Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 05:29 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslat View Post
Based on all the reviews I've seen, seems like Little Haiti is a Ghetto. I haven't seen Little Haiti enough to make such judgement. I am mostly an indoors person, barely out the house unless it's necessary. I live in the southern extremity of Little Haiti called Buena Vista, which is a small neighborhood right in between Little Haiti and the Design District(few blocks away from Midtown). Buena Vista has nice houses, and is also very racially and ethnically diverse. I only hang around in Buena Vista, I don't bother venturing out to Little Haiti. But, from what I see, the Haitians that live near me seem to be very nice people(although they can be very Loud). The only problem is that people from Little Haiti who walk or drive through Buena Vista tend to litter when they pass through Buena Vista. And from what I see most of the residents at Buena Vista don't litter and take care of their properties.

Is Little Haiti, becoming another Haiti? I'm assuming based on all the reviews on Little Haiti, that the littering problem in Little Haiti is even worse. This is terrible. I'm assuming the Haitians brought their old habits to America. I'm not saying that all Haitians are litterers. But to tell you the truth, I think this is present within many ethnic groups, including hispanics and other african americans.

I would like to see Little Haiti improve, just as the popular Midtown and Design District are also improving. But thats wishful thinking.

I just can't tolerate a Ghetto near such good areas such as the Design District and Midtown.

What do you think? Give me your feedback.

You're probably the most qualified to say whether Lil' Haiti is a ghetto, being that you live in the southern end of it. My impression from driving along Miami Ave. (when I-95 is a disaster) is that it's a low income area with minimal infrastructure, but not a full blown ghetto. I would love to see Buena Vista/Design District and Miami Shores "connect" as a contiguous "good area" though, instead of just the spotty developments we have now, like Midtown and the 79th street lofts. Will it happen in my lifetime? Don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 02:28 PM

11 posts, read 62,149 times
I was hoping someone who actually lives in Little Haiti or has gone through little Haiti many times would comment.

Also Please Stay on Topic.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:17 AM

809 posts, read 2,316,811 times
The whole "northeast corridor" area suffers from what the OP stated. There are pockets and entire neighborhoods that are nicely kept, exclusive, vibrant, worthy of living in intertwined with areas that may be deemed less desirable by others. I worked in Little Haiti for a few years. It's poor, but most people seem honest and hard working. The loud factor can get on people's nerves, but then again, residents of this area are entitled to enjoy music, hanging outside, and playing dominoes, etc.
A while back, Blue Condominium was the topic of the Miami herald. The residents were complaining about how expensive it was own or rent in it, yet the surrounding areas were littered, people asking for handouts, etc.
You live in a beautiful area; unfortunately, the surrounding areas still need to catch up.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:46 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
Little Haiti today looks much better than it did 10-15 years ago...that's for sure.

Do you want to live there or something? Most of the housing in Little Haiti is not too attractive to me. But I don't know what the true boundaries of Little Haiti are....they seem to be in flux. For example Design Place (D-Place) is in Little Haiti...I don't care what anyone (especially their management) says! It used to be a housing project back in the day. I had some friends that lived there and the apartments have been remodeled....but they still feel like a housing project apartment. I don't know what it is....maybe those heavy-as-hell steel front doors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami