Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 03:47 PM

11 posts, read 62,135 times

Advertisements

Based on all the reviews I've seen, seems like Little Haiti is a Ghetto. I haven't seen Little Haiti enough to make such judgement. I am mostly an indoors person, barely out the house unless it's necessary. I live in the southern extremity of Little Haiti called Buena Vista, which is a small neighborhood right in between Little Haiti and the Design District(few blocks away from Midtown). Buena Vista has nice houses, and is also very racially and ethnically diverse. I only hang around in Buena Vista, I don't bother venturing out to Little Haiti. But, from what I see, the Haitians that live near me seem to be very nice people(although they can be very Loud). The only problem is that people from Little Haiti who walk or drive through Buena Vista tend to litter when they pass through Buena Vista. And from what I see most of the residents at Buena Vista don't litter and take care of their properties.

Is Little Haiti, becoming another Haiti? I'm assuming based on all the reviews on Little Haiti, that the littering problem in Little Haiti is even worse. This is terrible. I'm assuming the Haitians brought their old habits to America. I'm not saying that all Haitians are litterers. But to tell you the truth, I think this is present within many ethnic groups, including hispanics and other african americans.

I would like to see Little Haiti improve, just as the popular Midtown and Design District are also improving. But thats wishful thinking.

I just can't tolerate a Ghetto near such good areas such as the Design District and Midtown.

What do you think? Give me your feedback.

Last edited by joslat; 10-18-2010 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 03:58 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
It would be only fair to get feedbacks from Haitians exclusively. IMHO, I think nothing in America can compare to Haiti since it's in ruins, maybe a comparison to another African country is more appropriate.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:03 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,419,829 times
No more Miami Shores? Little Haiti has businesses around, but ive only been to 2nd ave, So im not qualified to judge the area

Old 10-19-2010, 03:16 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,205 times
little haiti look worse in the 80's and 90's than it does now, due to the fact the Haitian population gained a little income. and they tend to keep it in their neighborhoods

Old 10-19-2010, 06:27 PM

380 posts, read 961,727 times
I've ridden my bike through little Haiti during the day. Felt like I was in Mexico city again, only they weren't Mexicans, they were Haitians. I kid, it wasn't that dangerous

I thought I read in the Miami Herald about some $200,000 development project somewhere in little Haiti? Anyone remember?

Old 10-19-2010, 06:27 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,419,829 times
that one by 79th st

Old 10-19-2010, 06:50 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
I'm not an expert on Little Haiti, but I wouldn't call it a ghetto. That title is more along the lines of Liberty City or Overtown.

Regarding the garbage issue, this is my take on it. Many immigrants move to a new place which isn't their own and these are usually the les desireable parts of a city which tend to be older and run down. Many of these immigrants don't feel that this is their own community as they are immigrants. So I gather that people generally don't take care of what isn't theirs, especially if they come into it already a mess. (think about renters vs. homeowners)

Think of it like a fast food restaurant also. If you come in at lunch hour and they are understaffed and the dining room is a mess, the garbage cans are overflowing, the floor and bathrooms are dirty, people are more likely to leave a mess behind and contribute to it rather than keeping their table area clean before they leave. The same thing happens when you move into a community that is a mess from the get go.

I think over time Little Haiti will become more established...but new immigrant areas usually tend to be less desireable from the get go...and wherever there is an old or run down area of the city, it will probably have trash issues, and this will affect other nearby areas as well.

There are many Haitians in NMB and NM and those cities are certainly not dirty. I think the cleanliness issue is more of a city problem than of a certain immigrant group. If people are driving through your neighborhood and littering, you should start a neighborhood watch group, contact the NET about this issue and get offender's license plates. Put up signs as well. That is a shame that people dirty the area that isn't even theirs, but I can tell you that Haitians do not have a monoploy on this.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:58 PM

25 posts, read 60,598 times
you too sound very bigotted and GHETTO..........

you cannot generalize an immigrant population like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslat View Post
Based on all the reviews I've seen, seems like Little Haiti is a Ghetto. I haven't seen Little Haiti enough to make such judgement. I am mostly an indoors person, barely out the house unless it's necessary. I live in the southern extremity of Little Haiti called Buena Vista, which is a small neighborhood right in between Little Haiti and the Design District(few blocks away from Midtown). Buena Vista has nice houses, and is also very racially and ethnically diverse. I only hang around in Buena Vista, I don't bother venturing out to Little Haiti. But, from what I see, the Haitians that live near me seem to be very nice people(although they can be very Loud). The only problem is that people from Little Haiti who walk or drive through Buena Vista tend to litter when they pass through Buena Vista. And from what I see most of the residents at Buena Vista don't litter and take care of their properties.

Is Little Haiti, becoming another Haiti? I'm assuming based on all the reviews on Little Haiti, that the littering problem in Little Haiti is even worse. This is terrible. I'm assuming the Haitians brought their old habits to America. I'm not saying that all Haitians are litterers. But to tell you the truth, I think this is present within many ethnic groups, including hispanics and other african americans.

I would like to see Little Haiti improve, just as the popular Midtown and Design District are also improving. But thats wishful thinking.

I just can't tolerate a Ghetto near such good areas such as the Design District and Midtown.

What do you think? Give me your feedback.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:14 PM

Default Problem among Haitans

The only problem I have with Haitian-american(boys) is the younger generation of Haitian-american. From what I see, a lot of them are trying to act like gangsters with their pants sagging, wannabe gangsters. I see this present within a lot of the younger haitians I grew up with. The Haitians that I know are really against the gangster/ghetto image. They don't like boys with their pants sagging, or boys who don't go to school to receive an education. If there's any group that's ruining little haiti, in my opinion its the younger generation of Haitian-Americans and other African Americans.

But in general, haitians are nice people. Especially the older generation.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippa View Post
you too sound very bigotted and GHETTO..........

you cannot generalize an immigrant population like that.

I'm terribly sorry, if I offended the Haitian community or any other people. I'm not really sure if what I'm typing is offending people or not. Perhaps maybe, I should stop this thread.

How do I delete this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami