Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 AM

758 posts, read 2,241,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Yes but random violence and shootings exists everywhere in the world, even in the USA people dies by random fire on a frequent basis, and not because of that you are going to hide under your chair holding your breath because you might be killed today.

Organized crime is everywhere in the 4 corners of the world, so everybody could be involved with it and you might not even know, this isn't an exclusivity of Mexico.

... I don't know fella. Crime in Mexico is unique and is a real threat to the stability of the country. So nothing has happened to you, and I am very happy for you... but I have been a victim of crime time and time again. Ive gotten assaulted on the subway, had my car stolen while I wasn't, there, and had my car stolen while I was sitting in traffic. One time, in Veracruz, I got into an accident and when the other car's passengers got out, they were impatiently telling me to just get out of here. After I refused and got my insurance company on the phone line, they said, "Do you know who the zetas are? Do you really want to mess with us" and then they opened up their trunk to reveal an arsenal of weapons, at which I quickly acquiesced and drove off. I've been had by taxis a couple of times. A family member of mine got kidnapped in Mexico City a couple years ago and was taken on an express kidnapping, where they made him withdraw the maximum from his ATM card. Maybe I'm unlucky. Maybe it's the fact that I'm a light skinned, 6'2 robust male? Doubt it... but who knows.

I don't know why you haven't been a victim of crime, but if you still live in Mexico, remember, you have a lot of life left to live. It'll happen.

We can't compare ourselves to other crime ridden countries. Comparing our crime rates to South Africa's or Brazil's is like a bunch of dumb kids comparing their remedial math homework to each other.

It makes my skin curl when Mexicans try to compare crime in the U.S. to crime in Mexico. Yes, it happens, but random violence is rare. You can complain about the school shootings in the U.S., and say there hasn't been anything like it in Mexico (by the way it has)... but crime in Mexico is a real and chronic problem that isn't comparable to the U.S.'s crime rate. When you ask Americans what their biggest concerns are, its the economy, unemployment, terrorism, illegal immigration, etc. In Mexico, crime, corrpution and security are at the top of the list.

If you try to counter with official crime statistics, don't bother. They are grossly underrepresentative of reality: Out of all the crimes I've been a victim of, I've only reported car thefts, since I needed the report to submit a claim to the insurance company. Even when my car got broken into and the radion stolen, I figured it'd be cheaper to go to a body shop than pay the deductible so I didn't report it. People don't report crimes because it sometimes only makes the situation worse.

And if you try to say that violence only happens in the border areas, the good people of Michoacan, Guerrero, Sinaloa, Baja California del Sur, Veracruz, Chiapas, Oaxaca, Morelos,Edo. Mexico, D.F, Jalisco, (Almost 70% of the population) etc.... would disagree.

For a tourist that will stick to resort areas, or a person visiting Mexico city and staynig in the CBD or the nice neighborhoods (Polanco, Condesa, etc), their chances of being a victim of crime are slim, but real. It would be irresponsible for us to assure them that they are 100% safe. But I would still encourage people to visit Mexico... because it's the most beautiful country in the world. Despite what has happened to me, I go back time and time again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 10:25 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
... I don't know fella. Crime in Mexico is unique and is a real threat to the stability of the country. So nothing has happened to you, and I am very happy for you... but I have been a victim of crime time and time again. Ive gotten assaulted on the subway, had my car stolen while I wasn't, there, and had my car stolen while I was sitting in traffic. One time, in Veracruz, I got into an accident and when the other car's passengers got out, they were impatiently telling me to just get out of here. After I refused and got my insurance company on the phone line, they said, "Do you know who the zetas are? Do you really want to mess with us" and then they opened up their trunk to reveal an arsenal of weapons, at which I quickly acquiesced and drove off. I've been had by taxis a couple of times. A family member of mine got kidnapped in Mexico City a couple years ago and was taken on an express kidnapping, where they made him withdraw the maximum from his ATM card. Maybe I'm unlucky. Maybe it's the fact that I'm a light skinned, 6'2 robust male? Doubt it... but who knows.

I don't know why you haven't been a victim of crime, but if you still live in Mexico, remember, you have a lot of life left to live. It'll happen.

We can't compare ourselves to other crime ridden countries. Comparing our crime rates to South Africa's or Brazil's is like a bunch of dumb kids comparing their remedial math homework to each other.

It makes my skin curl when Mexicans try to compare crime in the U.S. to crime in Mexico. Yes, it happens, but random violence is rare. You can complain about the school shootings in the U.S., and say there hasn't been anything like it in Mexico (by the way it has)... but crime in Mexico is a real and chronic problem that isn't comparable to the U.S.'s crime rate. When you ask Americans what their biggest concerns are, its the economy, unemployment, terrorism, illegal immigration, etc. In Mexico, crime, corrpution and security are at the top of the list.

If you try to counter with official crime statistics, don't bother. They are grossly underrepresentative of reality: Out of all the crimes I've been a victim of, I've only reported car thefts, since I needed the report to submit a claim to the insurance company. Even when my car got broken into and the radion stolen, I figured it'd be cheaper to go to a body shop than pay the deductible so I didn't report it. People don't report crimes because it sometimes only makes the situation worse.

And if you try to say that violence only happens in the border areas, the good people of Michoacan, Guerrero, Sinaloa, Baja California del Sur, Veracruz, Chiapas, Oaxaca, Morelos,Edo. Mexico, D.F, Jalisco, (Almost 70% of the population) etc.... would disagree.

For a tourist that will stick to resort areas, or a person visiting Mexico city and staynig in the CBD or the nice neighborhoods (Polanco, Condesa, etc), their chances of being a victim of crime are slim, but real. It would be irresponsible for us to assure them that they are 100% safe. But I would still encourage people to visit Mexico... because it's the most beautiful country in the world. Despite what has happened to me, I go back time and time again.
With due respect, that's a typical attitude of Mexicans who live outside Mexico, they always complain about how terrible and dangerous Mexico is, yes there is a violence problem in this country and it's getting worse, but again it isn't really that bad, at least not in Mexico city, I have to accept it has gotten worse in several cities and I don't doubt that it could get even worse but we don't know the future. And besides that things aren't really that bad to make me consider leaving the country, or living in fear for my safety, I don't really believe in thinking that I'll be a victim of crime someday, it might happen yes, but it isn't an unavoidable fate. Of course it is irresponsible to say that people will be 100% safe anywhere in the world, because there is no such a thing as 100% safety that's just plain common sense.

Now I didn't say that violence just happen in border areas, several regions of the country have conflicts now, I believe this is a direct result of the war against drugs that the government is waging, I don't know if this war is a good thing or not or if something good will come out of it, but so far the "strategy" the government is following has just made the cartels more violent than ever. Yet I still have faith things will get better overtime, we've seen worse and this country has survived and thrived, yes even with all it's problems Mexico's a better place now than it was 30 years ago, and it will still get better, the problems we face as a nation help to the growth and evolution of the government and society, running away from them only makes things worse.

You say that comparing the crime rates of Brazil and Mexico is like comparing remedial math homeworks, I see it more as a group of students, where some students get the A's, others the B's and so on, Mexico would be on the group that gets the C's compared to the rest, so objectively yes we have a violence problem in Mexico, but it isn't affecting the entire country at least not yet, and outside zones like Juarez the risks of loosing your life or being a victim of organized crmie are slim if you use your common sense.

Now finally, Brazil is a country full of problems too, but their citizens don't run away some do but they aren't the majority, they confront them and the country is slowly turning around, Mexico too but most people in Mexico don't see it, it's easier to complain, or look excuses for running away, Juarez is an special case but even there some people will remain.

Many people in this country refuse to give up, yes even in Juarez I have friends that will remain there even though many others have moved to Mexico city or El paso, it has always been this people who's built this country and who will continue making it better.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
With due respect, that's a typical attitude of Mexicans who live outside Mexico, they always complain about how terrible and dangerous Mexico is, yes there is a violence problem in this country and it's getting worse, but again it isn't really that bad, at least not in Mexico city, I have to accept it has gotten worse in several cities and I don't doubt that it could get even worse but we don't know the future. And besides that things aren't really that bad to make me consider leaving the country, or living in fear for my safety, I don't really believe in thinking that I'll be a victim of crime someday, it might happen yes, but it isn't an unavoidable fate. Of course it is irresponsible to say that people will be 100% safe anywhere in the world, because there is no such a thing as 100% safety that's just plain common sense.

Now I didn't say that violence just happen in border areas, several regions of the country have conflicts now, I believe this is a direct result of the war against drugs that the government is waging, I don't know if this war is a good thing or not or if something good will come out of it, but so far the "strategy" the government is following has just made the cartels more violent than ever. Yet I still have faith things will get better overtime, we've seen worse and this country has survived and thrived, yes even with all it's problems Mexico's a better place now than it was 30 years ago, and it will still get better, the problems we face as a nation help to the growth and evolution of the government and society, running away from them only makes things worse.

You say that comparing the crime rates of Brazil and Mexico is like comparing remedial math homeworks, I see it more as a group of students, where some students get the A's, others the B's and so on, Mexico would be on the group that gets the C's compared to the rest, so objectively yes we have a violence problem in Mexico, but it isn't affecting the entire country at least not yet, and outside zones like Juarez the risks of loosing your life or being a victim of organized crmie are slim if you use your common sense.

Now finally, Brazil is a country full of problems too, but their citizens don't run away some do but they aren't the majority, they confront them and the country is slowly turning around, Mexico too but most people in Mexico don't see it, it's easier to complain, or look excuses for running away, Juarez is an special case but even there some people will remain.

Many people in this country refuse to give up, yes even in Juarez I have friends that will remain there even though many others have moved to Mexico city or El paso, it has always been this people who's built this country and who will continue making it better.
Well that's an optimistic outlook.

Are my first-hand encounters with crime imaginary? When I go to a Starbuck's on reforma, is there a fully armed police man standing outside the store because of how safe the city is? Are insurance premiums in Mexico (esp. Mexico City) through the roof compared to elsewhere because it's so safe in Mexico? Do people have rejas on all their windows and doors because they feel safe in their homes? Instead of flagging down a random taxi from the street, do i have to walk block after block for a sitio because the city is just as unsafe as any other? Do the rich live in fortified presidios because they feel their young are safe?

I'm sorry fella, Mexico is way more unsafe than other countries. It's not just consequential of the drug war. Or have u forgotten the wave of kidnapping in Mexico City about 5 yrs ago? When I was in college, I did a semester of studies in China. I stand out like a sore-thumb in China, and I felt safer there, than being a Mexican in my own land.

I 'gave up' on Mexico because there was no hope for me and my little girl here. Sorry, fella, but my family comes first, then me, then my extended family, and then maybe my motherland. I come from a middle class family that was able to afford private bilingual education for us and able to pay for my college in full, and with this , i could probably have a nice little house, a car, and live a comfortable life AT BEST in Mexico. But I wouldn't have been able to go much further than that. And my children and I would have to constantly live in fear. In the U.S., I had a business idea, a bank lent me 500k, and my business has taken off succesfully. My employees don't steal, my equipment lies safely in the field, my investment is safe, and I don't need to bribe local strongmen that would extort money from me. And most importantly, I can sleep at night knowing that my little girl is much less likely to witness or or be a victim of crime here than in Mexico.

I love Mexico, fella, but I have to call it like it is.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:38 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Well that's an optimistic outlook.

Are my first-hand encounters with crime imaginary? When I go to a Starbuck's on reforma, is there a fully armed police man standing outside the store because of how safe the city is? Are insurance premiums in Mexico (esp. Mexico City) through the roof compared to elsewhere because it's so safe in Mexico? Do people have rejas on all their windows and doors because they feel safe in their homes? Instead of flagging down a random taxi from the street, do i have to walk block after block for a sitio because the city is just as unsafe as any other? Do the rich live in fortified presidios because they feel their young are safe?
Ok let's see things in an objective light, you say I'm an optimist I say you are too pesimist let's see.

First of all, you can have an encounter with crime anywehre you go, or not specially in a city as big as Mexico city, but that's very different to assume that if you live in Mexico city you are doomed to be a victim of crime sooner or later and there's no escape, I know people who lives here that have been victim of theft, yup I know people that has been robbed when they are in an ATM machine, I also know people that have never been victims of crime in their entire life in Mexico city.

I've taken thousands of taxis in Mexico city during my entire life yes in the street and nothing has ever happened, I know thousands of people in Mexico city that do the same thing everyday but they apply common sense, chilangos know our turf, so we check if the taxi is legitimate first. Just think how many millions of inhabitants live in Mexico city? how many millios take a cab everyday to go to their jobs if taxis were as unsafe as you said the city would have been already paralized, I tried to find info about insurance primes, unfortunately I couldn't find any hard data to give a more objective point of view but come on, I have car insurance, most people I know do to, and it isn't unpayable or anything unfortunately I can't compare the prices of insurance as I couldn't find that info but if you do be my guest.

Now the rich and powerful of every country live like that, or are you going to tell me that there are no gated communities in the USA? or that Americans don't know what bars, fences or gates are? there are also plenty of middle class neighboorhoods in Mexico city and throughout the country that don't live in bunkers.

Quote:
I'm sorry fella, Mexico is way more unsafe than other countries. It's not just consequential of the drug war. Or have u forgotten the wave of kidnapping in Mexico City about 5 yrs ago? When I was in college, I did a semester of studies in China. I stand out like a sore-thumb in China, and I felt safer there, than being a Mexican in my own land.
Way more unsafe than which countries? it might be unsafer than the USA and Canada and Switzerland yes, but we are more or less on the same level of Brazil, even better, I don't know how safe China is but come on, the more I read you the more you sound like the typical Mexican who lives abroad does. You know I've lived in the USA, I also lived in Brazil for a long time and I've lived in Mexico most of my life, I've never felt unsafe at least not to the point of fearing for my life. And yes I remember the wave of kidnappings but it's gotten better since then at least in Mexico city it has.

Quote:
I 'gave up' on Mexico because there was no hope for me and my little girl here. Sorry, fella, but my family comes first, then me, then my extended family, and then maybe my motherland. I come from a middle class family that was able to afford private bilingual education for us and able to pay for my college in full, and with this , i could probably have a nice little house, a car, and live a comfortable life AT BEST in Mexico. But I wouldn't have been able to go much further than that. And my children and I would have to constantly live in fear. In the U.S., I had a business idea, a bank lent me 500k, and my business has taken off succesfully. My employees don't steal, my equipment lies safely in the field, my investment is safe, and I don't need to bribe local strongmen that would extort money from me. And most importantly, I can sleep at night knowing that my little girl is much less likely to witness or or be a victim of crime here than in Mexico.
I'm very sad to hear that although I disagree, I believe there is always hope and I also believe that things aren't remotely as bleak as you paint them, maybe if I lived in Juarez I'd have a diferent opinion, but most of the people I know and myself, who are middle class Mexicans who live more or less comfortably won't agree, not all my friends have kids but some do, and yes we all worry about insecurity but not to the point of leaving, most middle class people I know are more concerned by the fact that the PRI might return again to the presidency or the inefficiency of the government making the needed reforms than insecurity.

Now, I know how the system works here, but it isn't as black an white as you paint it, my former in law for example has a bottling and packaging enterprise, and he was constantly pestered by the "authorities" seeking bribes, if he refused to bribe them, they would look for something out of order and attack him there, but they were only able to do this because he had irregular things behind him, if everything was in order this wouldn't have happened, I also know several owners of micro, small or medium business that keep their accounts and everything in order and constantly tell of the corrupt cops. Now I don't know much of the farming trade but how come there are many succesful entrepreneurs in the country you just described? how are they able to be succesful under such a difficult environment? And tell me, so all the mexican employees steal? and no american employee will steal at all? so this is what you call reality?

I'm glad at your success in the USA and I'm happy that you had the chance to go there if your life is more succesful there even though I don't agree with your outlook in Mexico, but I'll tell you something I know why you think like that, first because you already gave up on Mexico so what's the point of seeing the good? It will just make you doubt about the decision you made, I also lived abroad for some time, and whenever I missed my country I had to convince myself of how bad things were and how I had to leave, etc that was before I had the chance to see other countries that aren't the USA and then see Mexico in a very different light. And I'm not alone, most of the people I know think the same, sure there is always the ocasional whinner who keeps complaining about how bad everything is and how there is no escape, etc but those people are the minority, because even with all the problems Mexico has, the big majority of the people living here don't want to go somewhere else. We also tend to disccuss how much has this country improved since we were childs, before there was no democracy, no macroeconomic stability, infrastructure was way worse than today, there was no freedom of speech, etc, sure we have problems now, all countries do, these problems are what make countries and societies mature and become better, running away from the problem has never done any good to no one. We also discuss about the first world and most of us have agreed that going to a first world country is needed only in the case you are seeking something you can't do in Mexico, if you want to be an astrounaut for example, or want to work in high technology research, etc but other than that you'll be doing pretty much what you did here, perhaps you'll earn more but you'll also spend a lot more, it's always a tradeoff you always loose something in order to gain something else.

Quote:
I love Mexico, fella, but I have to call it like it is.
I love it too, and I still believe that, it is your perception not the absolute reality, I don't claim to have the absolute reality either but I'll tell you something, I'm really happy that most Mexicans don't think like that, there have been really hard times during mankind's history and there have been really hard times during the history of every country, but eventually things are turned around, and they are turned around by those you call optimistic, if everybody just gave up at the first hardship then and only then there would be no hope left. for me Mexico is a country in ascention, I wish the ascention went faster though but these things take time, Brazil is slightly better now because they've been a democracy for a longer time, the violence and other problems we are currently facing are growing pains, we wanted democracy and freedom of speech? ok let's now see what we do with it, we finally reached macroeconomic stability yes but that's not the end of the road, now unequality has to be fought, every problem we are able to solve will make us stronger.

Regards

Last edited by Travelling fella; 04-06-2010 at 06:55 PM..

Old 04-07-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:

I'm very sad to hear that although I disagree, I believe there is always hope and I also believe that things aren't remotely as bleak as you paint them, maybe if I lived in Juarez I'd have a diferent opinion, but most of the people I know and myself, who are middle class Mexicans who live more or less comfortably won't agree, not all my friends have kids but some do, and yes we all worry about insecurity but not to the point of leaving, most middle class people I know are more concerned by the fact that the PRI might return again to the presidency or the inefficiency of the government making the needed reforms than insecurity.
I left Juarez long before it was the crap town that it is now. I left Juarez when it was actually easier to get a job there than the rest of the nation.

Quote:
Now, I know how the system works here, but it isn't as black an white as you paint it, my former in law for example has a bottling and packaging enterprise, and he was constantly pestered by the "authorities" seeking bribes, if he refused to bribe them, they would look for something out of order and attack him there, but they were only able to do this because he had irregular things behind him, if everything was in order this wouldn't have happened, I also know several owners of micro, small or medium business that keep their accounts and everything in order and constantly tell of the corrupt cops. Now I don't know much of the farming trade but how come there are many succesful entrepreneurs in the country you just described? how are they able to be succesful under such a difficult environment? And tell me, so all the mexican employees steal? and no american employee will steal at all? so this is what you call reality?

You outlined the inherent problem in doing business in Mexico and the risks you take. The problem is that, if I had my books in order, if they really wanted to shaft me, they'd find a way to do it. They would find or make up something to spite me for not giving them a bribe or paying them off. How come there are so many succesful entrepreneurs? Well, it's called corruption, cronism, nepotism, monopolies and chronic oligarchy. The richest man in Mexico, and the world, started out by inheriting a state-run monopoly. With the money he indeed made wise investments and now is the richest man, but the initial investment for his wealth was made through a very unfair monopoly. Stories like these abound. Unfortunately, my family was only middle class, and didn't have the 'hook ups' with government officials. But... if there is a gene for entrepreneurship, we all have it. All my siblings and my cousins who live in the states are all their own bosses in one way or another. Maybe it would have been the same in Mexico, but without as much money. Who knows.

And I'm not saying that Mexicans are genetically predisposed to steal and no American employee doesn't. Most of my employees are Mexicans born stateside. It's just the environment in Mexico to do so. And it's not imaginary... I know how the work environment is in Mexico. Yes, there are many hardworking people, but it's the environment that if you are in the position that you can steal or screw the boss a little bit, you'll do it enough not to get caught. No, not everyone does it... but I know I'd run a highesr risk of it happening it to me in Mexico than in the States. It's really consequential of poverty and destitution, I totally understand that. And in many instances, it's a very uncaring and selfish boss or strongman that's in charge, so people don't think twice. In the U.S., all my employees get a bonus if profits go up. Overall, they have a somewhat o ownership of the company, and they don't see the need to steal.

But that's the corporate culture in Mexico. Strongman on top, peons on the bottom. No corporate responsibility, etc. And employment laws are very sticky... once you hire someone, if you fire them you have to pay them all these extra months of severance.

Quote:
I'm glad at your success in the USA and I'm happy that you had the chance to go there if your life is more succesful there even though I don't agree with your outlook in Mexico, but I'll tell you something I know why you think like that, first because you already gave up on Mexico so what's the point of seeing the good? It will just make you doubt about the decision you made, I also lived abroad for some time, and whenever I missed my country I had to convince myself of how bad things were and how I had to leave, etc that was before I had the chance to see other countries that aren't the USA and then see Mexico in a very different light.
Regards
Conversely, you are so optiimistic because you are there. Something ties you to Mexico, whether it's the inability to travel, or just the over-romantic feeling of Mexico. You have to convince yourself that Mexico is worth staying in. You have to convince yourself that it's not so bad. So what if people only make 3000 MXP a month in Mexico City? At least there are starbucks on reforma, a beautiful new building by chapultepec park, dozens of Sanborns where most Mexicans can only afford to peruse through magazines and go to the bathroom. So what if Ecatepec still doesn't have running water, and over a million people living there? At least the center of the city is nicer than it used to be and there are more nice cars on the road. So what if crime shoots through the roof and everyone is affected by it? Hasn't happened to me yet, so I'm good. So what if my cellphone bill is twice what it would be in the United States in real dollars at least the cost of food is lo... oop nevermind. At least the cost of housing is lo...op nevermind. At least taxes are... oop, nevermind. I guess this is what you call progress.

I do respect you, however... because you honestly believe in Mexico. I wish I had the gall to do that. While 20-30 million Mexicans have jumped the titanic, you stand at the helm of the boat and say, "aw cmon guys, the water isn't thatcold. "

Back on the topic of crime: it probably isn't as bad as I say it is. I've just had very bad experiences. And yes, I am bitter. I am bitted I had to leave...I love Mexico. And I wish it would get it's act together... because even though I own a house... even though I won my own business. ... it still feels like I am away from home. Nothing beats like being in your own country.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:43 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
I had to laugh a little on a couple of last posts here.

Sanborns...oh yes...people standing and reading the magazines but too cheap to buy one. Saw this all the time...and yes...people do use the bathroom there. Either that or go to VIPS or Burger Boy if your money is real low.

I always wondered the logic in having a security guard (no weapon) outside the entrance to a toy store...the place can't be rolling in the dough that much. Then again with the low wages they will hire anyone. Do imagine that the hand always out for the tips especially in parking lots can add up at the end of the day.

Steve

Old 04-09-2010, 01:58 PM

11 posts, read 35,146 times
Default Violence in Mexico

Personally, I don't feel less safe in Mexico than I do north of the border.

You can't just look at the homicide statistics IMHO - the overwhelming majority of the murders/violent crimes committed in Mexico are narco-targeted/related. Weed those numbers out and then look at the remaining statistics for those where tourists in Mexico were victims of violent crime, be it random or targeted. All you have to do is search the news archives to see how many tourists have been killed in Mexico and then divide that into the total number of tourists per year into Mexico (23 million in 2008). Compare that homicide number to your local crime statistics and it puts things in more accurate perspective.

I really like this AOL travel report posted recently:

How Safe is Mexico? From AOL Travel... - TalkBaja.com - Baja Mexico Travel, Living and Retirement

Bottom line is you have to be aware of your surroundings and take care wherever you go today. The planet is not 100% safe anywhere but some common sense will go a long way to keep you from becoming a statistic IMHO...

Old 04-09-2010, 05:45 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
No, you would have to compare that statistic to the tourists to the U.S. that become violent crime victims. Like Mexico, much of the violent crime in the U.S. are gang on gang, youth on youth, ghetto acts.

No place is 100% safe but all places are not the same and it's ridiculous to equivocate.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
I see a contradiction here. Or was that younger brother also involved with the zetas?

It's not enough that you don't mess around with criminal elements, you also have to avoid being acquainted or related with someone who is (whether you know it or not).

You see, the cartels have no sense of morality and justice, they don't take great pains to avoid innocent bystanders when they go after a target, and they don't spare you because you did nothing wrong. Far from being comforting, your example is disturbing. I can control my actions, I cannot control the actions of my relatives, friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc.

So I guess the rule is be a loner, make no friends, don't ever be loved or liked enough by anyone that your gruesome death could serve as an example or message to them. Some world.
That's not so different from being in a car with a drunk driver, or when an older boy is showing a younger boy how to play with guns and accidently shoots him. Or if a kid is hanging with a bad group and a drive-by shooting is done - and the innocent kid gets hit.

I believe but I'm not going to prove it that I could go over into Juarez right now, spend the whole day there and as long as I do like the other people are doing which is to avoid some areas and get inside for the evening, I would be just fine.

I know people from there who say they have no fears at all when going because they are not involved nor are the people they're with -- but I suppose like anything there's still a gamble. One woman told me that when she goes there, she's from there, she thinks no negative thoughts because she thinks they could draw something bad to her.

I think most of the people deep down know when their relative or friend has a bit more money than they "should" have, they deep down know that the money isn't all honest. Parents know when their children are buying cell phones and nice clothes that cost too much money for what they give them - but they choose to not see it.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
I love it too, and I still believe that, it is your perception not the absolute reality, I don't claim to have the absolute reality either but I'll tell you something, I'm really happy that most Mexicans don't think like that, there have been really hard times during mankind's history and there have been really hard times during the history of every country, but eventually things are turned around, and they are turned around by those you call optimistic, if everybody just gave up at the first hardship then and only then there would be no hope left. for me Mexico is a country in ascention, I wish the ascention went faster though but these things take time, Brazil is slightly better now because they've been a democracy for a longer time, the violence and other problems we are currently facing are growing pains, we wanted democracy and freedom of speech? ok let's now see what we do with it, we finally reached macroeconomic stability yes but that's not the end of the road, now unequality has to be fought, every problem we are able to solve will make us stronger.

Regards
I hope enough others are like you -- because your kind is what your country most needs. It's future will be determined by those who remain in it and create it into what it will be.

Mexico is still among the richest nations in the world, it has so much potential. It seemed on the brink of something very good not that long ago.

Juarez might be another story. So many are leaving that it may be unsaveable at this point. I see it like Detroit which was once an industrial capital but now is deserted and bleak. The only ones still there are those who didn't have the means to flee it and there's less and less hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico