Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 7,867 times

Advertisements

I am moving to NYC to Lansing to take up a job at MSU. I have looked at several lofts and developments online like MW Lofts, The Stadium District, and trying to weigh to buy or rent. What are people saying about the above two property? Sounds like a 5-10year plan is best if one wants to buy? Can anyone say something about the market? Are downtown lofts ok to buy or rent?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 07:26 AM

3 posts, read 18,300 times
honestly i wouldn't rent downtown. treat it like the plague. high crime, crackheads, prostitutes, potholes galore. run down houses everywhere you look. lansing is not appealing whatsoever. If i were you id think about living in east lansing around campus, or if you dont mind a little drive live in one of the surrounding suburbs such as haslett (close to EL), grand ledge, charlotte, st. johns.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:15 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaercules View Post
I am moving to NYC to Lansing to take up a job at MSU. I have looked at several lofts and developments online like MW Lofts, The Stadium District, and trying to weigh to buy or rent. What are people saying about the above two property? Sounds like a 5-10year plan is best if one wants to buy? Can anyone say something about the market? Are downtown lofts ok to buy or rent?

Thanks!
I don't know too much about lofts in downtown Lansing, but I've seen some of them being built, and a lot of them look nice. From what I've heard, downtown Lansing is bit quiet (almost boring) when it's not M-F 9-5. Obviously if you're interested in Lansing you need to make sure it's a decent area, but they do exist, and I think the places where the new lofts are going up are generally decent.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:11 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,268 times
Check this site out:
The Stadium District

Lansing downtown is getting a makeover and more appealing

Old 03-17-2008, 02:59 AM

3 posts, read 18,300 times
i work right across from the stadium district. crappy area. high crime. lots of noise and bars. no privacy. You cant polish a turd, thats all they're doing to downtown lansing.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:11 PM

7 posts, read 27,389 times
FIL lives in Diamondale, a suburb of East Lansing. That is a nice area, but I would stick to East Lansing and avoid Lansing itself. You will be closer to MSU anyway that way.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 15,562 times
Default Downtown Lansing is Great!

The person who wrote about crime and prostitution in downtown Lansing clearly hasn't been downtown in several years. It used to be that way, but in the mid-90s a major cleanup project was undertaken and was widely successful. I've lived in downtown Lansing. These are not issues that I see in my daily life. Old Town is a wonderful area nowadays, having under gone a resurrection. Downtown Lansing's main detraction point is that after 6pm it is nearly abandoned. I have spent countless hours as a single female walking the streets of downtown alone after dark, and haven't had any issues whatsoever. I feel safe there.

The MotorWheel Lofts are fabulous, though there is not much in walking distance. Whereas the Stadium area has a bit more to offer in the neighborhood. I would reccomend renting for a year or two, then buying. The Michigan market is still in decline; while this does allow for great bargains in housing prices, it also means that there are areas still depreciating in value. I would hold off purchasing until you are more familiar with the area and have a chance to evaluate where you really want to be, as selling a home that you might decide isn't right for you is going to be challengging for at least the next five years. I'd say rent at MotorWheel for now, then make a purchasing decission after you get to know Lansing more.

Lansing is a great town with a lot to offer. I wish you the best in your relocation!

Old 03-23-2008, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 15,562 times
BTW- MSU is all of 5-15 minutes from downtown Lansing depending on traffic and your area of campus. Marching from campus to the capitol building is a common protest practice, and isn't very strenuos on foot, let alone driving. Suburbanites are just wildly loyal to their suburbs and commutes.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 7,466 times
Default Do not live in MW Lofts

Absolutely, do not live in MW lofts by any means. They are horrendous people..the lofts are great sure, but the owner has cussed me, my roommate, and my friends out several times for ridiculous things. I just received my security deposit back from them today which is $300 short and now I have to show my face in their office Monday morning to dispute it. They make up things on their lease agreement as they go along, rules that are clearly not stated. Never fixed anything. NO PARKING! and my roommate and I's cars were hit several times. The owner is a complete prick and the police station hates him as well. DO NOT LIVE HERE. This is just a brief sample of the crap we went through, I could go on forever.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:54 PM

79 posts, read 418,399 times
I think that the Stadium District would be a great place for you to rent while you get familiar with the area. It is close enough to walk to bars, restaurants, and coffee shops and about as urban as Lansing gets. It is quiet here after hours no matter where you are though. I live here in the Westside Neighborhood, less than a mile from Downtown, and contrary to previous comments have yet to see a single prostitute or drug dealer. Personally, I think the suburbs are perfectly boring...wonderful for those who like a completely homogenous lifestyle and spending a lot of time in their cars. I guess it just depends on what lifestyle you are looking for. I love being close enough to ride my bike Downtown for concerts and festivals, the library, rivertrail, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan