Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:01 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,906,007 times

Advertisements

I find his music really boring. It's super-repetitive, like listening to a video game with a car alarm in the background, with a cross between Mr. T and Barney fronting like he's tough for the cameras. I'm almost asleep by the time any one of his songs gets past 1 min. in, with the same lyrics as the last 25 songs - Party! 305! Mr. Worldwide! Sexy! And... cue the car alarm. Repeat. It sounds to me like the kind of song they record specifically for toddlers so they can learn words - the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round...

But I'm glad to hear in person he's a nice guy. It's amazing you can make an entire career off of bravado, sexism, and a complete inability to stay in key. I wish to god I was a guy sometimes, it's so easy to make money doing absolutely nothing but talking about how much @$! you get. Even Rico Suave/Gerardo seemed to have more talent. But the key is knowing how to command a crowd with an overly-produced party anthem while making them think you're still excited after singing the same repetitive song 1,002 times, and Pitbull's got that in spades. 305! Let's Party! Uno Dos Tres... Repeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 08:08 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,506,952 times
His music was OK when he debuted back in 2004. I got nothing but respect for him, heard nothing but good things by people who have met him in person.

The funny thing is he was born here to Cuban parents, and he's more Cuban than me and I was born in Cuba lol.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:24 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,210,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
His music was OK when he debuted back in 2004. I got nothing but respect for him, heard nothing but good things by people who have met him in person.

The funny thing is he was born here to Cuban parents, and he's more Cuban than me and I was born in Cuba lol.
Cubans make great Americans.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:35 AM

39 posts, read 43,609 times
Honestly he had to become commercial. Gangsta Rap isn't heard almost at all anymore in the mainstream crowd due to the re-rise of electronic club music and mainstream pop.

I hadn't turned Power 96 on for years and I laughed when all I heard was house, pop, and dance.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:49 AM

Do you think he's a good ambassador for the Miami area? I thought it was cool that he did a nationally broadcast New Year's Eve show from Miami. I only saw a couple of segments of it, but it looked like it was very well produced. Of course, there were the girls shakin' it all over the place, but again, I have to say, he seems to know at least a little something about choreography.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:11 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,906,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Do you think he's a good ambassador for the Miami area?
Sure, if you want Miami to be associated with lame pop music, and airhead machismo.

I would rather have Miami represented globally as relating to some of the other residents here for a change - those who have a brain, respect women as human beings, and are interested in something more than partying from time to time. And who make some incredible music. If you yourself don't relate to anything he's selling, I don't know why you'd want Miami to be represented that way. The city has a lot of great things, and while parties are certainly included in that, there is a more sophisticated and talented way to communicate it.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:42 AM

522 posts, read 875,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
I find his music really boring. It's super-repetitive, like listening to a video game with a car alarm in the background, with a cross between Mr. T and Barney fronting like he's tough for the cameras. I'm almost asleep by the time any one of his songs gets past 1 min. in, with the same lyrics as the last 25 songs - Party! 305! Mr. Worldwide! Sexy! And... cue the car alarm. Repeat. It sounds to me like the kind of song they record specifically for toddlers so they can learn words - the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round...

But I'm glad to hear in person he's a nice guy. It's amazing you can make an entire career off of bravado, sexism, and a complete inability to stay in key. I wish to god I was a guy sometimes, it's so easy to make money doing absolutely nothing but talking about how much @$! you get. Even Rico Suave/Gerardo seemed to have more talent. But the key is knowing how to command a crowd with an overly-produced party anthem while making them think you're still excited after singing the same repetitive song 1,002 times, and Pitbull's got that in spades. 305! Let's Party! Uno Dos Tres... Repeat.
Your impressions would encompass every rapper, hip hop artist out there. They are entertainers and there are many of them. I don't like rap music at all, and won't listen to it. I do like Pitbull and never really thought about it too much as to why. His music and concerts are fun and upbeat. I guess you either like it or ya don't. But like I said earlier he should stick to his music. The NYE fox program he MC'd was awful.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Sure, if you want Miami to be associated with lame pop music, and airhead machismo.

I would rather have Miami represented globally as relating to some of the other residents here for a change - those who have a brain, respect women as human beings, and are interested in something more than partying from time to time. And who make some incredible music. If you yourself don't relate to anything he's selling, I don't know why you'd want Miami to be represented that way. The city has a lot of great things, and while parties are certainly included in that, there is a more sophisticated and talented way to communicate it.
Gloria and Jon did a great job of representing, back in the day, especially after Hurricane Andrew. Wow, Jon and his soaring voice, that's some serious talent there. And a class act.

I don't care for the misogyny, that's for sure. BUT, BUT, I don't so much blame him for that as I do the female participants in his videos, both the "hot" chicks with cement breasts pawing themselves, and the "stars" who partner with him, like J-lo and Kesha, etc. (shame on them Seriously, that misogyny/machismo would go nowhere if there were no willing female participants, and he'd have to take another tack.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:52 AM

4,491 posts, read 4,999,279 times
whAt?????he dodged the jlo bullet????
That's news to me.
I enjoy watching him perform and enjoying his songs when they come out on the radio during traffic but that's about it.
He's going to need to evolve if he wants to stay relevant or keep cashing in on all his dance music.

Love when SNL spoofs him!!!!

Old 01-03-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
Your impressions would encompass every rapper, hip hop artist out there. They are entertainers and there are many of them. I don't like rap music at all, and won't listen to it. I do like Pitbull and never really thought about it too much as to why. His music and concerts are fun and upbeat. I guess you either like it or ya don't. But like I said earlier he should stick to his music. The NYE fox program he MC'd was awful.
Yah, it's the energy, I think. He radiates energy.

As to the Fox program, like I said, I only caught some segments and apparently, I missed the real stinker parts.

MCing, hosting is an incredibly difficult gig, that's why people like Ryan Secrest and Dick Clark before him make the big bux. Very few people can do it. It requires a very quick mind and mouth, an ability to think on one's feet, lots of energy and vitality, good communication skills and a fairly good knowledge of the popular culture one is operating in. It also requires a little class. All of that in one package is incredibly rare. Mario Lopez is good at it, Leno is good at it. Mark Walberg (Antiques Roadshow) is good at it, but is afraid to step outside his comfort zone. If Kathy Griffin and Chelsea Handler upped the class factor, they'd be great. Carson Daly? Meh. Energy factor is low. He's dull and phony.

So,unfortunately, hosting is not a gig for Pitbull. He's got the energy and vitality, but it seems that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami