Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 8,852 times

Advertisements

I will be living right where Little havana and West Flagler meet, just about 13 blocks south of the airport. I'm white, do not look hispanic at all, but speak very fluent spanih, Theres not much I cant say or understand anymore. Will people generally ignore me in little havana since they are just going to assume I dont know Spanish, or if I go out of my way to speak Spanish will that help and even make them give me more credibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 01:00 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdersch View Post
I will be living right where Little havana and West Flagler meet, just about 13 blocks south of the airport. I'm white, do not look hispanic at all, but speak very fluent spanih, Theres not much I cant say or understand anymore. Will people generally ignore me in little havana since they are just going to assume I dont know Spanish, or if I go out of my way to speak Spanish will that help and even make them give me more credibility?
I would speak English to anybody that is under 40 and Spanish to the older people, unless of course they don't speak English at all, but many of the younger people will.

About being ignored, they ignore everybody regardless of race, ethnicity or Spanish fluency.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:24 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
I would speak English to everyone unless they didn't understand English. Now, if they started talking about you in Spanish, I would certainly let them know I understood. Think of some zippy one liners en espanol.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:23 PM

683 posts, read 1,469,053 times
If you look like brad pitt (blonde and welsh blooded) they'll assume you dont know spanish.

now,if you look like al pacino, Adam sandler, colín farrell, Eric bana, they will assume you are an average white "hispanic" who knows spanish.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:47 AM

2 posts, read 8,852 times
ha ha..I definitely have more of a Brad Pitt look, in fact ive been compared to him more than once. ( though Im half his age) I do ned to find some zippy cuban expressions though as you said...any suggestions? maybe : Que? nunca has conocido un gringo que habla tu propia idioma? said in a nice way

Old 04-28-2010, 08:48 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I would speak English to anybody that is under 40 and Spanish to the older people, unless of course they don't speak English at all, but many of the younger people will.

About being ignored, they ignore everybody regardless of race, ethnicity or Spanish fluency.
Why oh why City Data won't you let me give Princess points for this??? You claim I have to spread them around and I have!!

This post is so accurate. Print it out and read it like a mantra everyday. You will save yourself heart ache and confusion as to why you are being "ignored".

Basically, a Caucasion person living in Little Havana is no big deal. If you speak Spanish you will be in the know and will be able to participate and understand what is going on. You will be able to involve yourself in what you sedire and ignore what you dislike.

You will probably get a lot of people answering you in English when you speak Spanish and Spanish when you speak English, be prepared for that. Also, the Spanglish from this area is almost like another language so your "proper", school Spanish will not necessarily be what people here speak or understand. It will be a learning experience for sure and you will have some awesome, cheap restaurants to choose from nearby if you like Cuban food...

Oh PS, you will be under the MIA flight track. Buy ear plugs.

One liners? I would sayyou will fit in with Qué "vueta"!! Qúe bolá!! but I think the timeless Buenos Días/Tardes or whatever will serve you much better since you would be making the first move and putting it out there that you speak Spanish.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:40 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
One liners? I would sayyou will fit in with Qué "vueta"!! Qúe bolá!! but I think the timeless Buenos Días/Tardes or whatever will serve you much better since you would be making the first move and putting it out there that you speak Spanish.
I think he is better off saying "buenos dias" good morning. But he will definitely hear those words especially within young people in very informal settings. I would say it's like saying "what's crackin" or "what's poppin" Yes it is THAT informal. Like other nationalities, Cubans have a lot of slang words. I'm familiar with most of them but I would say you would learn them with time.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:35 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I'm a white guy too, I go in streaks.. sometimes I'll start a conversation in English unless someone responds in really bad English or says they can't speak it and other times I don't bother and I just start my conversations in Spanish. Honestly, its more normal to find someone that doesnt speak English lol.

Basically you'll get brownie points for speaking spanish at first, then they wont care and itll be just an everyday conversation.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:10 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
Yo .You need to speak english..The others need to learn english..

Old 04-30-2010, 06:13 AM

796 posts, read 1,843,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I think he is better off saying "buenos dias" good morning. But he will definitely hear those words especially within young people in very informal settings. I would say it's like saying "what's crackin" or "what's poppin" Yes it is THAT informal. Like other nationalities, Cubans have a lot of slang words. I'm familiar with most of them but I would say you would learn them with time.
agree...a "buenos dias/tardes/noches" will work in your favor. You'd be surprised at the reaction that people will have to your speaking Spanish. I had a friend who was just like you...moved to Little Havana from Vermont, a true "gringo"...and spoke better Spanish that most native speakers. He loved living in Little Havana..he was really into the Hispanic culture...and especially loved the ladies...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: