Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:00 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times

Advertisements

I'm ok on the Spanish and job end. Interesting to hear about Coral Gables, we will most def. check it out, although we aren't interested in single family homes, just condos and such. That's one reason why I was leaning towards Brickell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 11:44 PM

96 posts, read 366,103 times
Brickell is also pretty nice, some of those condos are gorgeous.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:02 AM

224 posts, read 1,001,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Well when I say suburban, don't think boring cookie cutter homes and a bunch of dead-ends. Coral Gables is not that. It's suburban but it's old suburban, with old large houses from early 1900's, that look more like mansions or palaces, and the streets are all grid, or close to grid, so you don't have that suburban street-style. But yeah, Coral Gables is all single-family homes, so if you're looking for upscale big city living, you definitely should be looking into Brickell, that's definitely more your area.

Like I've said, Downtown Miami's got everything at a stone throw and it has great public transit, with the FREE Metromover, which has 3 lines and 21 stations in Downtown alone and Metrorail which has 3 stations in Downtown (1 in Brickell). Miami Beach is about 5 minutes away, Performing Arts Center, American Airlines Arena, huge financial office headquarters, Bayfront Park, Bicentennial Park, Civic Center, great schools, all in the area. Coconut Grove is 10 minutes away, Coral Gables is about 10-15 minutes away, Port of Miami 2 minutes away, Airport 10 minutes away, Doral 20 minutes away, etc. It's Downtown Miami, so it's the center of things.
Coral Gables does have a high rise area as well... Not as much as Brickell but it's still a high rise and walkable to Miracle Mile...

Old 02-24-2008, 08:59 AM

9 posts, read 25,816 times
GTVM,
Perhaps I don't have the right to comment being a Bostonian looking to relocate to Miami but I've lived long enough to know that you are right on!!! Good for you.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:05 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottere View Post
The city of Doral could be a nice alternative!
Avoid Doral, the traffic there is terrible, as it is a collection of gated communities and man-made barriers. Doral is an example of how "master planning" by Miami-Dade county causes havoc. Doral was built on some of the least desireable land in Miami-Dade county while Coral Gables as an earler development was built on some of the best. The bad thing is that Coral Gables is like Big Brother and will dictate everything about how your home is including its color.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:38 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
Just throwing in my 2-cents worth of comment and feel qualified to do so, as I've lived in Coral Gables for over 40 years..... from 1966 to 2002 when I retired and moved "out west" ! The Gables has always offered the finest quality of life compared to everything else, and its police/fire departments are THE BEST! I've personally given up on Miami-Dade County but The City Beautiful is still #1 compared to all the rest !

Old 02-26-2008, 03:04 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times
interesting to hear your comments on the Coral Gables.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:45 PM

130 posts, read 466,207 times
Would Coral Gables be affordable for a single person renting a 1 bedroom apartment on 40-45K per year?

Old 03-18-2008, 02:54 PM

18 posts, read 74,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz33 View Post
Im interested in moving to Miami and yes i have been put off by alot of people on here saying that Miami is a hell hole!!! But despite this i like the look of Coral Gables, can anybody tell me what it is like here with regards to renting, jobs, crime etc? thanks in advance..
Do yourself a favor FORGET IT!

Old 03-18-2008, 04:50 PM

37 posts, read 157,277 times
My 2 cents...
Coral Gables is a very nice area to live and work as well. It has a business-oriented downtown that is walkable and filled with great restaurants and shops.
The downside is that perhaps rents are a bit too steep, but there is an area just west of Coral Gables (57th avenue) where you can get a place for a bit less money.
If you like to be in an area that is centrally located, pedestrian-friendly, and has personality, I thing CG is a great option... It is true that for the most part there are single-family homes for rent, but condo options are available as well, especially through the downtown area. As someone else said: visit and see for yourself. Every person's experience of Miami is a universe on it's own. It's a love or hate (or both sometimes lol) thing, but CG is definitely worth visiting IMO... Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami