Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,987 times

Advertisements

I first lived off Bird Road and 41st streets near Red Road. I believe our little two bedroom houses with a carport were built by Mackle Builders. And out on Bird Road there was a little tiny shopping strip. It had a drug store with a bar. I think it was where Red Bird Bar was, but I remember the drug store was called Dewise or Dewese Drugs. They had a soda fountain. But all the old drugs stores mentioned in Miami were always Rexall Drugs. Anyone born in Miami in the Bird Road area from the 1950's. Who may remember this stuff. Thanks Also someone asked about Burdines.
Burdines had a tea room on the top floor. They served lunches and it's where your Grandma would take you shopping. That's before their were shopping malls. We didn't have shopping malls in the early fifties. We had Miracle Mill in the Gables and we had downtown Miami with Jordan March and Burdines. Later when I moved out to the Southwest on Bird Road. We had Westchester shopping center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 09:50 PM

224 posts, read 1,001,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candace Fuller Pfau View Post
I first lived off Bird Road and 41st streets near Red Road. I believe our little two bedroom houses with a carport were built by Mackle Builders. And out on Bird Road there was a little tiny shopping strip. It had a drug store with a bar. I think it was where Red Bird Bar was, but I remember the drug store was called Dewise or Dewese Drugs. They had a soda fountain. But all the old drugs stores mentioned in Miami were always Rexall Drugs. Anyone born in Miami in the Bird Road area from the 1950's. Who may remember this stuff. Thanks Also someone asked about Burdines.
Burdines had a tea room on the top floor. They served lunches and it's where your Grandma would take you shopping. That's before their were shopping malls. We didn't have shopping malls in the early fifties. We had Miracle Mill in the Gables and we had downtown Miami with Jordan March and Burdines. Later when I moved out to the Southwest on Bird Road. We had Westchester shopping center.
I wasnt around in the 50's but there is a drugstore called Allen's on Bird Road and Red Road... It has been there since I can remember...

Allen's Pharmacy - Miami, Florida on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/itsvoodoo/3588166707/ - broken link)

Not sure on the other one you mentioned...

I do remember Jordan Marsh and Burdines was bought up recently by Federated (maybe not that recent but at least in recent times)... There was a few others Zayres, i recall was kind of like Target or Kmart...

Old 03-15-2010, 11:57 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,486,932 times
How romantic these posts are...
They help Miamianisation immensely...

Old 03-16-2010, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 7,460 times
Default Help with name of the former 24 hour supermarket off 49th street in Hialleah

I can't recall the name of the 24 hour supermarket that was off 49th street in Hialeah across from the Dadeland Mall. I recall it being a huge place, almost twice the size of a Publix or Winn-Dixie. Before it was a supermarket I think it was a Gold Triangle and now it's an El Dorado Furniture. Anyone recall the name cause it always bugs me when I drive by El Dorado Furniture when I'm in the area.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:42 AM

100 posts, read 502,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimofo View Post
I can't recall the name of the 24 hour supermarket that was off 49th street in Hialeah across from the Dadeland Mall. I recall it being a huge place, almost twice the size of a Publix or Winn-Dixie. Before it was a supermarket I think it was a Gold Triangle and now it's an El Dorado Furniture. Anyone recall the name cause it always bugs me when I drive by El Dorado Furniture when I'm in the area.
You're referring to Westland Mall, not Dadeland, and the store you're thinking of was the Xtra Supermarket. That one in Hialeah, when it first opened, was truly expansive and incredible, I recall the subsequent ones (such as the one that actually was across the street from Dadeland, ironically enough, also in an old Gold Triangle store) not being as large as that one.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:30 AM

Within the spirit of this thread is this question to...oldtimers...

Do u remember when homes in Mia started installing those...- vintage today - one-piece a/c units ,by... cutting a rectangle in the wall..?
Anyone kept such a unit in running condition,as a souvenir..?

Old 03-20-2010, 10:37 PM

3 posts, read 7,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblanco22 View Post
You're referring to Westland Mall, not Dadeland, and the store you're thinking of was the Xtra Supermarket. That one in Hialeah, when it first opened, was truly expansive and incredible, I recall the subsequent ones (such as the one that actually was across the street from Dadeland, ironically enough, also in an old Gold Triangle store) not being as large as that one.
DOH! I did mean Westland Mall, now called Westfield for some reason. Thanks for the correction and the ID on the supermarket. That has been bugging me for awhile.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,802 times
Default bird bowl at westchester

i was a gables kid but bowled every saturday morning at bird.texas league coach laura pendergast.ring any bells?talking early 70's.there was a kid named billy karanikas who was the diva of the league.alot of fun,great fries at the restuarant.another kid named howard porter/mom was a coach.i went to columbus high.where was westwood lakes?that must be part of westchester now.thanks for the memory.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:43 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,047,044 times
Cool Sure....

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Within the spirit of this thread is this question to...oldtimers...

Do u remember when homes in Mia started installing those...- vintage today - one-piece a/c units ,by... cutting a rectangle in the wall..?
Anyone kept such a unit in running condition,as a souvenir..?
Five years ago I sold my old 1926 Historic home in the Gables and it had a working a/c wall unit in every room Oh.... except the kitchen which faced the west and in the summer was so hot I couldn't cook

Ah yes.... Coral Gables in the mid-60s and 70s .... so quiet you could shoot a cannon down Miracle Mile on Sunday morning ~ and not hit anyone. What's it like today?

Old 04-11-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Five years ago I sold my old 1926 Historic home in the Gables and it had a working a/c wall unit in every room Oh.... except the kitchen which faced the west and in the summer was so hot I couldn't cook

Ah yes.... Coral Gables in the mid-60s and 70s .... so quiet you could shoot a cannon down Miracle Mile on Sunday morning ~ and not hit anyone. What's it like today?

I hope the new owner kept those units as antiquity...
There is something so romantic in keeping old objects in working & pretty condition...
Something subconcious,like winning against the erosion of time...

CG is supposed to be the Beverly Hills of Miami...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami