Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:08 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
It seems that Mexicans have lot of names for us. None of them very flattering. What's the problem?
And what Flattering name do Americans have for Mexicans? "mojado" and "mojado del agua salada"

Seriously TomDot many folks have answered your original question, many have never heard white americans called "anglos". Now it just looks like you are trying to incite an argument based on name calling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 10:51 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There isn't anything wrong with "estadounidense" or "americano". I have no problem being called either. I think it's mostly Mexicans in the USA that use the slur word "anglo" to lump all "white" Americans in one group as though everyone has one ethnicity. I don't think Mexicans in Mexico use it much.
I just had a conversation with my sister about this very phenomenon - she has a neighbor who claims to be of Cuban origin, and in a conversation he used the expression "you anglos" with her. Ironically, we have nothing to do with England as our heritage is strictly Eastern European. She was so flabbergasted by this "anglos" category she didn't know how to tell him how offended she was. I told her to use the expression "you Mexicans" next time she talks to him and see how he likes it.

Seriously folks, ignorance swings both ways.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:03 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I just had a conversation with my sister about this very phenomenon - she has a neighbor who claims to be of Cuban origin, and in a conversation he used the expression "you anglos" with her. Ironically, we have nothing to do with England as our heritage is strictly Eastern European. She was so flabbergasted by this "anglos" category she didn't know how to tell him how offended she was. I told her to use the expression "you Mexicans" next time she talks to him and see how he likes it.

Good post. Ignorance is rampant pretty much everywhere when speaking of race or ethnicity. Just as I often correct "Anglos" that Hispanic is a cultural label and arguably an ethnicity but NOT a race, I constantly have to correct Hispanics that "Anglo" doesn't equal "non-Hispanic white" - people of Italian, Portuguese, French, Greek, Slavic, Middle Eastern, etc. origin are NOT "Anglo." Though some people on this forum argue that most people in this country use "Anglo" and "non-Hispanic white" interchangeably, I will respond with one of my favorite sayings: being wrong in greater numbers doesn't make you any more right.

I agree with malamute that the whole "Anglo" thing is only prevalent here in the US. You don't really hear it outside of this country unless it's used in the correct way: that is, in reference to Anglo-Saxon culture.

Last edited by Marlin331; 12-01-2008 at 11:14 AM..

Old 12-01-2008, 02:01 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,078 times
Just like many people nowadays are using "Spanish" as if it where the same as Latino

Old 12-01-2008, 02:10 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
And what Flattering name do Americans have for Mexicans? "mojado" and "mojado del agua salada"
You're the first guy I've heard in 10 years using the "agua salada" term....never heard it used myself, except ONCE....a co-worker from Guatemala often used it teasingly to refer to his brother-in-law from Cuba, ALSO a co-worker. Funny FUNNY guys, lots of fun....married to two sisters from Mexico.

I DID hear it once in English, but assumed the user had just picked it up from the guy like I did....have you seriously ever heard it in reference to Mexicans?

Old 12-01-2008, 02:34 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You're the first guy I've heard in 10 years using the "agua salada" term....never heard it used myself, except ONCE....a co-worker from Guatemala often used it teasingly to refer to his brother-in-law from Cuba, ALSO a co-worker. Funny FUNNY guys, lots of fun....married to two sisters from Mexico.

I DID hear it once in English, but assumed the user had just picked it up from the guy like I did....have you seriously ever heard it in reference to Mexicans?
The english version yes, not often but I do hear it. But most of the time just "mojado" by itself in english.

It is not flattering at all, but it is commonly used and much worse than "gringo" or "gabacho".

But I would love to hear a "flattering" name that Americans call Mexicans please share.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:25 PM

983 posts, read 3,597,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think it's mostly Mexicans in the USA that use the slur word "anglo" to lump all "white" Americans in one group as though everyone has one ethnicity. I don't think Mexicans in Mexico use it much.
It's not only Mexicans who use the term "Anglo" for "White". It is used widely in many areas regardless whether one's Asian or Black or Latino or White.

Saludos

Old 12-01-2008, 05:23 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
But most of the time just "mojado" by itself in english.

It is not flattering at all, but it is commonly used and much worse than "gringo" or "gabacho".

But I would love to hear a "flattering" name that Americans call Mexicans please share.
You've got me there..I just jumped into this thread for laughs, and I agree with you that there are probably few flattering nicknames used by Americans in reference to Mexicans.

I can only suggest you consider my usual stance regarding the differences in culture....I don't think MOST nicknames are considered "flattering" in the Anglo culture...(if in fact there is such a thing). Most nicknames I can think of off hand, particularly those referring to nationalities, are "abrupt", unflattering, or dismissive at BEST....and insulting at worst.

"Krauts"? "Wops"? "Paddies"? "Squareheads"? "Limeys"? "Kiwis"? "Frogs"?"Dagos"? Pol@cks ?"....NONE of these are flattering.(and these are all WHITE people !)... Many 'national labels' are far worse....quite offensive and racist...and in that context, I don't think there's any special disrespect for Mexicans. As I said, they're ALL disrespectful, in our modern culture..

I heard "beaner" just a few weeks ago, for the first time in years (hollered from a passing carload of 'punks'..in YOSEMITE, of all places)....it was disconcerting, but again, beans are vegetables, not people....

Actually, some years ago, I frequently heard the "W.B." term you're referring to, used by Mexican-Americans to describe illegals. Disrespectful,and in bad taste...but hardly a 'racist' term in that context, even though we both realize these SAME guys would feel differently when the term was used by OTHERS against them.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:34 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

Well: as you know; I am of 1/2 Hungarian heritage and I self identify as an Anglo White here in Arizona.

That stated: I have cousins in Venezuela also of Hungarian lineage----------here in the US said 'Magyars' would be counted as Hispanic.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:50 PM

956 posts, read 3,001,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I'd say that they were two people with good taste--they would make some pretty babies!
But the babies sure wouldn't be Anglo-Saxon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico