Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 11:09 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,234,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
whAt?????he dodged the jlo bullet????
That's news to me.
I enjoy watching him perform and enjoying his songs when they come out on the radio during traffic but that's about it.
He's going to need to evolve if he wants to stay relevant or keep cashing in on all his dance music.

Love when SNL spoofs him!!!!
Yeah, the J-lo thing was something that vaguely came up on the 'net somewhere when I did my crash course. I have no idea what that was about, but it wouldn't surprise me. "On The Floor" did come off as sort of a telegram to the guy, but that's just what it looked like to me, others may have a different impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 11:27 AM

522 posts, read 880,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Yah, it's the energy, I think. He radiates energy.

As to the Fox program, like I said, I only caught some segments and apparently, I missed the real stinker parts.

MCing, hosting is an incredibly difficult gig, that's why people like Ryan Secrest and Dick Clark before him make the big bux. Very few people can do it. It requires a very quick mind and mouth, an ability to think on one's feet, lots of energy and vitality, good communication skills and a fairly good knowledge of the popular culture one is operating in. It also requires a little class. All of that in one package is incredibly rare. Mario Lopez is good at it, Leno is good at it. Mark Walberg (Antiques Roadshow) is good at it, but is afraid to step outside his comfort zone. If Kathy Griffin and Chelsea Handler upped the class factor, they'd be great. Carson Daly? Meh. Energy factor is low. He's dull and phony.

So,unfortunately, hosting is not a gig for Pitbull. He's got the energy and vitality, but it seems that's about it.
exactly!

Old 01-03-2015, 09:47 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,914,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
Your impressions would encompass every rapper, hip hop artist out there. I don't like rap music at all, and won't listen to it.

Your ignorance of music is showing. That is not remotely true. I am a big fan of hip-hop and rap, and it is certainly not filled with repetitive party phrases and car alarm sounds. Maybe if you listened to more of it, you'd realize that. It is ironic that you shut yourself off from something you have a wrong impression of. Not all of it is good, of course, but the comments I wrote certainly don't apply to the vast majority of it.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:40 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,914,482 times
Quote:
I don't care for the misogyny, that's for sure. BUT, BUT, I don't so much blame him for that as I do the female participants in his videos, both the "hot" chicks with cement breasts pawing themselves, and the "stars" who partner with him, like J-lo and Kesha, etc. (shame on them Seriously, that misogyny/machismo would go nowhere if there were no willing female participants, and he'd have to take another tack.

Sorry, but I find that to be REALLY sexist and typical of someone in the position to oppress others to think. Men have been blaming women and children for their own exploitation since the beginning of time. It makes it a lot easier to deal with, rather than addressing the deep-rooted problems in the power structure from which they directly benefit. White people have always said they would not have enslaved people of color, or continued with Jim Crow laws, except that Black people WANTED it, or made it necessary due to their inherent proclivity for physical labor and inability to use intelligence (so-called). Men have always said women would not have been raped if they had not dressed a certain way, or been walking down a street at night alone. It is always the victim's fault that they were victimized. So women, who make perhaps $20,000/yr for dancing on stage, are at fault for taking jobs and orders from the man who makes perhaps $8mil/yr at the center of the stage, and the producer who makes some $15mil/yr. Sure, it's so easy for a woman who may be raising children by herself, and was not given the same opportunities and encouragement for schooling and class achievement as her brothers, to say no to the only opportunity she's being offered. And it's so hard for the man who makes millions as the star of the show to suggest changing the format of the show. And it's so hard for the man who makes millions behind the scenes producing the show to make the call to have a change of wardrobe, or dance moves. Of COURSE, it's the DANCER's fault, because she is the one with the most power and the greatest ability to say no and take another gig in this power structure, right?

Every single major female star has endless stories of the sexism, and sometimes even sexual assault by a superior, that they had to submit to in order to make it in the completely male-dominated power structure of the music industry. It has always been men exploiting women, insisting that they prostitute themselves for the masses to make the most money, and women agreeing if they want to keep their jobs. Otherwise, the men in power threaten to find someone else. You can bet 1,000 times over that J-Lo and Kesha were told on their way up that they had to look a certain way and grind a certain way, or they would be fired, while if Pitbull ever said he preferred not to grind it so hard, or to button a few more buttons, he would be tolerated and kept on (but of course, Pitbull has the option of starting out with a full pair of pants and a shirt on, to begin with, whereas female popstars are forced to perform in a bathing suit or less, or they don't get a contract at all).

Do you actually think there are ANY major female producers in power in the music industry, who own a record company and make all the decisions? Do you actually think they in the majority, or even of equal number to the male executives? And even if one manages to make it up the ranks now, it is only because she is the woman most willing to play the good old boys' game, to continue to misogynist status quo as much as possible. That is true of every single traditionally male-dominated field on Earth.

Prostitutes exist not because they WANT to be there, but because the alternative for women in this country who do not kow-tow to the male hierarchy can be pretty dismal, and if you get yourself in some kind of situation in which you cannot afford to wait out for a respectful job based purely on principle - either a health crisis, a family you need to help out, or kids of your own to take care of (that our society makes it only too easy for the fathers to abandon completely) - then you either go along with being prostituted by the men in power's demands, or you face the consequences.

It is hardly willingness that is what makes women available for exploitation. It is that there are always women out there more desperate to take your place if you as a woman are not desperate enough to do as the men in power command. And it is a society in which you never had any power in the first place that got you to that desperate place, many of these women who were already molested by their male relatives or neighbors, raped and then blamed for it as teens or adults, abandoned by partners once they had children, or by fathers such that they feel a need to care for their mother and other siblings financially. The system is against you from the start. So if the only job you can get is a bump-and-grind job, and you know you're not even going to look young enough to secure one for long (Pitbull of course is as old as the hills and that's ok, but none of his dancers are his age), and you want to see your little sister stay in school and do better than you do - yeah, a lot of women will take the money to make sure their siblings or kids have a better life, that they never have to follow in their footsteps.

So based on all of this, yeah, it is definitely Pitbull's responsibility that with some 10 years of success and a great deal of power and money now at this point in his career, he is still requiring his dancers to lower themselves to the gutter, and he is still singing lyrics and shooting videos as if all women in his life are blow-up dolls and not real 3-dimensional people with their own power and their own perspective. That is 100% on him.

It's interesting to ME that you admire someone who is so obviously a cog in the system, a hack for the paycheck. All he did is follow the formula and show as little originality as he possibly could to get to the top. And yet that is somehow more deserving of respect and admiration than someone who chose to fight the system, who chose to be their own person with their own original image, original music, and original lyrics, and chose to stand up for themselves and what they believe in.

I'm more interested in the few people who struck out to do something different, even if they sacrificed mega-fame to do it. And it would be nice if someone who represented Miami in the media might for once take a non-formulaic approach.

Anyway, I know that got long, but misogyny is very damaging, all the more so when it comes from people who don't think they're being misogynist. We can't sit here and justify the choices Pitbull makes, and blame the people who have no power in the system under him. There is virtually no one with less power in the music industry than backup dancers, so to blame them is both silly, and offensive. This is Pitbull's call, and the reason he keeps it the way it is is because he has no interest whatsoever in risking profits, and he clearly also is a really sexist person to sing about the same thing in the same way for 10 years.

***I really need to stop using C-D to avoid going to bed! LOL ***

Old 01-04-2015, 12:00 AM

229 posts, read 536,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfishkey View Post

respect women as human beings.
lol

Old 01-04-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Sorry, but I find that to be REALLY sexist and typical of someone in the position to oppress others to think. Men have been blaming women and children for their own exploitation since the beginning of time. It makes it a lot easier to deal with, rather than addressing the deep-rooted problems in the power structure from which they directly benefit. White people have always said they would not have enslaved people of color, or continued with Jim Crow laws, except that Black people WANTED it, or made it necessary due to their inherent proclivity for physical labor and inability to use intelligence (so-called). Men have always said women would not have been raped if they had not dressed a certain way, or been walking down a street at night alone. It is always the victim's fault that they were victimized. So women, who make perhaps $20,000/yr for dancing on stage, are at fault for taking jobs and orders from the man who makes perhaps $8mil/yr at the center of the stage, and the producer who makes some $15mil/yr. Sure, it's so easy for a woman who may be raising children by herself, and was not given the same opportunities and encouragement for schooling and class achievement as her brothers, to say no to the only opportunity she's being offered. And it's so hard for the man who makes millions as the star of the show to suggest changing the format of the show. And it's so hard for the man who makes millions behind the scenes producing the show to make the call to have a change of wardrobe, or dance moves. Of COURSE, it's the DANCER's fault, because she is the one with the most power and the greatest ability to say no and take another gig in this power structure, right?

Every single major female star has endless stories of the sexism, and sometimes even sexual assault by a superior, that they had to submit to in order to make it in the completely male-dominated power structure of the music industry. It has always been men exploiting women, insisting that they prostitute themselves for the masses to make the most money, and women agreeing if they want to keep their jobs. Otherwise, the men in power threaten to find someone else. You can bet 1,000 times over that J-Lo and Kesha were told on their way up that they had to look a certain way and grind a certain way, or they would be fired, while if Pitbull ever said he preferred not to grind it so hard, or to button a few more buttons, he would be tolerated and kept on (but of course, Pitbull has the option of starting out with a full pair of pants and a shirt on, to begin with, whereas female popstars are forced to perform in a bathing suit or less, or they don't get a contract at all).

Do you actually think there are ANY major female producers in power in the music industry, who own a record company and make all the decisions? Do you actually think they in the majority, or even of equal number to the male executives? And even if one manages to make it up the ranks now, it is only because she is the woman most willing to play the good old boys' game, to continue to misogynist status quo as much as possible. That is true of every single traditionally male-dominated field on Earth.

Prostitutes exist not because they WANT to be there, but because the alternative for women in this country who do not kow-tow to the male hierarchy can be pretty dismal, and if you get yourself in some kind of situation in which you cannot afford to wait out for a respectful job based purely on principle - either a health crisis, a family you need to help out, or kids of your own to take care of (that our society makes it only too easy for the fathers to abandon completely) - then you either go along with being prostituted by the men in power's demands, or you face the consequences.

It is hardly willingness that is what makes women available for exploitation. It is that there are always women out there more desperate to take your place if you as a woman are not desperate enough to do as the men in power command. And it is a society in which you never had any power in the first place that got you to that desperate place, many of these women who were already molested by their male relatives or neighbors, raped and then blamed for it as teens or adults, abandoned by partners once they had children, or by fathers such that they feel a need to care for their mother and other siblings financially. The system is against you from the start. So if the only job you can get is a bump-and-grind job, and you know you're not even going to look young enough to secure one for long (Pitbull of course is as old as the hills and that's ok, but none of his dancers are his age), and you want to see your little sister stay in school and do better than you do - yeah, a lot of women will take the money to make sure their siblings or kids have a better life, that they never have to follow in their footsteps.

So based on all of this, yeah, it is definitely Pitbull's responsibility that with some 10 years of success and a great deal of power and money now at this point in his career, he is still requiring his dancers to lower themselves to the gutter, and he is still singing lyrics and shooting videos as if all women in his life are blow-up dolls and not real 3-dimensional people with their own power and their own perspective. That is 100% on him.

It's interesting to ME that you admire someone who is so obviously a cog in the system, a hack for the paycheck. All he did is follow the formula and show as little originality as he possibly could to get to the top. And yet that is somehow more deserving of respect and admiration than someone who chose to fight the system, who chose to be their own person with their own original image, original music, and original lyrics, and chose to stand up for themselves and what they believe in.

I'm more interested in the few people who struck out to do something different, even if they sacrificed mega-fame to do it. And it would be nice if someone who represented Miami in the media might for once take a non-formulaic approach.

Anyway, I know that got long, but misogyny is very damaging, all the more so when it comes from people who don't think they're being misogynist. We can't sit here and justify the choices Pitbull makes, and blame the people who have no power in the system under him. There is virtually no one with less power in the music industry than backup dancers, so to blame them is both silly, and offensive. This is Pitbull's call, and the reason he keeps it the way it is is because he has no interest whatsoever in risking profits, and he clearly also is a really sexist person to sing about the same thing in the same way for 10 years.

***I really need to stop using C-D to avoid going to bed! LOL ***
Lol, don't feel bad, sometimes I've stayed up past my bedtime noodling around on the internet.

Anyhoo, I completely agree with you about misogyny, and I do find all that jiggling flesh and exploitation rather repulsive.

But getting back to PB, just as you say the women did what they had to do, so did he. Of course, nobody really HAS to do anything, but OK, let's go from that premise.

In one of the interviews, someone asked him why he abandoned his "street" image in favor of suits, tuxedos, etc. His answer was something like "Are you kidding? I did this to get OFF the streets". So he worked with what he had, what was available, and went with it. I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying that's what he did.

You know, some men have it tough, too. What are the choices for a muscular but not very attractive young man with limited education and contacts? It's not like he was going to join Goldman Sachs or J.P. Morgan, or invent some sort of killer app. Construction? Waiter? Club Bouncer? Those weren't going to get him where he wanted to go. He tried drug dealing, but pulled back from it. So he put together an act, and it sold. With his business sense, I think he could have bypassed all that and built some legit businesses, if the entertainment thing hadn't worked out.

He puts me in mind of Aristotle Onassis, another rather unattractive street tough who made it on sheer determination and native intelligence (and probably a certain amount of thuggery) to become a shipping mogul and one of the richest men in the world in his day. In fact, Onassis was the "Mr. Worldwide" of his time, lol. Couldn't rap worth a dang, though.

Also PB has this crazy likability factor. I don't wanna like this guy, but for some reason, I do.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:46 AM

522 posts, read 880,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Your ignorance of music is showing. That is not remotely true. I am a big fan of hip-hop and rap, and it is certainly not filled with repetitive party phrases and car alarm sounds. Maybe if you listened to more of it, you'd realize that. It is ironic that you shut yourself off from something you have a wrong impression of. Not all of it is good, of course, but the comments I wrote certainly don't apply to the vast majority of it.
Oh, I'm sorry for my ignorance of rap music, as he grabs his crotch, grinds on some girls ass and talks of words of wisdom. lol

Old 01-04-2015, 11:06 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,009,333 times
Quote:
You know, some men have it tough, too. What are the choices for a muscular but not very attractive young man with limited education and contacts? It's not like he was going to join Goldman Sachs or J.P. Morgan, or invent some sort of killer app. Construction? Waiter? Club Bouncer? Those weren't going to get him where he wanted to go. He tried drug dealing, but pulled back from it. So he put together an act, and it sold. With his business sense, I think he could have bypassed all that and built some legit businesses, if the entertainment thing hadn't worked out.

He puts me in mind of Aristotle Onassis, another rather unattractive street tough who made it on sheer determination and native intelligence (and probably a certain amount of thuggery) to become a shipping mogul and one of the richest men in the world in his day. In fact, Onassis was the "Mr. Worldwide" of his time, lol. Couldn't rap worth a dang, though.
Nobody is born with an education and very few people with contacts. Most of the people in this country are not Wall Street investors, Facebook founders, or Einsteins.

There are thousands of mini Pitbulls in South Florida making 40-100k+ a year. They work in sales, management(retail and non-retail), healthcare(2-4 years in Miami Dade) or well paid blue-collar jobs.
I doubt Mr Worldwide would have end up making $8 an hour in his 50's.

He is nothing special. He is just one lucky man who has taken advantage of the opportunities that life gave him. He works very hard. Every new popular song that comes up, you will hear a re-mix with Pitbull in South Florida. Pitbull is everywhere, making sure nobody forgets his old ass.

I always joke around and say he is a cocaine addict that his producers are taking advantage of, making him work like a slave. How can he record so many singles, make so many concerts, interviews and presentations at the same time? How come we never hear he is dating anyone? He doesn't even come across as a misogynist or even human anymore. He is like a machine that is on at all hours of the day and night.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Nobody is born with an education and very few people with contacts. Most of the people in this country are not Wall Street investors, Facebook founders, or Einsteins.

There are thousands of mini Pitbulls in South Florida making 40-100k+ a year. They work in sales, management(retail and non-retail), healthcare(2-4 years in Miami Dade) or well paid blue-collar jobs.
I doubt Mr Worldwide would have end up making $8 an hour in his 50's.

He is nothing special. He is just one lucky man who has taken advantage of the opportunities that life gave him. He works very hard. Every new popular song that comes up, you will hear a re-mix with Pitbull in South Florida. Pitbull is everywhere, making sure nobody forgets his old ass.

I always joke around and say he is a cocaine addict that his producers are taking advantage of, making him work like a slave. How can he record so many singles, make so many concerts, interviews and presentations at the same time? How come we never hear he is dating anyone? He doesn't even come across as a misogynist or even human anymore. He is like a machine that is on at all hours of the day and night.

What's this "old" thing? He's 33, isn't he? OK, so when does he start doing duets with Lady Gaga?

He does look a bit older than his 33 years, though. If I saw him on the street, I'd say he was a 50 year old in great shape.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:33 AM

Anyway, he's no dummy and I'm sure he knows he has a shelf life and all this busyness is him making hay while the sun shines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami