Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 11:18 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times

Advertisements

People are superficial when they have very little substance. The void left by the lack of substance has to be filled with something.
Not all people in Miami are superficial; it's just that there are more than our fair share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 12:14 PM

683 posts, read 853,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
People are superficial when they have very little substance. The void left by the lack of substance has to be filled with something.
Not all people in Miami are superficial; it's just that there are more than our fair share.
I think you see it more because it's a small city. If you go to LA. You know what parts are like that and can escape to another part. Doesn't work like that in Miami. I never thought a small city like that could ever compare and be popular, actually more popular than other major cities in the US.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:10 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I wouldn't be quick to label a city and it's people superficial all because it attracts a higher end niche of people. We cannot judge people until we get to know them. Just because they are more successful, have more then you, and are able to afford a lifestyle most people dream of doesn't mean they lack substance. It's like saying just because somebody is good looking lacks substance, something that ugly people use against good looking people to get people to want to discount someone just for being good looking (usually because they are jealous and envy that person). Whose to say you can't have good looks and substance? Whose to say that Miami doesn't have quality people all because they can afford a lifestyle most people only dream of?

Old 05-17-2015, 07:21 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
I wouldn't be quick to label a city and it's people superficial all because it attracts a higher end niche of people. We cannot judge people until we get to know them. Just because they are more successful, have more then you, and are able to afford a lifestyle most people dream of doesn't mean they lack substance. It's like saying just because somebody is good looking lacks substance, something that ugly people use against good looking people to get people to want to discount someone just for being good looking (usually because they are jealous and envy that person). Whose to say you can't have good looks and substance? Whose to say that Miami doesn't have quality people all because they can afford a lifestyle most people only dream of?

But so many in South FL cannot afford all this stuff, they just play the part. There are wealthy people everywhere. Miami and South FL in general seems to attract folks that try to portray a certain image, when in reality, many are not saying/earning/doing what they say or portray they are.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:17 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
But so many in South FL cannot afford all this stuff, they just play the part. There are wealthy people everywhere. Miami and South FL in general seems to attract folks that try to portray a certain image, when in reality, many are not saying/earning/doing what they say or portray they are.
There is going to be wannabe's everywhere you go in the world it's not just South Florida.

Even then, I don't see why people would be so concerned with how other people choose to live.

My response was to the people who can actually afford to live the lifestyle most would call "superficial".

Old 05-18-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
There is going to be wannabe's everywhere you go in the world it's not just South Florida.

Even then, I don't see why people would be so concerned with how other people choose to live.

My response was to the people who can actually afford to live the lifestyle most would call "superficial".

Of course, but most see it worse in South FL than just about anywhere else. And in many areas, South FL is dirt poor. And then you have guys my age (early 30s) that try to act the part, but most my age down there make less than I do, but I dont try to act like they do. Sad, really.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:02 AM

3 posts, read 3,706 times
Miami's big problem is it wants to be like LA/NYC but does not have the entertainment industry to give it the glam factor. Show biz is why all the hot people wind up in LA or NYC. So you have Miami people screaming - look at me I am cool. Miami clubs remind me of San Diego Gaslamp District clubs; nobodies acting like actors. But, Miami coke-***** scene is way more out in the open than LA, so I will give you that advantage.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:07 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Nature also makes people less violent. Cram people in a hot box like Miami with no future and they behave like rats.

http://www.cocef.org/uploads/content...tructure28.pdf

Old 05-22-2015, 10:46 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
"So you have Miami people screaming - look at me I am cool. Miami clubs remind me of San Diego Gaslamp District clubs; nobodies acting like actors"

...speaking of San Diego and the Gaslamp, here's a video that will probably remind you of that cesspool area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5KmBMKIvTM

Old 05-22-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Exactly.

If Pepito, Tyron or Scott is playing a $1,200 car lease because it makes him feel better that's his problem. I don't care if he can afford or not. Most likely he can if he is still driving it. I'm not paying his bills and if his car gets repossessed or if he lives with his mother that's his problem too. His choices, his problems.

Who's Scott?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami