Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 12:54 PM

67 posts, read 133,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise TibetanMonkey View Post
Right, it's only a facade that only the enlightened residents of this populous city know. For example, the Metro Mover that travels among the downtown highrises as if by magic, it's all crappy. The homeless benefit the most from it.
What? It isn't just homeless people using the Metromover. I use it to commute and get around town, and so do many people in this city. I couldn't imagine it not being here.

I also don't understand this "NOBODY IS HAPPY, THIS IS ALL A LIE!" mentality. Jesus christ man, relax. You seem to hate the city for having glamorous skyscrapers and rich people, but at the same time you hate the poor people. Do you mind explaining this, or am I misunderstanding your comment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 03:36 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantShoegazer View Post
What? It isn't just homeless people using the Metromover. I use it to commute and get around town, and so do many people in this city. I couldn't imagine it not being here.

I also don't understand this "NOBODY IS HAPPY, THIS IS ALL A LIE!" mentality. Jesus christ man, relax. You seem to hate the city for having glamorous skyscrapers and rich people, but at the same time you hate the poor people. Do you mind explaining this, or am I misunderstanding your comment?
It's the new hipster mentality. They want walkable communities but only if they are occupied by middle or upper class citizens. Some think that's how most walkable cities in Europe have been for ages but that is innacurate. Those European cities are also being transformed. All the coffe shops and restaurants you find in those European cities are rather a new concept. The original people that live there are being displaced by wealthier suburban citizens or people from other countries(Italians, Americans)

And after certain hour(around 8:00-9:00 pm) you won't many people walking the streets of NYC , Paris, Berlin or Barcelona unless it's a touristy place like Times Square, las Ramblas or Lincoln Rd.

In my opinion Miami suburbs are fine. Many people enjoy that lifestyle. What we have failed miserably is trying to replicate urban places trying to attract the new urban crowd. For Example Downtown Miami and Brickle are poorly designed. They are more designed like Latin American neighborhoods where wealthy people live in buildings but drive everywhere.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:36 PM

663 posts, read 503,999 times
Quote:

Definitely the extremes are bad. Too low and too high spells conflict and leaves a man of refined taste out of space. There are such places not to far from Miami such as Hollywood Beach and Downtown Hollywood which seem to please the man of refined taste. You may even ride a bike from one to the other without major conflict. Canadians have refined taste and that's where they go.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_zed View Post
lol so a community is crappy depending on biking
Definitely, a community where one wouldn't walk or ride a bike is crappy. There are a few --very few-- places like that in Miami. Oh we need the cafes too. South Miami and Coconut Grove are like that. And... well I don't remember but there may be other nice places out there.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
It's the new hipster mentality. They want walkable communities but only if they are occupied by middle or upper class citizens. Some think that's how most walkable cities in Europe have been for ages but that is innacurate. Those European cities are also being transformed. All the coffe shops and restaurants you find in those European cities are rather a new concept. The original people that live there are being displaced by wealthier suburban citizens or people from other countries(Italians, Americans)

And after certain hour(around 8:00-9:00 pm) you won't many people walking the streets of NYC , Paris, Berlin or Barcelona unless it's a touristy place like Times Square, las Ramblas or Lincoln Rd.

In my opinion Miami suburbs are fine. Many people enjoy that lifestyle. What we have failed miserably is trying to replicate urban places trying to attract the new urban crowd. For Example Downtown Miami and Brickle are poorly designed. They are more designed like Latin American neighborhoods where wealthy people live in buildings but drive everywhere.
I agree for the most part, but the suburbs (sprawl) promote isolation and that is sad. If you go out the door and there's nobody's out, what are you doing out there? NYC by contrast is a fun place where social life is around the corner.

The bicycle could become the "vehicle of liberation" in the suburbs since they often lack sidewalks, but being alone, without bike facilities, is kind of intimidating. I'm sure my daughter who's 21 would hesitate to ride a bike where she lives close to the Everglades even though many stores are within biking distance.

Let's conjugate the verb drive:

I drive
She drives
They drive
We all drive

The bicycle is of limited use for most of this city. I went biking the other night along Biscayne Blvd-163 st toward the beach. I stopped at Target and WinnDixie. Took two buses to complete the loop. It was exciting for the most part except for a car that cut me off. And it only takes a car to wipe you out.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Let me address this point. First Metromover is a shade of what it was. Cars would come every couple of minutes, and you would pay a quarter.

Now the cars are all crowded and when the homeless stink, you must use a gas mask. I've ridden these cars later at night and it's absolutely intimidating. They are nasty, real nasty at times. People coming out of Bayside (a happy place) must face this harsh reality before getting to the train. The train itself is not bad. See? I'm looking at the bright side too.

"Metromover - the world's most expensive moving urinal."

Dead Body Found on Metromover

Old 03-07-2014, 10:48 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times
Quote:
Let me address this point. First Metromover is a shade of what it was. Cars would come every couple of minutes, and you would pay a quarter.

Now the cars are all crowded and when the homeless stink, you must use a gas mask. I've ridden these cars later at night and it's absolutely intimidating. They are nasty, real nasty at times. People coming out of Bayside (a happy place) must face this harsh reality before getting to the train. The train itself is not bad. See? I'm looking at the bright side too.

"Metromover - the world's most expensive moving urinal."

Dead Body Found on Metromover
You are probably both right. It depends on the time of the day you ride Metromover.

I used to take metromover in 1995 to go to MDC. It was a scary experience. I had a class early in the morning and a lot of homeless(like 20 or 40) were still sleeping right next to the college. The smell of urine was very strong. Maybe there are more homeless now, I don't know. But the smell of urine is so common in downtowns and in walkable places. I have even smelled it in Downtown Coral Gables.

Seeing homeless in public transportation is very common too. In NYC they tend to sleep in subway stations. If you walk for example on 7th avenue you probably won't see them because the police kick them out but if you walk through the sides streets you will see a lot of people begging or going through trash cans looking for food. I have seen homeless begging in train stations also in Spain, Berlin (they sell their newspaper like the voice of the homeless do here in intersections) and in Paris I got robbed at a train station. Also when I went to Venice there were a lot of homeless begging in the tourist areas.

It seems like homelessness is not something that can be easily fixed or controlled. I think it's something you need to get used to if you want to live in an urban place. Most are very peaceful people but sometimes you bump into one that is just nuts and dangerous. I know one that lives in a strip mall I frequent here in Miami. He came from South Carolina and he helps a store by collecting the shopping carts. He has been doing for years and fortunately no one has complained. I saw him using some of the money he collected to buy a deodorant. That was sad.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
You are probably both right. It depends on the time of the day you ride Metromover.

I used to take metromover in 1995 to go to MDC. It was a scary experience. I had a class early in the morning and a lot of homeless(like 20 or 40) were still sleeping right next to the college. The smell of urine was very strong. Maybe there are more homeless now, I don't know. But the smell of urine is so common in downtowns and in walkable places. I have even smelled it in Downtown Coral Gables.
The most notable difference between then and now is probably the delay of the cars that now take several minutes so they are crowded and smellier.

Regarding the homeless situation there's a big difference between having a few here and there and having a permanent overwhelming presence such at the downtown train station and surrounding areas. One solution I propose is to make the homeless be part of their communities by picking the litter in exchange for a roof and a hot meal. Two problems solved in one shot.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:01 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,825,184 times
Quote:

That is a very true and the main reason why our road infrastructure and traffic keeps getting worse.

Quote:
Definitely the extremes are bad. Too low and too high spells conflict and leaves a man of refined taste out of space. There are such places not to far from Miami such as Hollywood Beach and Downtown Hollywood which seem to please the man of refined taste. You may even ride a bike from one to the other without major conflict. Canadians have refined taste and that's where they go.
I am not so sure about that. Most of them live in trailer parks or low end apartment buildings in Broward County.

Quote:
The most notable difference between then and now is probably the delay of the cars that now take several minutes so they are crowded and smellier.

Regarding the homeless situation there's a big difference between having a few here and there and having a permanent overwhelming presence such at the downtown train station and surrounding areas. One solution I propose is to make the homeless be part of their communities by picking the litter in exchange for a roof and a hot meal. Two problems solved in one shot.
The problem is that many of them do not want a roof over their head, in fact many refuse to stay at Camillus House or any shelter for that matter. They rather be more free, have less rules to follow and have less structure in their lives.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
That is a very true and the main reason why our road infrastructure and traffic keeps getting worse.

I am not so sure about that. Most of them live in trailer parks or low end apartment buildings in Broward County.

The problem is that many of them do not want a roof over their head, in fact many refuse to stay at Camillus House or any shelter for that matter. They rather be more free, have less rules to follow and have less structure in their lives.
Yeah, and then society pays for their freedom. For example, they sit at the libraries (downtown, the beach) and then few other people are able to enjoy a book without a distraction of the smells. The patrons that go, go perhaps to take advantage of the free WIFI. Try the bathrooms in the library where the homeless go.

But there are never allowed in the better sections of town. Never seen homeless in Bal Harbour. They don't even tolerate cyclists on the sidewalks.

I don't care they want to be free. The Indians wanted to remain free and now live in reservations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami