Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 11:59 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,987,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
What's this "old" thing? He's 33, isn't he? OK, so when does he start doing duets with Lady Gaga?

He does look a bit older than his 33 years, though. If I saw him on the street, I'd say he was a 50 year old in great shape.
He is dying to work with Lady Gaga and he has stated this several times during interviews. My guess is that Lady Gaga doesn't wanna work with him since it hasn't happened yet. Lady Gaga doesn't do many duets anyway.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 12:18 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,205,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
He is dying to work with Lady Gaga and he has stated this several times during interviews. My guess is that Lady Gaga doesn't wanna work with him since it hasn't happened yet. Lady Gaga doesn't do many duets anyway.
Except for Tony Bennett.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:30 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,904,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Lol, don't feel bad, sometimes I've stayed up past my bedtime noodling around on the internet.

Anyhoo, I completely agree with you about misogyny, and I do find all that jiggling flesh and exploitation rather repulsive.

But getting back to PB, just as you say the women did what they had to do, so did he. Of course, nobody really HAS to do anything, but OK, let's go from that premise.

In one of the interviews, someone asked him why he abandoned his "street" image in favor of suits, tuxedos, etc. His answer was something like "Are you kidding? I did this to get OFF the streets". So he worked with what he had, what was available, and went with it. I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying that's what he did.

You know, some men have it tough, too. What are the choices for a muscular but not very attractive young man with limited education and contacts? It's not like he was going to join Goldman Sachs or J.P. Morgan, or invent some sort of killer app. Construction? Waiter? Club Bouncer? Those weren't going to get him where he wanted to go. He tried drug dealing, but pulled back from it. So he put together an act, and it sold. With his business sense, I think he could have bypassed all that and built some legit businesses, if the entertainment thing hadn't worked out.

He puts me in mind of Aristotle Onassis, another rather unattractive street tough who made it on sheer determination and native intelligence (and probably a certain amount of thuggery) to become a shipping mogul and one of the richest men in the world in his day. In fact, Onassis was the "Mr. Worldwide" of his time, lol. Couldn't rap worth a dang, though.

Also PB has this crazy likability factor. I don't wanna like this guy, but for some reason, I do.
All good points. BUT, he has clearly made it now. If he wanted to change his routine now, he could. OK, he used the system, got up where he wanted to go. Not everybody does that, but that was his choice, and it worked out for him. But now, he's there, he could certainly invest his money so he has a fallback, and take a risk if he wanted to by trying a less tired image. If he wants to stay relevant, he's going to need to anyway - that's what all long-time successful music stars do, they change with the times.

You've got to be kidding he's 33 - I thought he was pushing 55!

He should really lay off the steroids... or the coke, or whatever it is. Anyway, his image is rather old for that age, the womanizing jet set guy. Very Cuban James Bond. How is he younger than Enrique Iglesias and has a far older image? Weird.

And yeah, Aristotle Onassis can't rap worth a d#mn...

Anyway, it would be nice for Miami to get over this tired stereotype of only being a place for shallow partying and brainless blow up dolls in stilettos. It would be nice to morph out of the '80s and have the city gain a reputation for a little more sophistication. We do have schools, some strong medical and other programs (Jon Secada graduated from Frost, after all), and a lot of international business people with strong educations, as well as a growing arts scene. We can do better than 305-Woot!-Woot! by now, can't we?

I'm not saying we're going to be San Francisco or NYC, but even LA has UCLA. They have some smart to balance out the dumb. We need a little more balance, too, down here in SFL.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
All good points. BUT, he has clearly made it now. If he wanted to change his routine now, he could. OK, he used the system, got up where he wanted to go. Not everybody does that, but that was his choice, and it worked out for him. But now, he's there, he could certainly invest his money so he has a fallback, and take a risk if he wanted to by trying a less tired image. If he wants to stay relevant, he's going to need to anyway - that's what all long-time successful music stars do, they change with the times.

You've got to be kidding he's 33 - I thought he was pushing 55!

He should really lay off the steroids... or the coke, or whatever it is. Anyway, his image is rather old for that age, the womanizing jet set guy. Very Cuban James Bond. How is he younger than Enrique Iglesias and has a far older image? Weird.

And yeah, Aristotle Onassis can't rap worth a d#mn...

Anyway, it would be nice for Miami to get over this tired stereotype of only being a place for shallow partying and brainless blow up dolls in stilettos. It would be nice to morph out of the '80s and have the city gain a reputation for a little more sophistication. We do have schools, some strong medical and other programs (Jon Secada graduated from Frost, after all), and a lot of international business people with strong educations, as well as a growing arts scene. We can do better than 305-Woot!-Woot! by now, can't we?

I'm not saying we're going to be San Francisco or NYC, but even LA has UCLA. They have some smart to balance out the dumb. We need a little more balance, too, down here in SFL.
Here's what he's been up to, clearly he's expanding his field of interest:

Pitbull: 5 surprising facts about the superstar - CNN.com

LOLOLOLOL! on the Voli Vodka, I was wondering what was up with all those vodka bottles in the videos.

I like the sports academy thing he's doing.

Fragrances? Meh. Fragrance is hard to do right, and one of the fews things I didn't like about South Florida when I lived there was the constant odor of really bad perfume and aftershave. At close quarters in a hot and humid climate it's enough to gag a maggot.

The TV development thing is interesting, though. It's high time someone did an updated remake of "I Love Lucy" set in Miami.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:41 PM

696 posts, read 1,172,890 times
Dude is GRADE "A" certified USDA TRAAAASH!

His music is some of the worse I ever heard, it's all recycled pop hits.

I have no idea how he even thinks his music is good or his fans.

If you're looking for bubble gum latino rap/party , Pitbull is your guy.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:05 PM

35,770 posts, read 21,134,823 times
Don't like him don't listen/ I am great FAN he has got LIFE in him- I am over the 60 range and love his beat- go listen to your Perry Como- I have no problem with that- to each his own- but like The Rock another Miami icon who behaves very well-- stay with it Pit Bull ! Miami all the way-
Fireball = Pit Bull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If27FnxvjZA

Old 01-04-2015, 05:20 PM

yes, it's the energy, the life force and the likability that he has going for him. Plus he portrays Miami as an area with some vitality rather than a languid place rotting away in the heat and humidity.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:28 PM

229 posts, read 534,972 times
Old Pitbull:

Old 01-04-2015, 07:11 PM

Great images from his beginnings there, Tri.

M.I.A.M.I. = Money Is A Major Issue. Lol, he got that one right. Always has been.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:56 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,026,020 times
His music is OK, but he's been IMO a good ambassador for the city and I have only heard too things about him, especially giving back to the community,

That being said, his New Year's Eve show SUCKED IT WAS HORRIBLE. I can't beleive no one has noticed nor talked about it, (I guess how few people were watchng, I was not watching by choice) how bad it was.

What's the number one thing about a New Years special? A countdown! Something, the guy was still singing past 12:00am there was no countdown, no nothing, it was an absolute joke and an embarrassment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami