Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 04:45 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I have heard many Hispanics by the way say they did not like a place because it was too Hispanic ... yes that is funny .. could be that they are second generation Hispanic Americans , have assimilated and are uncomfortable with some of the recent immigrants ?

I see this in California and Texas with the seond and even third generation Mexican Americans who are not all fond of the people coming in illegally now .. it happens I guess .
No need to put a question mark after your first paragraph becuase when it comes to discussion of "Hispanics," you pretty much know what you're talking about. People are so quick to lump "Hispanics" together when the group is extremely diverse in terms of race, color, language (many "Hispanics" don't speak Spanish, some don't speak English, some speak both very well), time of arrival (100 years ago versus last week), and level of assimilation (some are 100% American and some don't identify with this country at all). The whole "Hispanic" versus "Anglo" thing rings so hollow to me that I honestly had no idea that whole hoopla even existed until I was college-age. Deep down inside, I fear that it may be on its way to becoming an issue, but growing up in the 1990's (and before that) it most certainly wasn't. Quite frankly, it's an issue that is projected on Miami from Americans who aren't from South Florida, and regrettably, it seems that some Miamians (native AND new Latin American arrivals) are starting to buy into it.

To turn this back into an on-topic post (so please don't delete this, doggiebus, as this is relevant to the matter at hand): Doral is a mixture of assimilated and non-assimilated "Hispanics" and a substantial minority of non-Hispanics. It feels "foreign" because there are so many foreign nationals and you will hear much more Spanish than English, but on the other hand, it's a very American place in that it's heavily middle class, Christian (Catholic), and has a lot of families pursuing the dream of home ownership and raising their children in a safe place. Doral bears no resemblance to East LA, Spanish Harlem, or other very "Hispanic" areas with which many people in this country are familiar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 06:06 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,768,637 times
Thanks crisp - this is the type of info I'm looking for.

[Nooooooo!QUOTE=crisp444;12861467]No need to put a question mark after your first paragraph becuase when it comes to discussion of "Hispanics," you pretty much know what you're talking about. People are so quick to lump "Hispanics" together when the group is extremely diverse in terms of race, color, language (many "Hispanics" don't speak Spanish, some don't speak English, some speak both very well), time of arrival (100 years ago versus last week), and level of assimilation (some are 100% American and some don't identify with this country at all). The whole "Hispanic" versus "Anglo" thing rings so hollow to me that I honestly had no idea that whole hoopla even existed until I was college-age. Deep down inside, I fear that it may be on its way to becoming an issue, but growing up in the 1990's (and before that) it most certainly wasn't. Quite frankly, it's an issue that is projected on Miami from Americans who aren't from South Florida, and regrettably, it seems that some Miamians (native AND new Latin American arrivals) are starting to buy into it.

To turn this back into an on-topic post (so please don't delete this, doggiebus, as this is relevant to the matter at hand): Doral is a mixture of assimilated and non-assimilated "Hispanics" and a substantial minority of non-Hispanics. It feels "foreign" because there are so many foreign nationals and you will hear much more Spanish than English, but on the other hand, it's a very American place in that it's heavily middle class, Christian (Catholic), and has a lot of families pursuing the dream of home ownership and raising their children in a safe place. Doral bears no resemblance to East LA, Spanish Harlem, or other very "Hispanic" areas with which many people in this country are familiar.[/quote]

Old 02-12-2010, 07:43 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
No need to put a question mark after your first paragraph becuase when it comes to discussion of "Hispanics," you pretty much know what you're talking about. People are so quick to lump "Hispanics" together when the group is extremely diverse in terms of race, color, language (many "Hispanics" don't speak Spanish, some don't speak English, some speak both very well), time of arrival (100 years ago versus last week), and level of assimilation (some are 100% American and some don't identify with this country at all). The whole "Hispanic" versus "Anglo" thing rings so hollow to me that I honestly had no idea that whole hoopla even existed until I was college-age. Deep down inside, I fear that it may be on its way to becoming an issue, but growing up in the 1990's (and before that) it most certainly wasn't. Quite frankly, it's an issue that is projected on Miami from Americans who aren't from South Florida, and regrettably, it seems that some Miamians (native AND new Latin American arrivals) are starting to buy into it.

To turn this back into an on-topic post (so please don't delete this, doggiebus, as this is relevant to the matter at hand): Doral is a mixture of assimilated and non-assimilated "Hispanics" and a substantial minority of non-Hispanics. It feels "foreign" because there are so many foreign nationals and you will hear much more Spanish than English, but on the other hand, it's a very American place in that it's heavily middle class, Christian (Catholic), and has a lot of families pursuing the dream of home ownership and raising their children in a safe place. Doral bears no resemblance to East LA, Spanish Harlem, or other very "Hispanic" areas with which many people in this country are familiar.

Good post .... by the way I do not think anyone is confusing Doral with Spanish Harlem , The Bronx , East LA or even Hialeah for that matter .. it is a nice place .. very middle and upper middle class .. I simply think it could be difficult for a non Spanish speaker to be comfortable there ... it could be awkward and even annoying for some one just arriving from another city ( even in Florida ) if they are not accustomed to hearing "mucho" Spanish everywhere and on a daily basis . For whatever reason it has become a popular place for recent arrivals from Venezuela and Colombia .. albeit many of these arrivals are well to do and well edcuated .. they still speak Spanish 99% of the time and conduct business , drive and act like they are in latin America ... in short they have not had enough time to assimilate .. unlike long time second generation hispanic americans in areas like Coral Gables , Pine Crest or East Kendall .

* We have a neighbor up here in Parkland .. white non hispanic guy originally from Wisconsin ... he stayed at the Marriott Resort next to the Doral Country Club last year as he is a major golf fanatic .. was there three days with his wife and when he came back he told me how amazed he and his wife were at the amount of non english speaking hispanics in Doral .. he did not say they were rude .. but they simply could not communicate in english .. many employees at the resort and the nearby restaurants ... he never said Doral was not a nice area in fact he was very complementary on the aesthetics of the area ... he could not just get over the fact as to how much Spanish they heard and more so .. how many people could not speak a lick of english .. this from a guy only 55 miles away in Parkland !!

Old 02-12-2010, 09:42 AM

248 posts, read 616,311 times
Crisp

The term Hispanic (from ancient Hispania) is plain idiotic and racist.
Why don't they call Anglics (from ancient Anglia) to all people the that speak English, notwithstanding race and religion?
I guess that the thing that p.i.s.s.e.s Anglics the most is to find that there are Spanish speakers that are not illegal Mexicans mestizos, and then, the thing that really kicks them in the bungles is to know that many of them are richer than them.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Good post .... by the way I do not think anyone is confusing Doral with Spanish Harlem , The Bronx , East LA or even Hialeah for that matter .. it is a nice place .. very middle and upper middle class .. I simply think it could be difficult for a non Spanish speaker to be comfortable there ... it could be awkward and even annoying for some one just arriving from another city ( even in Florida ) if they are not accustomed to hearing "mucho" Spanish everywhere and on a daily basis . For whatever reason it has become a popular place for recent arrivals from Venezuela and Colombia .. albeit many of these arrivals are well to do and well edcuated .. they still speak Spanish 99% of the time and conduct business , drive and act like they are in latin America ... in short they have not had enough time to assimilate .. unlike long time second generation hispanic americans in areas like Coral Gables , Pine Crest or East Kendall .

* We have a neighbor up here in Parkland .. white non hispanic guy originally from Wisconsin ... he stayed at the Marriott Resort next to the Doral Country Club last year as he is a major golf fanatic .. was there three days with his wife and when he came back he told me how amazed he and his wife were at the amount of non english speaking hispanics in Doral .. he did not say they were rude .. but they simply could not communicate in english .. many employees at the resort and the nearby restaurants ... he never said Doral was not a nice area in fact he was very complementary on the aesthetics of the area ... he could not just get over the fact as to how much Spanish they heard and more so .. how many people could not speak a lick of english .. this from a guy only 55 miles away in Parkland !!
So basically, for someone like myself who does fine in that atmosphere because I can communicate in spanish, I could prosper. Only problem would be that my kids are not really bilingual - they understand most but barely speak spanish. At least I know it is an option. I'm not closing any doors, I just want options.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
So basically, for someone like myself who does fine in that atmosphere because I can communicate in spanish, I could prosper. Only problem would be that my kids are not really bilingual - they understand most but barely speak spanish. At least I know it is an option. I'm not closing any doors, I just want options.
Chelsa1075 ... no doubt you can do well anywhere as you seem like a sharp person .... but bear in mind we have many second generation hispanic american friends who are fluent in espanol and do not like Doral ... they are used to and have assimliated to the U.S and feel like Doral is simply a wealthy suburb of Caracas or Bogota ... and do not fit in . Why would you even look in Doral ... I would look 30 miles north in Weston ... which although not as Hispanic .. is still diverse and you feel like you are still in the U.S .. we loved Weston becuase it was approximately 55% white non hispanic , 40% hispanic and 5% other .. so it had a nice hispanic or latin flavor .. but it was not a monoculture like Doral . Again just my opinion ... I am sure Doggiebus who has lived down here all her life would agree with me ?

Old 02-12-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neng View Post
Crisp

The term Hispanic (from ancient Hispania) is plain idiotic and racist.
Why don't they call Anglics (from ancient Anglia) to all people the that speak English, notwithstanding race and religion?
I guess that the thing that p.i.s.s.e.s Anglics the most is to find that there are Spanish speakers that are not illegal Mexicans mestizos, and then, the thing that really kicks them in the bungles is to know that many of them are richer than them.

They call them "Anglos " .... you seem to be the only person .. that thinks the word "hispanic " is racist ... that is a new one . Most of my hispanic friends are fine with it .

Old 02-12-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Chelsa1075 ... no doubt you can do well anywhere as you seem like a sharp person .... but bear in mind we have many second generation hispanic american friends who are fluent in espanol and do not like Doral ... they are used to and have assimliated to the U.S and feel like Doral is simply a wealthy suburb of Caracas or Bogota ... and do not fit in . Why would you even look in Doral ... I would look 30 miles north in Weston ... which although not as Hispanic .. is still diverse and you feel like you are still in the U.S .. we loved Weston becuase it was approximately 55% white non hispanic , 40% hispanic and 5% other .. so it had a nice hispanic or latin flavor .. but it was not a monoculture like Doral . Again just my opinion ... I am sure Doggiebus who has lived down here all her life would agree with me ?
Thanks Rock - I'm just trying to keep options open - I had never even heard of Doral before this thread, but I really don't want to be an hour away from home and I'm hearing more and more that Weston, Cooper City, Pembroke Pines are just much too far. I just wanted an alternative. I am actually getting good feed back on the job front and a lot is actually coming out of Ft. Lauderdale so, all the research may be for naught. However, I want to be prepared - I am a little nervous about Doral - while I speak both languages, I'm very "American" - I'm Puerto Rican anyway, our cultures are different, at least my culture is very different from my husband's, who is Argentinean and I understand that there are boat loads of Argentines in Doral as well.

We shall see, I'll keep you guys posted, I will need all the GOOD advice I can get. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2010, 11:32 AM

796 posts, read 1,843,916 times
Quote:
This is very true...

Old 02-13-2010, 07:08 AM

21 posts, read 78,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtomia View Post
318:
Monterey, CA is wonderful! It is a large enough city to have everything you need (or want) while still maintaining a small town feel. You are close enough to San Francisco < 2hrs. that if you need to experience a large metropolitan area, you can take a quick trip and return. BTW, San Francisco is probably my favorite large city in the U.S. Carmel and Pebble Beach are less than 10 minutes away and you can only imagine how beautiful they both are.

For someone with an active lifestyle, Monterey is your place. I am a runner and you can run outside year round. I know you can in Miami as well but here you don't have to schedule your runs around the weather. People around here seem to work to live rather than the other way around. Running, golfing, biking, sailing, and diving are all popular sports here. The parks and recreation depts do a great job of preserving the natural beauty of the area.

It is a very affluent area but people here are just different than what I have encountered in Miami. That's not to say that people here don't enjoy the finer things because they certainly do. It is just that there appears to be more substance and less emphasis on material things. I guess what I am saying is that if you see someone driving a luxury car, you know that they can probably afford it rather than using half their pay check to make payments.

As far as the job market, there isn't that much industry here. One of the major industries here is the military. The Defense Language Institute and the Naval Postgraduate School are both here so a lot of professionals in the area will work there. The major university here is California State at Monterey Bay. There is also the International Institute of Monterey. I have also heard of people commuting to Salinas to work (10-15 miles away with no traffic).

I am not sure if you have school age children but the only downside to living in Monterey is the school system. Really that is all of California. There are a few charter schools here but other than that, private school is the way to go.

Monterey county produces some of the best wine in California. In fact, I heard someone say that many of the wineries in Napa import some of their grapes from Monterey County. Napa and Sonoma are about 2.5 hours away and another important wine region, Paso Robles is about 1.5 hours.

Hope this helps!
Very helpful, thank you! We don't have any children, not yet. We have two dogs, and they are our babies : )

As two college-educated, vegetarian transplanted New Yorkers, my wife and I are both relatively unhappy in Miami. The weather is nice in the winter, but excruciatingly hot in the winter.

We are looking into Northern California, because I remember the saying: if you are smart and ambitious, you move to NY. If you are ambitious but not smart, you move to LA. If you are smart and not ambitious, you move to San Francisco!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami