Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 12:43 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,178,545 times

Advertisements

So this guy, Pitbull, popped up on my radar when I caught a bit of his New Year's eve special on Fox. I had heard of him in passing a year or so ago, never paid much attention because I'm not much into the whole Auto Tune rap hip-hop thing. But for some reason the little bit of the special I saw got my attention, so I did a little research on the guy and watched/listened to some of the music videos on the 'net, etc.

Interesting fellow. Thought I'd ask some of the Miami forum posters what they think of him. Is this the face of Miami musical entertainment of today? Most of my South Florida cultural references are from the 1980s, early 1990s, when it was all about Miami Vice, Don Johnson, PMT, Gloria Estefan, Jon Secada and (lol) Luther Campbell. And, Vanilla Ice/Rob VanWinkle is more my style than Pitbull.

But still, the guy is quite interesting and seems to be a good entertainer, with sort of a synthesis of Anglo/Afro-Cuban influences, etc. I like the choreography, although the "music", if that's what you call it, kind of disrupts my nervous system, with all that high-pitched "weet-weet-weet" business. I couldn't find any vids where he actually sang, it was all rap or talking, but I'd like to hear more of the singing voice.

Anyway, how is he received in Miami? Is he really Mr. 305 or is that hype? Is he better known outside of Miami? How big is his influence as a South Florida cultural icon?

He seems to be a smart businessman, too, parlaying the street/hip-hop thing into more of a suave, international image. I see he has a bit of endorsement business going. Does he have the actual singing chops to really be Mr. Worldwide as opposed to Mr. 305? Inquiring minds want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 12:51 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,407,323 times
I've met him several times. Nice guy. When you hear the name Pitbull you think of Miami. He says it in every song

Old 01-02-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I've met him several times. Nice guy. When you hear the name Pitbull you think of Miami. He says it in every song
^^^ This is what came up in my research. It appears that in his personal and business dealings he is respected as a "gentleman" (although the attitude projected toward women in his music and videos is not exactly that of a gentleman, but I realize that's gangsta showbiz, although I don't agree with it) And also his fierce dedication to Miami.

As I said, I find him incredibly interesting as an individual.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:06 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,966,446 times
He is known in the whole country and even around the world, unfortunately for some of us. I think he needs to retire, too old already and he keeps recording the same nonsense. "Mr 305 ha, ha!"

The thing with Pitbull is that even though he is not that talented he is a hard worker, very business oriented and does not get involved in drama like other Latino celebrities like Don Omar...

I think when Pitbull first started he was more original. I never really liked him much as his lyrics were very misogynist. However now days he is very commercial and all his songs sound the same.

This is one of old songs, the only one I probably like, even though the lyrics suck I like the beat. He looks so young and he was a "fresh sound" back then, he hasn't aged very well and he is just annoyingly commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ9SioGG0BQ

Old 01-02-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
He is known in the whole country and even around the world, unfortunately for some of us. I think he needs to retire, too old already and he keeps recording the same nonsense. "Mr 305 ha, ha!"

The thing with Pitbull is that even though he is not that talented he is a hard worker, very business oriented and does not get involved in drama like other Latino celebrities like Don Omar...

I think when Pitbull first started he was more original. I never really liked him much as his lyrics were very misogynist. However now days he is very commercial and all his songs sound the same.

This is one of old songs, the only one I probably like, even though the lyrics suck I like the beat. He looks so young and he was a "fresh sound" back then, he hasn't aged very well and he is just annoyingly commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ9SioGG0BQ
Thanks, Sugah, I was hoping you'd weigh in, you seem to have a good handle on the culture in Miami. I have to say, he must be doing something right, even now, if he's crossed the radar of someone like me who is pretty well stuck in the 80s and 90s. He seems to have a lot of personal power and my guess is, he'll be moving on to other ventures. I was hoping to find something where he actually sings, like Enrique, but couldn't turn anything up, so I figure it's more beat and rap with Pitbull.

I don't know if he's got any acting chops that could carry a full length movie as opposed to fast cuts in a video, but I think he'd be perfect for another remake of Scarface, and I think I even heard him make reference to it in one of his videos. Really, he couldn't do any worse than Pacino did in the role, because Pacino played it as high camp.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:40 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,383,440 times
Didn't like him at all when he first started to get big: he seemed like a walking embodiment of every negative, gaudy stereotype about Miami. That said, he does seem to give a lot back to the community and I've heard nothing but good things about him on a personal level. Still don't like the music, but I've come around to seeing his image with a sense of ironic humor nowadays. Dale!

Old 01-02-2015, 02:42 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,966,446 times
I guess you can call this singing... LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2tMV96xULk

Old 01-02-2015, 03:32 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,407,323 times
He always has the hottest chicks in his videos!!

Old 01-02-2015, 03:34 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,419,136 times
he owns Miami Subs mmmm

Old 01-02-2015, 04:02 PM

518 posts, read 868,788 times
Pitbull is more rapper not singer. He collaborates with many main stream artists. I went to one of his concerts last year and it was fun. You can't read to much into the intellectual side of it. His performances are I think 6 hot chicks , allot of references to 305 ,Mister worldwide , Miami. sex, smoke and big screen backgrounds. He's not well versed and a terrible MC. I personally like the style of music, it gets me jumping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami