Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 03:38 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,138,702 times

Advertisements

There are usually wild fluctuations on these lists. Wasn't Newark like number 2 last year and now it is number 20 or something???

And to say Miami is preferable over the other most dangerous cities...arhhhh....well duh of course it is better. But to say Miami isn't bad because there are worse places??? HELLO! That says a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 03:57 PM

440 posts, read 1,495,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
There are usually wild fluctuations on these lists. Wasn't Newark like number 2 last year and now it is number 20 or something???

And to say Miami is preferable over the other most dangerous cities...arhhhh....well duh of course it is better. But to say Miami isn't bad because there are worse places??? HELLO! That says a lot.

I do not recall anyone posting that Miami is not bad because there are worse places ...... obviously there are worse places .... and I think the poor drivers , rude people , crappy customer service and "third world" mentality exhibited by some residents is more of a reason not to live in Miami than it's purported crime rate .... you can generally be cautious , sensible and use "street smarts" to avoid bad areas and stay safe , but it is next to impossible to avoid bad drivers , rude people and crappy customer service

I for one would never live in Miami but I sure enjoy it for partying on the weekends !!!

Old 11-19-2007, 03:58 PM

548 posts, read 541,504 times
This apparently is the website of the organization that put out that list. It has lots of interesting stats.

America's Safest (and Most Dangerous) Cities

Old 11-19-2007, 06:20 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
This is how people need to look at Miami in rankings through County Rankings not city rankings as we all know the City of Miami is really small, 8 square miles around 300,000+ people, I believe.
just a correction but the city of Miami is 35 square miles with an estimated population of 404,000 people.

As for the rankings for the county one of their weighted averages that pulls the ranks very high is auto theft. Sadly Miami has always been at the top of that list due to all of the stolen autos being shipped to the Caribbean & South America. Other port cities/gateways like Phoenix, San Diego are also up there in this category.

Anyways it's good to see Miami not at the top of these type of lists anymore.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:38 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
Its nice that we are not at the top, but #10 still isn't great. Thanks for the correction. I didn't say it right, I was thinking 8 miles by 8 miles which is 36 sq. miles. This must be the newest stats 404,000 the new stats. In 2003 it was 376,815.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
just a correction but the city of Miami is 35 square miles with an estimated population of 404,000 people.

As for the rankings for the county one of their weighted averages that pulls the ranks very high is auto theft. Sadly Miami has always been at the top of that list due to all of the stolen autos being shipped to the Caribbean & South America. Other port cities/gateways like Phoenix, San Diego are also up there in this category.

Anyways it's good to see Miami not at the top of these type of lists anymore.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:06 PM

54 posts, read 338,090 times
I'd love to see the results of 2007..last time I checked the articles, Broward was ahead of both Palm Beach and Orange County in total murders..Florida is on a steady downfall...

Old 11-20-2007, 08:08 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauderdale954 View Post
I'd love to see the results of 2007..last time I checked the articles, Broward was ahead of both Palm Beach and Orange County in total murders..Florida is on a steady downfall...
You have to realize we have a far greater population than those two counties. It was saying a lot that we physically had less homicide than our more affluent, less populated northern neighbor and a far lower per-capita rate. Our past homicide rate was putting us at the lowest for a county over 1 million in the country. In case you haven't noticed, crime has been on a major uptick nationwide, and we are just following the trends. We reported about a 4.3% increase in crime since the beginning of 2007 this year, which is about the same as it is nationally...homicide and gun crime has especially spiked nationwide. Problem is in Florida it's happening more rapidly than most other places .

Old 11-20-2007, 08:08 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
^ yes doggiebus the 404,000 population estimate was released by the Census Bureau for July 2006.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:39 PM

398 posts, read 1,409,923 times
I see teenagers smoking weed on the streets here where I live. Is that included in the statistics? NO. There is not enough police to catch all the crime in this city. And yes, That IS A CRIME. So the number 35 in the ranking is not real. And the top criminals are working inside the city government. Don't believe it? check online how many city workers have been arrested in the last five years.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:44 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
Cannabis is crime? It's only a crime because somebody told you it was. Who is it hurting? And were all high and mighty now, because you said the rating is not real, it isn't! Please, do me a favor, name a city where there isn't a shortage of police offers. Statistics should be used as a comparison guide, not a raw analysis of your own risk. I have been all over the country, and I haven't ran across a larger city where people don't smoke weed, doesn't have some corruption, and captures every crime. Not to mention, the "danger" list is based on violent and property crimes. Some kids smoking pot on their stoop isn't "dangerous", LOL!

My drug views are rather libertarian, but I'm not going to turn this into another political discussion LOL!

I hate to break it to you but they probably smoke more weed in the other cities. The crime is related to the trade of drugs and marijuana, which is why legalization is necessary. I bet they smoke the most pot in the SAFEST cities on that list.

No,I don't smoke pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami