Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 05:59 AM

438 posts, read 653,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You're responding to a post from 2007. And the comment trying to correlate the cost of a car with the market value of a house makes as little sense now as it did then.
You're entitled to your opinion; and I, to mine.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:53 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
You're entitled to your opinion; and I, to mine.
I have no problem with anything you wrote. I was referring to the author of the comment in 2007 (whom you quoted in your recent post) who has a problem with people who owned $300k houses driving luxury sedans. That comment made no sense in 2007 and it makes no sense now.

You wrote that "(r)eal rich people who have education and class do not make an effort to show off themselves the way so many in Miami do these days." That's very true. However, that has absolutely nothing to do with whether one chooses to drive a luxury car. Most people who buy and drive luxury automobiles do so because they love the accoutrements of the car and the driving experience. Regardless of what aspersions you and others want to cast, they didn't buy the car to demonstrate their "pseudo-wealth."

Old 07-24-2014, 08:28 AM

438 posts, read 653,859 times
Quote:
Most people who buy and drive luxury automobiles do so because...they didn't buy the car to...
And speaking for "most people" you know this for a fact, right?

Old 07-24-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
And speaking for "most people" you know this for a fact, right?
I know it as well as you and Doggiebus know for a fact that people buy luxury cars because they're trying to impress others.

Or did you come by your "facts" by asking them?

Old 07-24-2014, 09:49 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
That's because your minds are big and open, and you think rationally, and you give too much time and attention to these pseudo-wealthy people and their supercilliousness (don't you just love that word, LOL). Real rich people who have education and class do not make an effort to show off themselves the way so many in Miami do these days. They don't need to. The people who love to put on the 'look at me and the stuff I've got show' need to mitigate for their lack of character, soul, and purpose in life. They should spend some of their money on a course on how to develop a personality and get a life. Whoever starts teaching this course in Miami is going to get very rich because the classes would sell out every week.
I've been told that some of that ostentatious behavior comes from people who've immigrated from Cuba or other South American countries; it's important to them that their compatriots see that they're doing very well in Miami. That's followed by the "keep up with the Jones' ( or would it be the Perez's in this case?) mentality where they compete with each other to be the guy with the most money and most stuff at the top of the pile.

Don't know how true that is, but I'd not be surprised that it's at least part of the reason for all that display of "look at how rich I am" mentality in Miami.

Frankly, when I lived in Miami, we pretty much ignored the phenomenon, and hobnobbed with the regular working folks, families ( of all ethnicities) where this ostentatiousness wasn't so much a part of life.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:04 AM

683 posts, read 853,859 times
Quote:
That's because your minds are big and open, and you think rationally, and you give too much time and attention to these pseudo-wealthy people and their supercilliousness (don't you just love that word, LOL). Real rich people who have education and class do not make an effort to show off themselves the way so many in Miami do these days. They don't need to. The people who love to put on the 'look at me and the stuff I've got show' need to mitigate for their lack of character, soul, and purpose in life. They should spend some of their money on a course on how to develop a personality and get a life. Whoever starts teaching this course in Miami is going to get very rich because the classes would sell out every week.
Love your post and it's spot on. The bolded though, have you notice that these people really don't have the money? They look the part, but it's not exactly what it seems. They live at home or have multiple roommates. Lease a BMW or Mercedes. Rent suits for the weekend.

Years ago. In Miami there were just a small portion of people like that. The people that actually had money. Now it appears everybody is on a front. I miss the 2 Live Crew days. That's never coming back.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:15 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
You know people enjoy things in life, one of those things is an automobile. Miami has a car culture just like LA.

These people saying oh they only buy them to look cool, they can't afford them etc.. I don't know if you guys are just jealous of those people or just have an issue with the type of people who live here...

Miami is full of very wealthy people. You think all those expensive cars in Coral Gables, Brickell, Coconut Grove, Miami Beach are people who can't afford them?

Also because Miami has a large wealthy population and a large wealthy second home population there is a large used car market for luxury cars. This part of the story is always missed by the "Miami people just like to show off" crowd. Go into the Trump Towers garage in Sunny Isles Beach or many of the other luxury condos on the beach. Many of those units are owned by very wealthy people from all over the world who keep a second place in Miami. They have really really nice cars. Those cars get old quick for them, they go on the used car market.

I drive a G500, it is has been in my family for 12 years now. It is not worth much more than $25,000. But to the common person, especially one who knows nothing about cars it looks like a $110,000 SUV.

Someone buying one car at $75,000 is cheaper than buying three $25,000 cars over the same 12 years.

Next thing I will hear is the people can't actually afford the private planes at the many general aviation airports in South Florida...

Old 07-27-2014, 10:33 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Luxury cars are overpriced junk. Fuel guzzling, turd shaped overteched piles of parts. Classic cars are where it's at, unique and an investment that does not depreciate. My !969 Chargers still get plenty of attention, have ice cold air, they suck gas but are running on fuel I make from plastic so who cares? For work I have a pickup that works for the farm, and is great for driving in Miami, to keep the other drivers away. But leaving the keys and Miami I have found a much more interesting lifestyle that I had when I started this thread. Instead of the Miami lifestyle it's more of a swamp culture.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Luxury cars are overpriced junk. Fuel guzzling, turd shaped overteched piles of parts.
I see you know as little about kuxury automobiles as you know about economics.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:56 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Quote:
I see you know as little about kuxury automobiles as you know about economics.
Not just me, but many mechanics. Why do people like Jay Leno collect classic cars?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_8VueuEtH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV9rJwEOCus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami