Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 07:35 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,276,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Don't listen to this guy. He lives in Oakland County downstate. He's obviously never lived through a 6 month winter in northern Michigan.....especially on the windy side of one of the Great Lakes.

I was one of the biggest skeptics in correlation with S.A.D. before I moved up here, but after 2 brutal winters I now know that it's real. I love my seasons as much as the next guy, but nonstop snow, ice, wind and cold, combined with minimal sunlight for SIX MONTHS STRAIGHT definitely.....DEFINITELY has an effect on the psyche. I don't know exactly what Mr. Gatti means when he refers to the people that "sit around and mope" all winter, of which I am certainly not one, but I've been up here for 2 years now and have heard the most active and content citizens of this area - many whom are natives - lament the effects of S.A.D. on multiple occassions. I don't "sit around and mope" or "cry" during the winter......I actually keep myself pretty busy with a variety of activities, but still.....come about mid February......I start to go a little crazy. I combated it this past winter by taking trips down south and out west, and plan to do the same thing next year. This is a gorgeous area, and I love having real winters again after living in the southern U.S. for many years, but for one individual to speak for everyone by saying that S.A.D. is something that "mopers and criers" made up is high on the list of most ridiculous opinions I've seen in this forum.
Yes I live downstate now, but did live up north when I was younger. Lived in Rapid City, worked in TC and Kalkaska both. I still think SAD is a bunch of crap to a degree. Because winter gets old and drags on they there has to be a name why people are bummed out? Yes winter is long and it get depressing. But to have a disease because people are not happy and skippy all year round. That's just life get used to it. It's not always happy and some things suck. Deal with it. I was just reading because I was curious and now they have a depression for summer too. It's reverse seasonal depression. OMG When are people just going to realize nobody is happy all the time and deal with it?
I'm sure to a degree SAD exists. But I'd be willing to bet it truly exists in people with a pre existing condition or someone who is more prone to depression. My point I guess is this. Some people truly suffer from it and there are other reasons beyond the weather. But I'd guess 99% of the people who suffer from it is because they watched some stupid report on the news saying, " hey if it's winter and your bummed out, you might have S.A.D. Here are the symptoms. check check check check check, HOLY***** I have S.A.D!!!! What am I going to do? The they come to work. " Hey Sarah why so down?" ( sarah) " I suffer from S.A.D". "Wow that sucks since when? I've worked with you for 12 years and never seen you down like this" ( sarah) I know I know it's the weirdest thing. I woke up feeling kind of down today and watched the news, they did a report on a disease called S.A.D and I have all the symptoms."
This is what makes me so skeptical. I've known so many idiots who are just feeling down, claim they have S.A.D and the next day they are back to normal happy go lucky. I don't care for easily self diagnosed illnesses, and SAD is one of those illnesses that everyone seems to claim to have because winter is long and the sun has not been out in a month. Oh man it's SAD. Oh man my azz.
Oh and Northman, it almost sounds like your one of those people. You moved up there 2 years ago. Have experienced two more normal winters up there, and because your not used to a little extra winter you think your experiencing SAD? Did you feel thoughts of suicide? Did you call in sick and stay home from work for days at a time? Did you gain weight, oversleep and have no energy for weeks and months at a time? If not then no you did not experience the symptoms of S.A.D. You just got sick of winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 04:26 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
Oh and Northman, it almost sounds like your one of those people. You moved up there 2 years ago. Have experienced two more normal winters up there, and because your not used to a little extra winter you think your experiencing SAD? Did you feel thoughts of suicide? Did you call in sick and stay home from work for days at a time? Did you gain weight, oversleep and have no energy for weeks and months at a time? If not then no you did not experience the symptoms of S.A.D. You just got sick of winter.
Ha ha ha....you are hilarious, dude! You've got it all figured out!

All hail King Gatti.....able to look deep into the souls of mankind and favor us with his majestic interpretation! LONG LIVE THE KING!!

Old 07-31-2009, 04:27 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Summer must be getting to you as well.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Ha ha ha....you are hilarious, dude! You've got it all figured out!

All hail King Gatti.....able to look deep into the souls of mankind and favor us with his majestic interpretation! LONG LIVE THE KING!!
Nope not the slightest. I did a little reading about the symptoms of it. I never made any claim to be a know it all, just relaying facts I read about the condition you said you know all about first hand because you lived up north for 2 years. I also dated a shrink for a very long time and have heard stories first hand about how many people come in thinking they have something that's making a splash on the news. Does this make me an expert? Nope not by any means. But when someone makes the claim to know first hand about something I just had to ask if these were the symptoms you had when you experienced it first hand.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:03 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
Nope not the slightest. I did a little reading about the symptoms of it. I never made any claim to be a know it all, just relaying facts I read about the condition you said you know all about first hand because you lived up north for 2 years. I also dated a shrink for a very long time and have heard stories first hand about how many people come in thinking they have something that's making a splash on the news. Does this make me an expert? Nope not by any means. But when someone makes the claim to know first hand about something I just had to ask if these were the symptoms you had when you experienced it first hand.
I apologize, you're absolutely right. Shouldn't have questioned you in the first place.

In unrelated news, I read an article on kitty litter today and have therefore decided to perform a heart transplant on my cat in the morning.

Good God......

Old 07-31-2009, 07:53 PM

I had myself a pretty witty and insulting response for you. But then I decided I don't need to lower myself to your level. If you think your ridiculous response is in any way shape or form comparable to my reading about a condition you claimed to experience.....well your response speak wonders and much more than anything I could add to your response about kitty litter.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:59 AM

749 posts, read 2,772,321 times
nice weather we're having eh?

Old 08-01-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
nice weather we're having eh?
As a matter of fact it is,Michigansnowflake. LOL Indeed it is. LOL

Old 06-21-2011, 11:25 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,551,284 times
I decided to resurrect this thread...

I know its over 3 years old but has the weather changed much since then. When does it get cold....when will the first snow fall....just curious.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:33 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
Quote:
I decided to resurrect this thread...

I know its over 3 years old but has the weather changed much since then. When does it get cold....when will the first snow fall....just curious.
The weather hasn't really "changed" in the last 3 years. We have average temps for every season, and our temps usually somewhere near those averages every year, give or take a few degrees. We have the same Humid Continental climate that we have always had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan