Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 06:13 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
same here. someone puts the dividing bar down for me at the supermarket check out line or says good morning and my heart drops out of my chest.
What's interesting to me, is how we notice the little things we took for granted elsewhere and anything even marginally better than "typical Miami" is like a deep breath of fresh air.

It's also interesting to me that if I go to Key Largo or Fort Lauderdale people seem more professional and friendly. More is a relative word so I will clarify that statement with better than Miami and noticeable from my perspective and experiences in all three cities.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:15 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
I completely agree, let's get rid of those drinking laws and while we're at it ditch those pesky laws for murder, rape, robbery and drugs. Hell yea, let's get those babies started early on their way to Cirrhosis.

Baby Beer Bottles Nipped In Bud | The Smoking Gun

By the way, less than half of cirrhosis cases are attributed to alcohol.

You can blame horrible diets for more health problems than anything else, perhaps people need an ID and quota card for their burger, if keeping people healthy is your goal.

But in the end, it is personal responsibility, people like you are always trying to legislate it to others. I mean heck, I run 20 miles a week, perhaps I should legislate a law where everyone should?

But frankly, I like people to stay out of my life, if I am not bothering you, you not need to bother me.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:26 AM

769 posts, read 1,731,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
This is something I cannot grasp, I don't think I'll ever be able to grasp it. I do not, for the life of me, understand how people can treat each other like such crap, back stab each other, gossip, spread rumors, do whatever they can to destroy them and then? They all go hang out together after work.

WHAT?!

I finally decided it was because they all do drugs and are alcoholics, (this is actually true), and they rely on each other for their fixes and drinking buddies.

Still, I'd rather drink alone than hang with someone who has treated me like garbage all day long.

I do not hang out with those people after work and I try not to talk to them much at all because the drama llama follows them everywhere.

And no, they don't do much work at all. Oh, they like to boast that they do, look how hard they work, why, they do EVERYthing around here! If they have to do one menial task, say, take out a garbage, oh MY GOD they are overworked and go and complain to the boss about how much they just did and others didn't. But that's usually all they do all day long. They pretty much spend most of their time peeing in their pants and crying about everything leaving no time left to get any work done.

Me? I just do the work. I don't feel I have to wait until the boss is looking or to report every single thing I've done, I just do it.

It's like working with 4 year olds. And these are grown adults. Disgusting.

That's how it is, you are right. Because I don't feel the need to whine, **** and moan about everything under the sun, I get more work load. I don't suck up to the boss, I don't run to him every time the wind changes direction and messes up my hair, wah, wah, wah, I don't throw a temper tantrum that would awe a 2 year old...I just do my work. And then those that don't tell the boss I haven't done my work so I get more work while they sit around on their butts and do nothing but complain about how overworked they are.

I can't wait for the day when I have the means to get up and out of here and tell them all what I really think.

Princess, I do believe in the power of positive thinking but you also need to live in reality. Ok? Miami is filled with a bunch of sorry *ssed losers. The city is full of lazy, arrogant, rude, obnoxious, idiotic people who have no business being in business.

Is that everyone in Miami? Of course not. Is it a LOT in Miami? Absolutely.

I shouldn't be surprised when I receive good customer service but in this town, I'm almost floored when it happens.
I think this is more a cultural thing. Personally, there's really nothing wrong with being lazy lol. As long as the work gets, done I see no need to overly stress about every little thing. You're still getting paid right? Just chill. Maybe different cultures teach different things about work? I know that regular Anglo American culture glorifies "hard work" and being successful. Cuban culture is more focused on the family and enjoying yourself than hard work. When I went to Panama, it was very similar to this experience you describe in Miami. It was only around 12pm and we were walking around the tourist shops, and every singly employee we found was complaining about their work. Not even 4 hours on the job yet, and they were already tired. Hell, most of them had chairs anyways. >.< I think it's just the culture. I wish you had been there LOL. When I went to Mexico it was the complete opposite. I have never met a group of people that worked so hard. I respect that, but it's a different culture than mine.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
But in the end, it is personal responsibility, people like you are always trying to legislate it to others.
Let's get back on topic. My point is abide by the law and those in charge should enforce the LAW regardless if you or I "personally" agree with it or not.

Florida has laws that are pretty lame but they are still the law. There is one where you can't have sex with a Porcupine and personally that's one I can abide by although I've found some prickly residents pretty screwed up.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:42 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
Quote:
I completely agree, let's get rid of those drinking laws and while we're at it ditch those pesky laws for murder, rape, robbery and drugs. Hell yea, let's get those babies started early on their way to Cirrhosis.

Baby Beer Bottles Nipped In Bud | The Smoking Gun

You can obtain the right to kill people at the age of 18, under the rule of a genocidal regime, but you can't drink alcohol. Got to love America!! Hell Yeah!!!

Old 04-23-2011, 06:51 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Let's get back on topic. My point is abide by the law and those in charge should enforce the LAW regardless if you or I "personally" agree with it or not.

Florida has laws that are pretty lame but they are still the law. There is one where you can't have sex with a Porcupine and personally that's one I can abide by although I've found some prickly residents pretty screwed up.
"an unjust law is no law"

Just because it is a law does not mean it is right.

Also, you stated originally that no one carded your kid, well, there is no law stating a place has to card everyone here, it is like that in TN.

There have been laws against many things in US history, I suppose you fully supported every law the US ever had? You must have the servitude type of personality. If it was not for disobedience by a few, we would still have the numerous unjust laws this country was founded with a created.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:03 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
Laws don't mean squad. They are simply a tool and a way to control the masses, not to protect anyone as a main priority - that's the bottom end (even if they might, at the end, be beneficial to you). If the law says something it's illegal, does it really mean that something is evil?... and if so, who comes up with the notion of what's evil or what's good?

70 years ago, in Deutschland, it was illegal for any gypsy to escape the extermination camps... should they escape they would be doing a crime (CRIMINALS), an illegal move under the law - those trying to save their lives are criminals pffffft.... Law changes according to times, and those who say: I believe in the LaW, are living in an utopial world. Such person wouldn't say "I believe in the law" when the law is killing innocent people or restraining blacks from achieving anything to better themselves.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:18 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Laws don't mean squat. They are simply a tool and a way to control the masses, not to protect anyone as a main priority - that's the bottom end (even if they might, at the end, be beneficial to you). If the law says something it's illegal, does it really mean that something is evil?... and if so, who comes up with the notion of what's evil or what's good?

70 years ago, in Deutschland, it was illegal for any gypsy to escape the extermination camps... should they escape they would be doing a crime (CRIMINALS), an illegal move under the law - those trying to save their lives are criminals pffffft.... Law changes according to times, and those who say: I believe in the LaW, are living in an utopial world. Such person wouldn't say "I believe in the law" when the law is killing innocent people or restraining blacks from achieving anything to better themselves.
Tell that to the judge.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
"an unjust law is no law"

Just because it is a law does not mean it is right.

Also, you stated originally that no one carded your kid, well, there is no law stating a place has to card everyone here, it is like that in TN.
No, there is no law to card everyone but there is a legal drinking limit to be enforced.

Miami legal age to drink alcohol and go out, Miami Beach lodging

So your premise is you should only abide by the laws you personally agree with? That's exactly why Miami is lawless hole it is today.

Ok fine, let's re-write the laws to suit this mindset. The speed limit is 40mph unless you're late to meet your buddy at the gym.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:22 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,194 times
Quote:
What's interesting to me, is how we notice the little things we took for granted elsewhere and anything even marginally better than "typical Miami" is like a deep breath of fresh air.

It's also interesting to me that if I go to Key Largo or Fort Lauderdale people seem more professional and friendly. More is a relative word so I will clarify that statement with better than Miami and noticeable from my perspective and experiences in all three cities.

We know there are rude people in Miami ... but you guys beat the subject to death .. with so much else going on in the world and even in South Florida .. you have nothing positive to post ?

Geez give it a rest guys .... the topic is tired and boring ...... Happy Easter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami