Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 12:26 PM

929 posts, read 1,157,248 times

Advertisements

no NIMBY here. all the tourists are welcome to see the prison on the way to everglades natl park. nuclear power plants surrounded by residences

Old 01-10-2007, 12:39 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
I guess its perspective and personal tastes to what fun is but gotta agree in my opinion Miami has little left for me.

Im a rock guitarist,frankly because of the ethnic makeup of Miami there are not many places to see live bands to play or just see entertanment.

My house is for sale,one reason being up the state around Orlando-Tampa there are many clubs-nitespots to play and more musicians to join-form a band.

Watersports is awesome in Miami though,boating,fishing...I don't go to the beach anymore though.

Hardly any national acts (ROCK-METAL)come to Miami anymore to perform because there is no market for it.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:05 PM

miami is a learning experience. it deprives you of so many things that you have newfound appreciation for basic things once you leave. just revisiting LA for christmas i appreciated so many things i once took for granted. i hear the same from new yorkers who move back to new york.
i would love to stay and explore the everglades in kayak or canoe forever. the everglades and the keys are like sirens calling me to my doom to stay here. but the fact of the matter is, the economy is getting worse and tech jobs are getting harder to find and i cant afford to live at the price what they pay for a retail job here.

and i agree on the national acts thing. warped tour made me miss that sort of thing soooooo much. and when nofx played 'dont call me white' it was like an anthem to the crowd because it really has some meaning here.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:11 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW2007 View Post
I meant "i'm glad I didn't buy his place." And also you "THOUGHT" right. It's called a river, not an ocean. The front of the house faces towards what we call a STREET and across the street is a NEIGHBOR. NEIGHBORS = NEIGHBORHOOD. Following?... Than behind my house is called the NEW RIVER along LAS OLAS and BROWARD BLVD. Hope that clears things up buddy.
Wow, I am so dense. Thanks for clearing that up.
And I am sorry if I confused you. I am female and not your buddy.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
ahh so im even deeper into latin america than you are =P
Cixel you know after a while you've kind of grown on me. You're not half bad. I was thinking, if you're from LA, why does the population of Homestead surprise you?

Old 01-10-2007, 02:23 PM

thanks.
because in socal most latin people were friendly to us and the culture was english first spanish a plus. here both of those things are the opposite. most people are annoyed and get angry when we burst their bubble that not everyone knows spanish. in addition to this. we moved here and scouted it out during snowbird season and had no real concept of snowbirds and how the place goes nearly fully hispanic in summer. i like the humidity - i was sick of the dryness of socal and the ocean water is actually WARM! sometimes we go down to the keys, bring beer or premixed margarita and sit in the 90+ degree water in the summer. thats awesome. even hawaii doesnt get that warm.
back to the point, even out in the boonies in the west coast, civilization doesnt degrade to the point we see here. it seems like accountability is broken here and then the non-customer service attitude of "we got it, we know you want it, so youre going to take it any way we give it to you and youre going to lap it up and like it"

Old 01-10-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
thanks.
because in socal most latin people were friendly to us and the culture was english first spanish a plus. here both of those things are the opposite. most people are annoyed and get angry when we burst their bubble that not everyone knows spanish. in addition to this. we moved here and scouted it out during snowbird season and had no real concept of snowbirds and how the place goes nearly fully hispanic in summer. i like the humidity - i was sick of the dryness of socal and the ocean water is actually WARM! sometimes we go down to the keys, bring beer or premixed margarita and sit in the 90+ degree water in the summer. thats awesome. even hawaii doesnt get that warm.
back to the point, even out in the boonies in the west coast, civilization doesnt degrade to the point we see here. it seems like accountability is broken here and then the non-customer service attitude of "we got it, we know you want it, so youre going to take it any way we give it to you and youre going to lap it up and like it"

HUMMM. Maybe you can move out of Homestead and closer to the Gables or the Grove? How 'bout around SoBe? If I was your age, that's where I'd like to be. At my age, that's where I'd really like to be. I'm a hustle and bustle city person at heart with a Tu-Tu Tango or Perricone's thrown in here and there.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:45 PM

398 posts, read 1,409,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Actually I was born and raised in Miami and visit my parents there often. There are good people in Miami, yes but they are limited by a corrupt system. It really is amazing how fast Miami was changed, and in my opinion it is lost for the rest of our lives.

Yes there are good people here, but since they are a tiny minority, you almost don't see them. The majority has the power, the majority detremine the city authorities, hence the system.

On a side note, Miami was changed due to undiscriminated immigration policies. The same with several cities accross the nation. And if nothing is done, before you can realize it, the whole United States will be changed pretty soon.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:46 PM

what do you think would happen if the US had some sort of economic chaos this year and they cut all the welfare aid to south florida?

Old 01-11-2007, 07:08 AM

93 posts, read 329,907 times
Quote:
what do you think would happen if the US had some sort of economic chaos this year and they cut all the welfare aid to south florida?
More murders? I have the problem with welfare folks solely because whenever I drive by through government housing in Broward, I see very nice cars with 22's 24's and ladies walking out with their LV, burberry, etc purses. Living ghetto fabulous.

Sorry but another issue I have with Broward specifically is that hundreds of sexual predators are living a .5 mile radius of schools. "Their" reasoning is that housing is too high away from school areas, so they just stick them in cheap areas near schools and officials keep it hush hush. Take a look at the SP database for FL.

Oh, on a good note, did you hear about the trailerpark being bought for half a billion $? It's great to hear that those 480 something residents are millionaires or close close to it overnight.

To VP, you're welcome & I don't see why you hate me so much. But I wish you luck in Florida in years to come . It will only get worse... I will be coming here for vacation only to take a sh*t and leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami