Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:23 AM

10 posts, read 28,433 times

Advertisements

AWESOME!! Thank you so much for all the time you have put into this!! Hopefully I won't need to bother you anymore with a thousand questions, although I'm sure I will ! This Miami thing is just so much more complicated than I thought it would be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 05:42 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Be sure to give Crisp a rep..if you liked the info..

Old 05-13-2008, 07:58 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
I received it... thank you!

Old 05-14-2008, 04:15 AM

14 posts, read 37,869 times
I am moving to Miami as well in about 6 weeks with an 8 year old and a 9 nine year old. I have done EXTENSIVE research (we have known about this move for a year & I am an obsessive planner & organizer!) on the schools & neighborhoods of Palmetto Bay, Pinecrest and Coral Gables and hope that we are fortunate to find a rental (we will only be in Miami for 3 years maximum) in one of those locations. Palmetto Bay, Pinecrest and Coral Reef Elementary Schools are both highly rated on greatschools.net (and came highly recommended by some families in my husband's new office). I also liked the academic and demographic information that was provided for these schools. So many of the homes in the true "Coral Gables" area are out of our price range but I think we will be quite happy in one of those other areas. There is also a very well rated school in Kendall - Calusa (?) - but that area seems to be very congested and would extend my husband's commute time. You might want to look into it though as it seems the rents are a bit less expensive in that area.
Good luck!

Old 05-14-2008, 10:47 PM

Keating, where are you moving? Calusa is in a very nice area near the Calusa Country Club. Where will your husband be commuting? That location really is not that far west and if he works in Coral Gables, Doral, or Downtown Miami/Brickell the commute would be fine.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:07 AM

10 posts, read 28,433 times
Keating, thanks for the additional info. WOW! Calusa does look promising as well, I had not even heard of this school so thanks for the reccomendation! So Crisp, you say that area wouldn't be a bad commute to UM?? Could my husband still catch the Metro-rail from there, and if not from there what would the commute be like to park at the Dadeland station and catch it from there (would traffic be bad in between those two areas?). Also, if we were to choose Calusa what area should I look in, what area is covered by this school? In other words what would I type in a search for rentals? Thanks again for any info.!!

Old 05-15-2008, 10:59 AM

Well, a 15 minute commute to UM from Pincrest/east Kendall will double to 30 minutes if you commute from the Crossings area (name of the neighborhood serviced by both Calusa Elementary and Devon Aire K-8 Center). In medium-level traffic, it will take 15 minutes to drive from the Crossings to the Dadeland South metro rail station. If that is fine, the Crossings area is cheaper for both home sales and rents than some of the other areas I have mentioned to you. A family friend used to live back there off of SW 127th Avenue and I think it is a nice, middle to upper middle class area. Demographically, I believe it is 55% Hispanic, 35% non-Hispanic white, with the remaining 10% being either Asian/Indian or black. In other words, pretty typical for central Kendall. I would consider it as an option for you, but would not advise as to going even further west to the Hammocks area because although that area is also safe, traffic in west Kendall is pretty bad and the commute to UM will be almost 45 minutes in the morning.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:03 AM

14 posts, read 37,869 times
My husband's new office is right by the zoo. He has recently been in Miami on two business trips and seems to think that the commute to the office from the Coral Gables/Pinecrest/Palmetto Bay area would be the best. So, I am doing a lot of my on line real estate "looking" in the Coral Reef park area.

Quite frankly, I heard about how great Calusa ES was and that the area around the Country Club was quite nice... however, I heard much more about the horrible traffic in Kendall so I didn't really look much further. We are moving to Miami from the outback of Australia but have lived in the very congested areas of NY and Washington DC and just want to avoid the traffic as much as we can. Impossible, I know! When I did searches on this forum for Kendall, there were too many negatives about the traffic right at the get go. We will be in Miami for our house hunting trip in early July and I will certainly be willing to take a closer look at it if you think it is worth it. The school i so well rated. We don't care too much about being close to downtown Miami but we do like being outdoors so location/easy access to the beach, parks, ocean, etc is important.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:13 PM

Wait... if your husband's office is right by Miami Metrozoo (SW 152nd Street west of the Florida Turnpike) his commute will be much faster from the Crossings (near Calusa Elementary) than from Pinecrest or Palmetto Bay. Sure, Pinecrest is better for commuting to downtown, but the Crossings area is better for commuting to the area near the zoo. The Crossings to Miami Metrozoo is a 10 minute drive because traffic is never really bad going between those two locations. There are a lot of stores/restaurants right on Kendall Drive (SW 88th Street) where you can shop/dine close to home so you really won't be stuck in traffic day-to-day around there if your husband works locally and your children go to school locally.

Last edited by Marlin331; 05-16-2008 at 02:31 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 04:13 PM

31 posts, read 104,900 times
Why everybody try to avoid Howard drive elementary? Is it really that bad? were elementary school boundaries change often? I am interested in a house in sw 142 TE (South to the canal), I am wondering if there is any chance that this property will be redrew into coral reef in the future?

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami