Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:03 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times

Advertisements

The slickest thing I ever saw was a snow blower that has a frame , its own engine . You just drive over the frame and hook up to your real hitch ball on your truck, suv or any vehicle that can have a rear hitch mounted. There is no weight on the front of your vehicle as its transfered to the rear via the frame. Also the blower assembly has small wheels that touch the ground. These units are sold locally by our ATV shops , and cost about 5,000. Seems like the beter altertanative to plowing with just about anything, and you can put the snow where ever you want it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 11:08 AM

809 posts, read 1,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38...2-05-06/10.jpg

Well I guess I might as well post mine. I designed and built it in 2005 and still use it every winter. The pushing force goes straight to the subframe, the bumper brackets only hold the blade up when lifted. Power up and down from inside the car. Definitely beats shoveling or snowblowing and has easily paid for itself over hiring it done, plus I can do it on my own time and move the other cars so I do a finished job. The car was always a workhorse and a monster in the snow. I drove it for 9 years and put on 200k miles so the car doesn't owe me anything either, so it works well for a personal plow vehicle.
That's a better plow rig than I saw that day. Your's looks like it has a serious purpose to it, at least. The one I saw was made from pipe and fittings from the plumbing section of Home Depot.

Hey, if it works

Old 10-25-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The slickest thing I ever saw was a snow blower that has a frame , its own engine . You just drive over the frame and hook up to your real hitch ball on your truck, suv or any vehicle that can have a rear hitch mounted. There is no weight on the front of your vehicle as its transfered to the rear via the frame. Also the blower assembly has small wheels that touch the ground. These units are sold locally by our ATV shops , and cost about 5,000. Seems like the beter altertanative to plowing with just about anything, and you can put the snow where ever you want it!
Now, THIS is a snowblower:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExNc1...eature=related

Old 10-25-2010, 12:45 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
I've seen those. But on the back would mean the possibility of getting stuck. A front attachment eliminates that.
I've seen City/County trucks with snow blowers on the front in place of the plow.

BTW
It use to be( in the 60's) that all vehicles in Mi, were required to be equiped with snow tires for the winter. Is that still Mandatory?

Old 10-25-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I've seen those. But on the back would mean the possibility of getting stuck. A front attachment eliminates that.
I've seen City/County trucks with snow blowers on the front in place of the plow.

BTW
It use to be( in the 60's) that all vehicles in Mi, were required to be equiped with snow tires for the winter. Is that still Mandatory?
No, the only law on tires that I'm aware of is the regulation against studded tires....and for good reason.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post

BTW
No , the blower IS on the front., only the hook-up on your ball hitch. That transfers the weight evenly over your vehicle, and allows you to not have a fancy front loaded assembly to hold the blower and gas motor. Works with a car, or an ATV as well as a P/U truck.
When " all season" tires came about as well as radials , Michigan changed the tire requirements.... Up here in the U.P. many folks use winter tires, and change them out for summer driving. The rubber is softer and they wear out quicker on dry roadways. great on Ice and snow , I would not go a winter without them. I like Coopers ( discovery) , but Nokias, bridgestone, and now Michlean makes them. I put a set of Nokias on my 4 x 4 tractor last winter , best of all the winter tires, made in Finland. Set me back 5,000 , so it WAS an investment for sure.!

Old 10-25-2010, 01:42 PM

749 posts, read 2,772,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
No, the only law on tires that I'm aware of is the regulation against studded tires....and for good reason.

chains are also against the law...no?

Old 10-25-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
Studded tires are still legal here in the U.P. The problem is , you can't use them on dry pavement. Folks who do not ever go on the paved roads still use them. Many of the " winter tires" have the holes for the studs , its a pain to put them in , just for a few winter days. Winter tires are required in Canada, law went into effect a couple of years ago in Ontario and PQ., caused a short time shortage for the rest of us down here in the northern tier states.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
chains are also against the law...no?
Chain laws are the same as for studded tires , only , they are much easer to remove.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Studded tires are still legal here in the U.P. The problem is , you can't use them on dry pavement. Folks who do not ever go on the paved roads still use them. Many of the " winter tires" have the holes for the studs , its a pain to put them in , just for a few winter days. Winter tires are required in Canada, law went into effect a couple of years ago in Ontario and PQ., caused a short time shortage for the rest of us down here in the northern tier states.
I didnt know that....but then, it's the UP.

The new Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs (33's) I just put on the jeep has holes for studs.

Back in the day where studded tires were still floating around junkyards I put a set on my car when it was icy but it didnt take long before a cop heard it and pulled me over. I still recall the ticket being 35.00 back in '75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan