Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 10:07 PM

52 posts, read 52,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
He watched a documentary on Buffett eating fast food and Mark Cuban saying he doesn't care about fashion on Shark Tank.

Sure, Gazillionaires don't shop at malls like that, big deal. There are tons and tons of families making $500k-$1ML/year throughout this world and those people shop at places like that all the time. Why do you think Bal Harbour shops is so successful?

Where do 'rich' people shop? Westfield Mall? Dolphin mall? No, they go to places like Bal Harbour, maybe Aventura, etc.

Whether BCC survives or not is not relevant to 'high net worth people not shopping at high-end malls' - they still do, they don't buy their luxury coats, designer dresses, tailored suits, etc. from Amazon
My point is I see no potential in a place as BCC and would never consider investing in it (not through REITs or any other investment vehicles) nor shopping there because I do not care about luxury items. Maybe that is the reason why I am biased against it. However, I do respect your opinions.

Your wealth is not correlated to the make of your car, believe me, I have seen it a million times. and no, MOST(some do) rich people do not go to Bal Harbour, Aventura, strippers do!. I can personally assure you that, being the niece of a millionaire who owns a business outside of the US. the problem in the US is that people like to speculate. Some of them are not even rich, they are speculators. they have to work like slaves the pay uncle Sam at the end of the month but stupidly.

I actually watched that documentary on WB btw, a very humble and smart guy, maybe that is the reason why he has got more money than you and me, is more successful than you and me and for sure has more self-confidence than you and me. Maybe that is why he is Ok with driving a simple car, because he has got a high self-esteem. Don't you admire people like him ? Cause I do.

I also read and recommend you to read How to Win in the Sport of Business by Mark Cuban, another guy who came from the bottom and who at one point of his life shared an apartment with four roommates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
your assumptions, particularly on people and matters you are not familiar with, never ceases to amaze me and, no, you know nothing about me (upbringing, education, successful career, financial worth, network of highly successful friends and family)--so please stop pretending that you do. You really should stop--you are not very good at this. Do you speak about Cuban, Gates, Bezos etc from personal experience and pretend to know them as well??
Cuban, Bezos, Gates, Dalio, burry (michael) etc. share one thing most Miami folks know nothing about: humbleness. You do not have to know them to be mindful of the fact they could not care less about expensive stuff.

I congratulate you on your achievements. I am pretty sure they are many.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
your assumptions, particularly on people and matters you are not familiar with, never ceases to amaze me and, no, you know nothing about me (upbringing, education, successful career, financial worth, network of highly successful friends and family)--so please stop pretending that you do. You really should stop--you are not very good at this. Do you speak about Cuban, Gates, Bezos etc from personal experience and pretend to know them as well??
By the way, you were asking about certain indicators that would make you aware of mainly the revenues of BCC.

The mall is owned partially by Swire Properties, which is headquartered in Hong Kong, China. one of the links below will take you to the stock chart on google (maybe you are considering investing in it). The 1 year chart shows a rather volatile scenario, although if BCC were to meet the sales goals the stock could be having some gains in the upcoming company earnings report.
I also put in a link of the last interim results of the company.

you may wanna look into it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=swir...hrome&ie=UTF-8

http://www.swireproperties.com/~/med...Eng.ashx?la=en

Last edited by truthislikepoetry; 01-15-2018 at 10:40 PM..

Old 01-15-2018, 11:09 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
He watched a documentary on Buffett eating fast food and Mark Cuban saying he doesn't care about fashion on Shark Tank.

Sure, Gazillionaires don't shop at malls like that, big deal. There are tons and tons of families making $500k-$1ML/year throughout this world and those people shop at places like that all the time. Why do you think Bal Harbour shops is so successful?

Where do 'rich' people shop? Westfield Mall? Dolphin mall? No, they go to places like Bal Harbour, maybe Aventura, etc.

Whether BCC survives or not is not relevant to 'high net worth people not shopping at high-end malls' - they still do, they don't buy their luxury coats, designer dresses, tailored suits, etc. from Amazon
Agree except for tailored suits, even not so wealthy people go to a tailor for a custom suit because in the end you're not saving much over buying from the rack and taking it to a tailor. Of course, some people prefer local boutique places over mall places too.

Believe me, plenty go to Aventura, but not necessarily during the weekend movie crowds.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:44 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
That would be interesting to see. I always pass by to see how things are going and all I see is a dead mall (Town & Country circa early 2000's). It feels that it lacks a certain kind of definition to attract people. Lack of a defined parking service (besides the one at the mall proper) could be contributing to its current presence as well. I also believe that the pedestrian-to-building interactivity is rather poor. You don't feel a connection to that building unless you care to go inside. That might work in a suburban setting, but in a city, you need interesting programs on the first floor pulling the pedestrian into the building. I would say their anchor attractions revolve around the few restaurants on the second floor.
I agree with your point on the street design. It could have been done better.

I think BCC is a little too high end. I get not wanting to have Claire's Boutique, Sbarro's and Foot Locker, but there's a lot of ground between those stores and stores that sell $250 swimming trunks. They can keep some of the higher end stores, but it should be balanced with more mid-range options like Uniqlo, Club Monaco, Bonobos, Lilly Pulitzer, Warby Parker, etc. Even a nice Levi's store could generate more foot traffic without completely destroying the cachet.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:43 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
On a positive note, looks like CMX Cinema will be forced to get their act together as a competitor, Silverspot Cinemas, is scheduled to open mid-late February in downtown by Whole Foods and Bouludsud. They will have 17 theatre rooms on 4 levels. Looks like they have other locations already open in Coconut Creek, Naples, and Chapel Hill, North Carolina where ticket prices are a more reasonable $14.75 vs the $26 charged by CMX. Their other locations get much better reviews on Yelp than CMX.

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
If you read the Yelp reviews, it has gotten progressively worse. I was planning to go see a movie there this weekend, but changed my mind after reading Yelp.

It's not really competing with Dolphin, Aventura or Sawgrass; it's catering to a completely different clientele. If you'd walk thru Bal Harbour Shops you'd probably think it was empty too, yet it is the most successful shopping center in the entire country.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-16-2018 at 06:50 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 06:44 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,661,232 times
Quote:
On a positive note, looks like CMX Cinema will be forced to get their act together as a competitor, Silverspot Cinemas, is scheduled to open mid-late February in downtown by Whole Foods and Bouludsud. They will have 17 theatre rooms on 4 levels. Looks like they have other locations already open in Coconut Creek, Naples, and Chapel Hill, North Carolina where ticket prices are a more reasonable $14.75 vs the $26 charged by CMX. Their NC location gets much better reviews on Yelp than CMX.

M
Like I said on another thread, I knew this would happen and noone believed me and look at that. 2.5/5 on Yelp, 3.5/5 on Trip Advisor. The competition might help, we'll see. Cool concept, horribly executed, anything to make profit asap rather than taking its time.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:52 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,357,665 times
That theatre won't sustain. The new one downtown will eat away the millennials who live downtown and edge of Brickell for a better theatre at cheaper prices.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:52 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
Silverspot gets 4 stars at all 3 of their other locations and less expensive--we know service can only be an improvement over what exists at CMX. Looking forward to a second option now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Like I said on another thread, I knew this would happen and noone believed me and look at that. 2.5/5 on Yelp, 3.5/5 on Trip Advisor. The competition might help, we'll see. Cool concept, horribly executed, anything to make profit asap rather than taking its time.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:54 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,357,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthislikepoetry View Post
Your wealth is not correlated to the make of your car, believe me, I have seen it a million times. and no, MOST(some do) rich people do not go to Bal Harbour, Aventura, strippers do!. I can personally assure you that, being the niece of a millionaire who owns a business outside of the US. the problem in the US is that people like to speculate. Some of them are not even rich, they are speculators. they have to work like slaves the pay uncle Sam at the end of the month but stupidly.

I also read and recommend you to read How to Win in the Sport of Business by Mark Cuban, another guy who came from the bottom and who at one point of his life shared an apartment with four roommates.
I can assure you that Strippers are not who's buying $10K mink coats in Bal Harbour or dropping thousands on expensive jewelry/high end accessories.

I know many, many wealthy people in this city and they DO shop there quite often and take their kids to Aventura mall to make more of a 'day' out of it.

Also, I have read Cuban's book, I've been watching him on Shark tank for 6+ years, watch his interviews, etc. and know his story quite well. As a Business Owner myself, he is someone I have always looked up to....and he still wears nice suits on TV, he just doesn't care about fashion. I don't either, I dress nice as its a cultural norm, but the 'brand' on my 'nice' shirt I could care less about it.

Your assumptions about people in general seem to be 180 degrees off, as they do about BCC. if BCC fails, its because large outdoor malls are failing, not enough 'shoppers' in the area, bad service, lack of demand, etc. Brickell wasn't clamoring for a shopping center so that is the biggest reason why it could fail. We already have Lincoln Road mall, Collins ave district, Midtown, Dadeland, Aventura, and then Design District & Bal Harbour & Merrick Park for the high end stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami