Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:58 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
To the English people here: Celtic or Anglo-Saxon bloodline? | Antimoon Forum

Interesting questions and comments -- apparently the English may not be all that "anglo" or "anglo-saxon", someone on this site claims DNA studies show them to be more celt or pre-celt or viking.

I'm not really sure why it makes such a big difference to people today, why we would need ancient labels for ancient tribes applied at all. A great number of us are mixes of whatever.
Youre still talking about race.

Anglophone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 11:17 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,440 times
Excuse my ignorance but when I am in Mexico or even here with my family I do say..."Los Americanos".
But when around friends and we are all Americans, whether Asian, African American, etc., what would be the appropriate term without offending white people, if we are all Americans?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:54 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,423,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
If I make a mistake, I would rather someone educate me and point out my mistake. When you fight ignorance with more ignorance you get nowhere.
Not always true - when I suggested my sister refer to him as 'you Mexicans' (knowing he is Cuban) he would of course object to this and "set straight" the truth. At which point, my sister would have the opportunity to explain why his 'you Anglos' was rude and inaccurate. Some people do not understand a point unless they can identify with it, so they need an example that is personal to them.

I was not suggesting to my sister to merely insult him and walk away and I apologize if that is how you interpreted my original post.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Agreed.

Anyways, when Americans are referred to as "Anglo", I think it has more to do with Anglo culture, as opposed to Hispanic culture.
Anglo=Hispanic.
Anglo culture=English speaking.
That is just not the case. I speak English, am caucasian, was born and raised in California, and I have zilch to do with "Anglo culture". How do you define "Anglo culture" anyways - anyone who speaks English according to your quoted equation? And that would be blatantly incorrect.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:08 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,159 times
You give it a treatment so far-fetched to something that is extremely simple.

Are told by Anglos who speak English, nothing to do with culture, origins, and so on.

That you give it a negative connotation to a simple adjective surprise me.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
You give it a treatment so far-fetched to something that is extremely simple.

Are told by Anglos who speak English, nothing to do with culture, origins, and so on.

That you give it a negative connotation to a simple adjective surprise me.
I am not sure if you are addressing every "Anglo" in general, or just my post - but let it be known, I don't perceive a negative connotation to the noun or adjective "Anglo" - my objection is that it doesn't apply to me, so I would appreciate if it was not used to describe me. If the word Anglo is being used to describe caucasian Americans in general, and at the same time, also anyone who speaks English, then clearly it is a meaningless word.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:05 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The english version yes, not often but I do hear it. But most of the time just "mojado" by itself in english

It is not flattering at all, but it is commonly used and much worse than "gringo" or "gabacho".
Depends how ''Gringo'' is used. Many of my mexican co workers call me gringo times and yet we are all down so i'm not offended but it could be used as a racial slur on the same token.

Kinda like some Blacks calling each other the ''N word'' and not being offended but if someone called them that word in a racial slur then it changes things.

Most of the time they call me Negrito because i tan dark very easily when working out doors. Must be my roman or ''latin'' blood line from my southern european mom.

Vale !!

Old 12-03-2008, 11:12 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
To the English people here: Celtic or Anglo-Saxon bloodline? | Antimoon Forum

Interesting questions and comments -- apparently the English may not be all that "anglo" or "anglo-saxon", someone on this site claims DNA studies show them to be more celt or pre-celt or viking.

I'm not really sure why it makes such a big difference to people today, why we would need ancient labels for ancient tribes applied at all. A great number of us are mixes of whatever.
Well the Anglo Saxon's and the Vikings (Scandanavians) are still Germanic. Also alot of English have Roman or Latin blood in them as the Romans inhabited the southern part of Britain from 55 B.C. to 410 A.D. when the Romans had to leave to fight the invading Goths and never returned again.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:06 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
That is just not the case. I speak English, am caucasian, was born and raised in California, and I have zilch to do with "Anglo culture". How do you define "Anglo culture" anyways - anyone who speaks English according to your quoted equation? And that would be blatantly incorrect.
Like I just posted above:

Anglophone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anglosphere - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The United States was an offshoot of England,
just like Mexico and most of South/Central America are an offshoot of Spain.

Mexico and the other countries are considered "Hispanic". People from there are considered Hispanic or Latino, no matter what their race.

When people think of the United States, they usually think of white people as being the main population, just like a lot of people only consider the mestizo population of Mexico. So the stereotyped American is the anglo.
So it's mostly an umbrella term for the white people in America.

What's the big deal about this anyways?
It seems like making a big deal about nothing.
Shrug it off as an umbrella term for the established white population in the United States.

Us Americans get offended by the smallest, pettiest things. Mexican culture is more open to nicknames without getting all offended. You always see them calling each other Gorda, Flakita, Feita, etc. Try that in the U.S.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:18 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,669,352 times
The problem with this is that less than half of people in the United States are of "Anglo" origin. If it is used in a cultural sense - in that the United States is an "Anglo" country - then millions of Italians, Eastern European Jews, Russians, Greeks, Middle Easterners, and Hispanics that are born and raised in the United States would have to be labeled "Anglo" as well. I have a feeling that this would not go over well.

If you want to refer to Americans as a group, just say "American." I have honestly noticed that most Mexicans refer to Americans as "estadounidenses" or "americanos" anyway (which is accurate and doesn't present any problems) and that "Anglo" is more of a term that Mexican-Americans use to describe non-Hispanic white people (and of course, this use of incorrect when applied to non-Hispanic whites as a group).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico