Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:03 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laruefamily_cjjh View Post
what is a hoosier? and it is kinda odd for people to say coke and really want a dr pepper or something else... and i will get a kick out of hearing you guys, even though it is proper.... and i am starting to try to say shopping cart instead of buggy and it is hard lol, it sounds so different to me
You've never heard of a Hoosier? I always thought everybody knew what that was. A Hoosier is someone from Indiana, the Hoosier state. Do you know what a Sooner is? Its someone from Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
We say pop, not coke. "Coke" meaning pop is strictly a southern and hoosier thing. You won't hear a Mountain Dew called a "coke" here (Indiana is a different story).
I'm from Indiana (Indianapolis) and dont know what you are talking about. Usually we Hoosiers say PEPSI if we dont say POP. And I HATE Mountain Dew.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
This is Michigan, not New Jersey. We say "you guys" a lot, but not "yous guys."
Excuse me but YOUS GUYS is common and I've heard it said most often in northern MI.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:14 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
One thing I had never heard until I came to Michigan was the substitution of okay with the phrase all righty then. My G/F's mom will use it alot.

example- me: I'm going up to the party store to get some pop.
her: all righty then
Isn't that from Ace Ventura? Jim Carrey? That's what I always thought.

There are also different dialects for Northern Michigan and Southern Michigan (it's a HUGE state).

If you don't know what to say when ordering a soft drink, just play it safe and order a beer.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:17 PM

428 posts, read 800,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Isn't that from Ace Ventura? Jim Carrey? That's what I always thought.

There are also different dialects for Northern Michigan and Southern Michigan (it's a HUGE state).

If you don't know what to say when ordering a soft drink, just play it safe and order a beer.
LOL...good advice!

Old 05-25-2009, 09:44 PM

43 posts, read 99,398 times
lol ... yes we say buggy.... we shorten everything and have slang for just about everything.... but yes, when you go to walmart a question you may ask the person you go with is "Do we need a buggy?" meaning do we need a shopping cart.....

this conversation is getting fun lol

Old 05-25-2009, 09:59 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
If you can somehow turn the cold snowy months into something positive, you will be fine. That is...you have to take what comes, try to enjoy it as much as possible, and remember, when spring hits it will be worth the wait. If you just say..thats it, the cold weather sucks...you will be doomed. I find I love every month but maybe March and April when its mostly just cold, dreary and muddy. If you can find things to do so you dont go crazy waiting spring to come during the last few months, I think you'll be ok. When spring, summer and fall hit, get out and see the beauty this state offers. There are very few states that have the amazing beaches, forests, lakes and rivers like we do. If you ask me I would rather have a few months of cold, snowy weather to worry about instead of tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, forest fires, earthquakes and all that good stuff. You just have to get out and enjoy it! Good luck!!

Last edited by michmoldman; 05-25-2009 at 10:14 PM..

Old 05-25-2009, 10:00 PM

806 posts, read 2,960,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laruefamily_cjjh View Post
that is what makes me the most upset about where i live now, it is all about who you are or who you know.... i am sure that is anywhere but being born in a place where you arent rich and rich matters a lot is not somewhere i want to stay.... i want my kids to have the same opportunities as others especially if i am willing to pay for it...
I never knew that Simsboro, being the size of my backyard, had such high society! I guess I'll have to invest in a brand new spa, catering, and maid service!

I could see a case for nearby Ruston, however.. but only a small area and maybe Squire Creek. Monroe, sure.

Edit: Michigan isn't a bad state at all.. One of my top 10.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:08 PM

428 posts, read 800,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
If you can somehow turn the cold snowy months into something positive, you will be fine. That is...you have to take what comes, try to enjoy it as much as possible, and remember when spring hits it will be worth the wait. If you just say..thats it, the cold weather sucks...you will be doomed. I find I love every month but maybe March and April when its mostly just cold, dreary and muddy. If you can find things to do so you dont go crazy waiting spring to come during the last few months, I think you'll be ok. When spring, summer and fall hit, get out and see the beauty this state offers!!
This is good advice. I totally agree about March and April though...I was practically stamping my feet in frustration this year waiting for the trees to leaf out!

As a reminder, I'm from a warm climate too, and I love it here. Every one is different, but as this poster said, it's all about keeping busy and positive.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:09 PM

43 posts, read 99,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I never knew that Simsboro, being the size of my backyard, had such high society! I guess I'll have to invest in a brand new spa, catering, and maid service!

I could see a case for nearby Ruston, however.. but only a small area and maybe Squire Creek. Monroe, sure.

Edit: Michigan isn't a bad state at all.. One of my top 10.

i wasnt saying simsboro, i was saying ruston, and sure if you want to get a new spa and catering and if you get a maid service send them this way lol.... wait i am getting the heck outta here.... just living in the same place all your life isnt something anyone should have to do and this is the first chance i have to move, being one of the poor people here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan