispanics specially those of Mexican descent are also called Chicanos or Pochos, which means Mexican American.

Black Americans can also be called Negro or Negrito, which in mexico hasn't a negative connotation, for example.

Three americans came to my house yesterday, they were very nice and kind, there was a blond man, a fair skinned man and a black one, it was a pleasure to meet them

Tres americanos vinieron a mi casa ayer, ellos fueron muy amables y educados, había un guero, un moreno y un negro, fue un placer conocerlos.

Asians could also be called Asiaticos, although again if they come from America and speak english, most people will call them Americanos, Gringos, etc regardless of their race.

Mexicans also call America, Gringolandia, El gabacho, El chuco, etc, a lot of friends from the States find Gringolandia very funny and they like to use it. I had an american boss, who was always called el gringo, and he called himself like that too he used Gringolandia a lot!

Regards!

Old 11-29-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I've never heard someone from Mexico referring to an American as anglo, usually Americano, Gringo, Estadunidense, Norteamericano are used, Gringo seems to be the most popular, but some people feels offended so Americano is preferred.

Americans who are Black, Asian or Hispanic are usually called Gringos or Americanos, etc too, if they are americans, although Hispanics specially those of Mexican descent are also called Chicanos or Pochos, which means Mexican American.

Black Americans can also be called Negro or Negrito, which in mexico hasn't a negative connotation, for example.

Three americans came to my house yesterday, they were very nice and kind, there was a blond man, a fair skinned man and a black one, it was a pleasure to meet them

Tres americanos vinieron a mi casa ayer, ellos fueron muy amables y educados, había un guero, un moreno y un negro, fue un placer conocerlos.

Asians could also be called Asiaticos, although again if they come from America and speak english, most people will call them Americanos, Gringos, etc regardless of their race.

Mexicans also call America, Gringolandia, El gabacho, El chuco, etc, a lot of friends from the States find Gringolandia very funny and they like to use it. I had an american boss, who was always called el gringo, and he called himself like that too he used Gringolandia a lot!

Regards!
It seems that Mexicans have lot of names for us. None of them very flattering. What's the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico