Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:38 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times

Advertisements

I love how some people bash on Miami for being superficial then turn on their TVs to watch shows like "housewives of Orange County/New Jersey/New York/Atlanta" or any of the superficial ego driven reality shows that has captured the American viewing public for a decade now!
Miami is what it is and if it bothers you so much you can always move to greener albiet boring pastures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 10:16 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,213,569 times
I think Orlando might be some strong competition for that "title". Really, some of the biggest Dbags ever live here.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:23 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,484 times
Miami is full of BS, nothing new... most are dirty poor driving beamers and Mercedes, wearing BCBG, Gucci sunglasses and carrying Louis Vuitton bags, living in a small room at Opa Locka, Hialeah or even Overtown eating 1 meal a day... I'm not exagerating, make a trip to those neignorhhods and you'll send plenty of expensive cars parked on dumps. These type of people are plain stupid, full of BS and superficial of course. I prefer to live in a decent neigborhood, drive a 90's car and wear clearance and imitation

Old 07-23-2010, 01:20 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,188,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
-----

Yes, Miami is below the Bible Belt...
A lot of sinners...
They are superficial, they don't know a crock about Bible studies..
Them Papists, you now...
I'm so glad South Florida isn't in the Bible Belt. Thats the last thing Miami needs is some rednecks walking around with "God Hates ****" signs. Miami and SoFla in general is a very "be yourself" type of area, thats why I like it. Try being yourself in somewhere like Mississippi.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:24 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,188,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Miami is full of BS, nothing new... most are dirty poor driving beamers and Mercedes, wearing BCBG, Gucci sunglasses and carrying Louis Vuitton bags, living in a small room at Opa Locka, Hialeah or even Overtown eating 1 meal a day... I'm not exagerating, make a trip to those neignorhhods and you'll send plenty of expensive cars parked on dumps. These type of people are plain stupid, full of BS and superficial of course. I prefer to live in a decent neigborhood, drive a 90's car and wear clearance and imitation
You basically proved my point. I was saying earlier that the things people in Miami complain about happen EVERYWHERE. I used to know this chick living in the projects in Brooklyn, she was on welfare but always had the newest bags, heels, clothes, etc. You realize that this stuff happens outside of Miami as well right? It's not like every other city is doing SO MUCH BETTER than Miami.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:58 PM

44 posts, read 130,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie_77 View Post
Superficial, materialistic, self-serving, rude, uncaring douchebags plus fun that revolves around drugs, alcohol and sex = Douchebag Capital of the World.

Discuss.

nothing to add. Spot on.. I have been living here for 17 years.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:08 PM

242 posts, read 315,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ositosucio View Post
nothing to add. Spot on.. I have been living here for 17 years.
Pretty much sums up 95% of the population of Miami-Dade LOL.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:44 PM

787 posts, read 1,943,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
Pretty much sums up 95% of the population of Miami-Dade LOL.

That seems like a rather unfair generalization.

I have lived in LA, NYC, and Washington, D.C. All three cities have their fair share of materialism and a concern for power, prestige, etc. Yet, I would definitley NOT say that the stereotype characterizes 95% of the population.

Don't think you can say the SAME for Miami-Dade County. Never lived in Miami but have visited enough (business and pleasure) to say that your comment is STRETCHING the truth big time.

Plenty of hard working "normal" middle class people in Miami just wanting the basics in life: health, happiness, and a good connection with friends and family.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:57 PM

242 posts, read 315,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
That seems like a rather unfair generalization.

I have lived in LA, NYC, and Washington, D.C. All three cities have their fair share of materialism and a concern for power, prestige, etc. Yet, I would definitley NOT say that the stereotype characterizes 95% of the population.

Don't think you can say the SAME for Miami-Dade County. Never lived in Miami but have visited enough (business and pleasure) to say that your comment is STRETCHING the truth big time.

Plenty of hard working "normal" middle class people in Miami just wanting the basics in life: health, happiness, and a good connection with friends and family.
My post wasn't meant as an outright criticism, but more of an observation. People in Miami (good or bad) are generally very image-oriented, especially women. I'm not knocking it completely....it's good to look good and feel confident, but I feel that it's too extreme for my tastes, especially when dealing with 30 or 40 spmethings who still act like and dress like they're in their early 20's. Another factor is the credit card debt % versus annual income - Miami is #1 in the USA for that. You can read a lot into that statistic alone, i.e. that people generally live above their means to "impress". Again, just observations - not bashing.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:31 PM

787 posts, read 1,943,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
My post wasn't meant as an outright criticism, but more of an observation. People in Miami (good or bad) are generally very image-oriented, especially women. I'm not knocking it completely....it's good to look good and feel confident, but I feel that it's too extreme for my tastes, especially when dealing with 30 or 40 spmethings who still act like and dress like they're in their early 20's. Another factor is the credit card debt % versus annual income - Miami is #1 in the USA for that. You can read a lot into that statistic alone, i.e. that people generally live above their means to "impress". Again, just observations - not bashing.
I said nothing about you bashing Miami. I merely stated I thought your statement saying 95% of the pop. was this way was a bit extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami