Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 09:29 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,450,978 times

Advertisements

you don't like his music but finds him interesting?

weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 10:17 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,234,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
you don't like his music but finds him interesting?

weird.
I don't like opera either, but I can still appreciate Pavarotti.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:26 AM

564 posts, read 751,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Your ignorance of music is showing. That is not remotely true. I am a big fan of hip-hop and rap, and it is certainly not filled with repetitive party phrases and car alarm sounds. Maybe if you listened to more of it, you'd realize that. It is ironic that you shut yourself off from something you have a wrong impression of. Not all of it is good, of course, but the comments I wrote certainly don't apply to the vast majority of it.
I don't care for Pitbull's music at all, I can't stand it, but it's ridiculous that you trash it and then praise rap and hip hop like it's some sort of higher art form and better than Pittbull. As bad as Pitbull's music is, rap/hip hop are even worse.

Quote:
Sorry, but I find that to be REALLY sexist and typical of someone in the position to oppress others to think. Men have been blaming women and children for their own exploitation since the beginning of time...
Oh lord, careful navigation, feminist ahead.

Quote:
You've got to be kidding he's 33 - I thought he was pushing 55!

He should really lay off the steroids... or the coke, or whatever it is. Anyway, his image is rather old for that age, the womanizing jet set guy. Very Cuban James Bond. How is he younger than Enrique Iglesias and has a far older image? Weird.
What's wrong with the womanizing jet set guy?

I don't know much about Pittbull but you seem to have something personal against him and men in general.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:50 PM

8,069 posts, read 7,009,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post

I don't know much about Pittbull but you seem to have something personal against him and men in general.
Oh please. Just because she doesn't like misogynistic music it doesn't mean she hates men in general. Those two are not connected. Misogyny is not equal to men. Let's use some rules of logic here. Some men are misogynistic, not all men.

There are things I don't like either, for example I can't stand misogynistic movies like National Lampoons or American Pie, that doesn't make me a man hater. I am just more tolerant with music because I care more for the sound that the content.

I don't understand why people care so much if another person doesn't like a celebrity. Reminds me of this guy who stabbed his friend because of Beyonce...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ied-Jay-Z.html

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 01-05-2015 at 03:01 PM..

Old 01-05-2015, 03:16 PM

229 posts, read 536,720 times
Pitbull is not a misogynist, neither is his music.

***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-06-2015 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: Flaming

Old 01-06-2015, 09:46 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,914,482 times
I love men. The ones I hang out with are respectful of women as their equals, and treat me like my opinion is worth as much as theirs. AND they're not afraid of feminists - they too want men and women to be treated as equals. Not that my personal life is relevant to this thread, so I don't know why it's being brought up. I don't have a big issue with Pitbull, as I said I find him boring so I don't really care enough either way to ever think about him. But the thread is specifically asking about him, so I have just as much right to answer those questions as anyone else. And I am spot on about his image - I'm not saying anything anyone else with eyes hasn't agreed with. He has repetitive, sexist lyrics, he looks old, his image is not at all intellectual, and his music has a lot of noises in it that sound like a car alarm or a video game. It's highly produced and electronically manipulated. He's rich, and he can call the shots as to what his lyrics are or what kind of dance moves and outfits are used now. He is powerful enough that his sexist image is a choice, and since someone's asking, no I don't think dumb, sexist, and repetitive is a good image for Miami. We've done that before. I don't remotely care enough about Pitbull to hate him. I just don't care for his music or his image, and he's being thrown in my face every time I turn on the TV, so I find it annoying that people only get famous in Pop if they meet really low standards.

As to hip hop, I specifically said it was not all great. Clearly you can't read. It was just ridiculous to call Pitbull's music hip hop. Just because it's young music with a beat doesn't make it hip hop.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:51 PM

3 posts, read 2,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
So this guy, Pitbull, popped up on my radar when I caught a bit of his New Year's eve special on Fox. I had heard of him in passing a year or so ago, never paid much attention because I'm not much into the whole Auto Tune rap hip-hop thing. But for some reason the little bit of the special I saw got my attention, so I did a little research on the guy and watched/listened to some of the music videos on the 'net, etc.

Interesting fellow. Thought I'd ask some of the Miami forum posters what they think of him. Is this the face of Miami musical entertainment of today? Most of my South Florida cultural references are from the 1980s, early 1990s, when it was all about Miami Vice, Don Johnson, PMT, Gloria Estefan, Jon Secada and (lol) Luther Campbell. And, Vanilla Ice/Rob VanWinkle is more my style than Pitbull.

But still, the guy is quite interesting and seems to be a good entertainer, with sort of a synthesis of Anglo/Afro-Cuban influences, etc. I like the choreography, although the "music", if that's what you call it, kind of disrupts my nervous system, with all that high-pitched "weet-weet-weet" business. I couldn't find any vids where he actually sang, it was all rap or talking, but I'd like to hear more of the singing voice.

Anyway, how is he received in Miami? Is he really Mr. 305 or is that hype? Is he better known outside of Miami? How big is his influence as a South Florida cultural icon?

He seems to be a smart businessman, too, parlaying the street/hip-hop thing into more of a suave, international image. I see he has a bit of endorsement business going. Does he have the actual singing chops to really be Mr. Worldwide as opposed to Mr. 305? Inquiring minds want to know.
I've seen pitbull by himself 5 times back in my wild teen years here in the neighborhood in fademasters and on 7th ave, this was like 2003-2005, very last time before he became "relevant" again was that some people tried robbing him here but it didn't work out and then it seemed him fell off the face of the earth (i listen to hip hop idk if he made any other songs around this time after 05 other than feature for dj khaled) as far as influence, in the neighborhood he has some involvement with this school by the stadium and he's been in certain parks for events never without police and security guards but i mean i really don't check out for his music or anything

Old 01-14-2015, 02:35 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,849,079 times
What I don't like about most artist today is that they idolize/glamorize the thug life. They are not good role models for our youth even though they try to portray that they are by attending youth functions. The sad part is that if they are not this way they will not succeed.

There are double standards but our youth does not know about it until its to late. These famous artist can live the thug life because they are famous and wealthy. Our youth follows them and they get the book thrown at them.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:41 AM

7,748 posts, read 6,543,985 times
A.K.A. a pain in the ass!

Old 01-27-2015, 07:59 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,521,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Cubans make great Americans.
I know right? .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami