Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 02:08 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic_A View Post
I have applied at three different Publixes in the Brickell area and asked the managers if they were hiring, but all three said they weren't. I have applied at all the restaurants that had now hiring signs along biscayne, but nothing. I'm currently on CL replying to different job listings and nothing...yet. Right now, I'm starting to pack and hopefully whatever money I can get from what I sell I can find something temporary until Oct 1st. I don't have any family down here. I asked for help with some stuff before, and I haven't been able to pay them back fully yet.

I'm going to start with the loans and hope things turn out for the better. I did get an anonymous gift forma friend, so it should lessen the blow a bit, but I have like the hardest time asking people for stuff because of the ability that I may not be able to pay them back.

I feel sick to my stomach.
They will probably will not evict you before Oct 1. There are steps they need to follow.

Yes get those loans, I agree 100% with Boxus on this one. 5k 10K or even 20k in loans is not that much compared to the benefits of not working while going to school. I still suggest that once you get through this mess, to start looking into what career path you want to follow, so you can choose the right courses, and do some learning on your own also like Cixel suggested. Don't just follow a major blindly because you might get discouraged or learn crap you that won't help you to get a job. Computers are very broad and there are many career paths you can follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 04:03 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
You've gotten a lot of great advice in this thread. I hope some of it helps you, quickly. The main thing I'd work on is getting even a minimum wage job, McD's, BK. Anything. Then schedule your schooling around your job. Go to the financial aid office and ask them to help you with any loans you're eligible for. You've done the online FAFSA, right?

Old 09-15-2011, 04:59 PM

609 posts, read 1,139,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
You've gotten a lot of great advice in this thread. I hope some of it helps you, quickly. The main thing I'd work on is getting even a minimum wage job, McD's, BK. Anything. Then schedule your schooling around your job. Go to the financial aid office and ask them to help you with any loans you're eligible for. You've done the online FAFSA, right?
Yes the FAFSA was the first thing done, so what I have to do now is talk to the counselors and see what loans I'm eligible for and work on that. I'm scrambling to find a job...something. Even being a sign spinner.

Applying for loans as we speak.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:58 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
At least you have been swayed to the loan thing, I hope it works out and I hope your current situation will end on a positive note.

Jobs in this area are around, but there is competition and most, if not all, will have zero care about your schedule in college. Hopefully you can bridge this financial without having to work.

This rent thing, I have no idea what more comments to offer past what has been stated. For proof of your effort to get in contact, I would send a certified mail with return receipt. You can always come home and find that eviction notice, or you will not. I am not an expert on this, so sorry for the lack of specific advice. I would look up as much info as possible on this situation you are in.

CS is tough, do not worry about the math as far as your career is concerned, it is just BS requisites for the major. Many in the field have no degree, and many more have grad degrees that never has a UG in the field, or never took all those classes (such as foreign majors). Importantly, skills and experience trump any degree in your field, at least at every business I know about. Concentrate on your degree yes, but you need to do many things on your own, and you need to get specific about what you want to be involved in.

Best thing is take a broad look nation wide at what skill set businesses are looking for, get a hold of those job descriptions, study what some common themes are, specialized areas, and areas that interest you. Then get busy on your own time concentrating on developing that skill set. It is a lot of work, but the pay off will be great. I wish I would have done it myself, but I have to much invested in what I do now to ever change and make it financially worth while.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:07 AM

So I get home today and I see a family across the street with all of their stuff in the condo parking lot with two cop cars outside, and the woman is fuming...did they just get evicted?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:14 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic_A View Post
So I get home today and I see a family across the street with all of their stuff in the condo parking lot with two cop cars outside, and the woman is fuming...did they just get evicted?
quite possible. there have been three evictions on our street in the last 2 months.

its gotta be a rough job being involved with that:

By request from the jobs thread: why my job is to watch dreams die. : reddit.com

Old 09-16-2011, 11:59 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
7 A thousand shall fall at thy side,
and ten thousand at thy right hand;
but it shall not come nigh thee.

Psalms 91. The Holy Bible: King James Version.

And all this, coming from somebody (me) with a fairly Satanic personality!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:28 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
satanic personality pfft

Old 09-16-2011, 12:59 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Kinetic, didn't you say you had been in the military? If you got an honorable discharge, go to the VA. They may not be able to give you any money or a place to live but they should know how to help out a vet even if it's information. Go there and talk to them.

And what about a GI Bill? Did you ever sign up for that?

Old 09-16-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Kinetic, didn't you say you had been in the military? If you got an honorable discharge, go to the VA. They may not be able to give you any money or a place to live but they should know how to help out a vet even if it's information. Go there and talk to them.

And what about a GI Bill? Did you ever sign up for that?
Yeah, the GI is what got me in this mess. They pay housing, but since they changed their terms it threw a few of us for a loop. Everything was fine for almost a year and it allowed me to rent out this apt. If I knew then what I knew now...I would have moved into that ultra-cheap 1br that I keep seeing on CL for rent...even though it's in a 'less than favorable' area. The money I could have saved...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami