Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 10:47 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic_A View Post
Miamiz, I'm paying 900, and my housing stipend covered that along with my utilities. And what 9/11 gi-bill is doing now with federal loans, all the money that I apply for is going straight to the school, and they pay the remainder, meaning there will be no refund of excess funds to the student. So even if I did apply for a federal loan, I wouldn't see any of that money.

Congress, isn't going to help. Many have already written them and they think the change is justified. It is what it is, and I fell victim to it. I just have to see if someone will let me stay with them a month or two until my housing kicks back in next month and I find something much cheaper to rent. Ultimately, I just need to move back to where I came from, because I'm not going to make it here at this rate, especially with this change.

I need to find a job that will allow me to study and do homework in between shifts , if I'm going to be able to keep up with my credits.
I wish you much luck. I hope things work out for you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 01:29 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Miamiz, I'm paying 900, and my housing stipend covered that along with my utilities. And what 9/11 gi-bill is doing now with federal loans, all the money that I apply for is going straight to the school, and they pay the remainder, meaning there will be no refund of excess funds to the student. So even if I did apply for a federal loan, I wouldn't see any of that money.

Congress, isn't going to help. Many have already written them and they think the change is justified. It is what it is, and I fell victim to it. I just have to see if someone will let me stay with them a month or two until my housing kicks back in next month and I find something much cheaper to rent. Ultimately, I just need to move back to where I came from, because I'm not going to make it here at this rate, especially with this change.

I need to find a job that will allow me to study and do homework in between shifts , if I'm going to be able to keep up with my credits.
Are you going to a private or public school?

"And what 9/11 gi-bill is doing now with federal loans, all the money that I apply for is going straight to the school, and they pay the remainder, meaning there will be no refund of excess funds to the student."

Is this a new rule? If so, how new? I looked aorund online and could not find anything.

Did you ask? Apply for federal funds? You can still do online right now I think, the period is usualy still open right now, but you are not priority so no telling if funds are available.

I think the dumbest thing ever was to do away with the break pay, totally idiotic and makes zero logical sense.

The pre 911 bill was great and I have no idea why they even messed around with it. It had one problem and one problem only (minor at that), and they screw the whole thing up.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I guess my first mistake was relying on the government to aid vets with college. They passed the bill to improve college funding but its not an improvement. They capped the amount spent on Private schools and there is no longer any break pay in between semesters, I now have no rent for this month. Now I need to break my lease, cancel my utilities, sell my stuff, move into a hole in the wall cheap place. I'm such a dumbass.

With that said I need to figure out how I can get a job with ultra-short notice, find a bus route that works (since I don't have a car), and try to juggle all of that while taking 15 credits to be able to receive housing for the next months. Is it possible?
No, the 911 bill was just a scam, I have no idea why so many people like it, well I do actually. the mgib was not as beneficial in high cost areas, simple fix but they had to screw the whole thing up.

It really was not an improvement, it was designed to pander to a few vocal groups who have been complaing about the mgib, mainly people in high cost areas (Cali, NYC, etc), and those who will NEVER use it, but want their kid who never served a day to use it. Goodness, I would think they would redo the flawed retirement system before messing with the gi bill.

Anyway, I would not break the lease, just stay their and say you will be late, say the circumstance, and tell them you will give the the money later. It takes a bit to evict someone, or I would at least sell as much stuff to make the payment, get a job, then make more moeny to pay the payment.

I would not just jump ship yet, go talk to your andlord a bit, join the ranks of the thousands of others who do not make rent payments, at least you have a good reason.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:48 PM

609 posts, read 1,139,585 times
The rule went into effect as of August 2nd. Here is what I found:

No More Break Pay: 3 Financial Planning Resources for Veterans | GIBill.com

GI Bill 2.0

And yes, the Pell grant I applied for gets paid first and the G.I. bill covers the rest...so that they will not have to refund anything to me.

As of right now, I'm still out-of-state and If I don't take a hike at the end of this semester, I will apply for in-state after this semester.

It sucks that for me to cover my rent in between semesters, I have to basically have to get a full-time job...and what business will be understanding enough that they will let you be in attend classes x amount of credit hours to receive that extra money for housing? Unless it's and internship, but that defeats the purpose.

I talked to my Property manager, she told me to send me my lease and my GI bill wad letter with the changes. So I guess I will hear from her soon.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:07 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times
This just adds to reasons why I would not recommend a kid finishing high school to join the military. Our government puts them in harms way unnecessarily by fighting these unnecessary wars. Gradually they are stripping them from benefits. No way!

A few years ago a recruiter called my house on a Saturday morning wanting to talk to my son who was not there at the time. After I informed him that he wasn't home he then proceeded to ask me for my opinion of my son considering the military. I replied " my son is free to make his own decision of whether he wants to join the military or not. However, if he asks me for my opinion, I would tell him that at this time I do not think it's a good idea to join the military; actually, I am against it. Yet, you can join if you want". I guess the recruiter figured that I was not going to encourage my son to join the army so he politely thanked me and finished the conversation.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
The rule went into effect as of August 2nd. Here is what I found:

No More Break Pay: 3 Financial Planning Resources for Veterans | GIBill.com

GI Bill 2.0

And yes, the Pell grant I applied for gets paid first and the G.I. bill covers the rest...so that they will not have to refund anything to me.

As of right now, I'm still out-of-state and If I don't take a hike at the end of this semester, I will apply for in-state after this semester.

It sucks that for me to cover my rent in between semesters, I have to basically have to get a full-time job...and what business will be understanding enough that they will let you be in attend classes x amount of credit hours to receive that extra money for housing? Unless it's and internship, but that defeats the purpose.

I talked to my Property manager, she told me to send me my lease and my GI bill wad letter with the changes. So I guess I will hear from her soon.
Did you move here then decide to go to school? Or move here to go to school? I would have never even wasted my money paying out of state, wait a year at least.

Did you apply for loans? The loans are probably ate up by out of state costs. If you did not apply for loans, better do so right now.

There will not be any jobs here that let you go to college, they are far and few between, many of those would want you there at least a year before bending themselves to let you go to school, employers have zero incentive for a worker to go to college, especially in a labor market that thrives on low skilled labor.

Unless I missed it, I still did not read about the excess funds, you did not mention you applied for student loans either. Hopefully the landlord will work with you, then you will owe it to yourself to get some money somehow and hedge for the other break times, penny pinching to the extreme, odd jobs, etc.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
This just adds to reasons why I would not recommend a kid finishing high school to join the military. Our government puts them in harms way unnecessarily by fighting these unnecessary wars. Gradually they are stripping them from benefits. No way!

A few years ago a recruiter called my house on a Saturday morning wanting to talk to my son who was not there at the time. After I informed him that he wasn't home he then proceeded to ask me for my opinion of my son considering the military. I replied " my son is free to make his own decision of whether he wants to join the military or not. However, if he asks me for my opinion, I would tell him that at this time I do not think it's a good idea to join the military; actually, I am against it. Yet, you can join if you want". I guess the recruiter figured that I was not going to encourage my son to join the army so he politely thanked me and finished the conversation.
Well, I would not call the gi bill bad, it still is a great deal, but they should have left it the way it was with a minor tweak. I think they are actually expanding benefits to include dependents, something I do not agree with except in specific circumstances.

The military is not for everyone of course, but nothing wrong with it really, and is great for those who have nothing going much for them. Where else can a HS grad (or GED) qualify for a full time job, full benefits, retirement plan (20 years!), training, educational assistance, 30 days vacation a year, almost unlimited sick days, job security, housing allowance, food allowance, base housing for family, barracks room.......goodness, I have a masters degree and do not even have that. The pay is low to start, but by the time e5 rolls around, that is comfortable living. Plus if a person gets out, they have the VA if they are too poor for health insurance, they have preference in fed gov jobs with time in service vested towards retirement...I do not think it is too bad for a person with just a HS education.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:10 PM

609 posts, read 1,139,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Did you move here then decide to go to school? Or move here to go to school? I would have never even wasted my money paying out of state, wait a year at least.

Did you apply for loans? The loans are probably ate up by out of state costs. If you did not apply for loans, better do so right now.

There will not be any jobs here that let you go to college, they are far and few between, many of those would want you there at least a year before bending themselves to let you go to school, employers have zero incentive for a worker to go to college, especially in a labor market that thrives on low skilled labor.

Unless I missed it, I still did not read about the excess funds, you did not mention you applied for student loans either. Hopefully the landlord will work with you, then you will owe it to yourself to get some money somehow and hedge for the other break times, penny pinching to the extreme, odd jobs, etc.
I moved here, lost my job, decided to attend school shortly afterwards.

I applied for the Pell Grant, and they gave me the full amount. Usually the GI Bill pays first for the semester and the Pell pays second, resulting in a refund. Now The GI bill waits until other grants and loans are applied and for the school to send them a notice to pay the remainder. (I failed to mention that this was told to me by the VA rep I spoke with). So no more refunds, making my MDC-One card useless.

I'm trying to avoid loans, because I'm not looking forward to paying back student loans for 20+ years. I think that's worse than not working. Owing people exorbitant amounts of debt.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:18 PM

A loan is not bad at all, losing what ever credit you have, eviction, stopping school, etc; is much worst than taking out a loan to get you through. The world will not stop turning if you take out a loan to bridge gaps like this through school. Heck, most people do not think twice about a car loan (not speaking of you specifically), but freak about a low interest school loan, which is an investment in the future.

If you take $3500 loan out now, it will not take you 20 years to pay back, not even $20k will take you 20 years to pay back. People get too caught up in this loan business, plenty of people (me included) have no problem with loans and they have little impact on my lifestyle. I would not even have the income I have now if it were not for college, I would not have gotten through college without a loan.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:19 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Well, I would not call the gi bill bad, it still is a great deal, but they should have left it the way it was with a minor tweak. I think they are actually expanding benefits to include dependents, something I do not agree with except in specific circumstances.

The military is not for everyone of course, but nothing wrong with it really, and is great for those who have nothing going much for them. Where else can a HS grad (or GED) qualify for a full time job, full benefits, retirement plan (20 years!), training, educational assistance, 30 days vacation a year, almost unlimited sick days, job security, housing allowance, food allowance, base housing for family, barracks room.......goodness, I have a masters degree and do not even have that. The pay is low to start, but by the time e5 rolls around, that is comfortable living. Plus if a person gets out, they have the VA if they are too poor for health insurance, they have preference in fed gov jobs with time in service vested towards retirement...I do not think it is too bad for a person with just a HS education.
I agree with your post. I always thought the same thing, great for those that have no where to go, no job, no direction, no education, or someone that truly enjoys the military life. However, based on our current political climate and foreign policy, I would recommend the military as one of the last options. Believe it or not, years ago while in college I was thinking about joining the military after college and go in as an officer. I am glad I didn't. Also, over the years as I have become more informed and educated about the reality of our foreign policy and politics, the more I would discourage young people to join the military and be used for the benefits of a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami