Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 03:45 PM

43 posts, read 99,343 times

Advertisements

ok, my husband and i are looking to relocate to portage, mi. which everything i have read about it or researched on the place seems great. my husband has lived in michigan before and graduated from hartland high school, but i have never been north at all. i am really nervous about things. so i figured i would write this to get some feedback on different things. will my accent really be that bad up there lol... what words are different besides saying soda instead of coke.... how much do i really shorten the things i say, like ya'll and how many looks will i get lol.... and the snow, i have never seen snow, i mean down here it last for one day if we get any at all... holy cow i am nervous but excited in a way too. thanks in advance for any replies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 04:34 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,081,493 times
I lived in Brighton which is about eight miles south of Hartland.

Portage is a neat 'lil town, I think you'll like it. Lots of lakes and woods to have fun.

Not too far from Ann Arbor which could be a good thing...

You'll experience cold that will chill your bones, but the summers there are incredible. Autumn is spectacular in your new neck of the woods, but you're gonna have to get used to driving in the winter weather. Slow down, maintain a safe following distance, and keep your vehicle in tip top shape.

MI folks say "pop", not soda or "Coke".

Save your bottles and cans, as MI has a .10 deposit on those. You'll get used to it.

You'll be fine with that "accent" of yours.

Just add "eh" to every sentence; they'll think you're from the U.P.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:30 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,732 times
For starters, Michganders lack proper English grammar. They often end sentances with prepositions. For example, "Can I come with?" is common, rather than the correct Can I come with YOU. Secondly, they often pronounce some words as they literally look. For example, the word Campbell (for a proper name) is pronounced CAMP BELL and the town of Gaylord is pronounced GAY LORD, and the town of Charlotte is pronounced in CHAR LOT. Thirdly, they say I SEEN rather than I HAVE SEEN or I SAW. I'm sure you will find them not to be the sharpest tacks in the box, but they are friendly. Portage is suburb of K'zoo and I very nice town for being in MI.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:40 PM

lol, ok, so even if they think the way i talk is weird, i guess i will think the way they speak is just as weird to me... i am excited, snow will be so different, winter there will actually be winter.... when does it start to get cold? and when does the snow start? and end?...

Old 05-24-2009, 06:12 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laruefamily_cjjh View Post
ok, my husband and i are looking to relocate to portage, mi. which everything i have read about it or researched on the place seems great. my husband has lived in michigan before and graduated from hartland high school, but i have never been north at all. i am really nervous about things. so i figured i would write this to get some feedback on different things. will my accent really be that bad up there lol... what words are different besides saying soda instead of coke.... how much do i really shorten the things i say, like ya'll and how many looks will i get lol.... and the snow, i have never seen snow, i mean down here it last for one day if we get any at all... holy cow i am nervous but excited in a way too. thanks in advance for any replies...
Portage is a great town to live in, I used to live just up the road from there in Kalamazoo.

As for the culture shock, I'm not going to lie, it will be a huge adjustment. Your accent will stick out like a sore thumb, and it will be obvious that you're not from around here. It won't bother people, most will think it's interesting and it will serve as a great conversation starter. We don't say "soda" or "coke" here, it's pop. Also, shopping carts are just that, shopping carts, not "buggies." You won't hear "y'all here," "you all" or "you guys" is what most Michiganders say. You'll get used to the different terms after a while.

As for the snow, your first winter will be rough. Michigan is COLD compared to the deep south, and Portage is right in the lake effect snow belt. Make sure to try out snow driving on uncrowded residential streets before hitting the expressway. I-94 is a nightmare in the snow. Pump your brakes if you don't have ABS, if you do, then HOLD the brakes until the car stops. Take turns slow and drive slow until you feel more comfortable with snow driving. You will see some people driving at full speed in a blizzard, they will probably be stuck in a ditch very soon. Stay out of their way.

If you have anymore questions, just ask. Welcome to Michigan!

Old 05-24-2009, 06:18 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Quote:
. when does it start to get cold? and when does the snow start? and end?...
This varies. I've seen it snow in May, and I've seen 60 degrees in January. One thing to remember about Michigan weather is that it changes RAPIDLY, especially in the spring and fall. It can be 60 degrees one moment, a cold front can blow through, and it can be below zero within a few hours. It can also warm up significantly in a hurry.

When does it start to get cold? By Louisiana standards, it never stops getting cold. Our average July low is 57 degrees, which I'm sure you would find cold. Real cold doesn't start until October, and is usually over by April. On average, the first accumulating snow falls in late October and the last accumulating snow falls in mid April.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:26 PM

ok so "pop" for cokes.... and shopping carts not buggies, and i say buggy all the time, that one is going to catch me...

i asked my hubby if i needed a snow suit and he laughed

i think i am most amazed by the snow thing....

Old 05-24-2009, 06:54 PM

428 posts, read 800,171 times
Quote:
I know nothing about Portage, but I myself moved to Michigan 3 years ago from California. Michigan has been hard but we absolutely love it here. The accent is a bit different from what we were used to but I would venture to guess your southern accent will stand out a bit more. From what I know now, though, you may get some comments about it but mostly people will find it charming.

SNOW!!! That was the biggest deal for us, and probably will be for you too. As the previous poster said, you have to learn to SLOW DOWN. That's the biggest thing. Also, make sure that you have good tires, remember to PUMP YOUR BRAKES (not slam), and have plenty of de-icing windshield fluid and a good ice-scraper. A remote starter isn't a bad idea either.

However, we learned to actually love it. I will say that after a couple of years (or maybe sooner), you grow to hate March and April...still cold, can still snow...and you are wanting spring to SPRING! But besides that, we love the 4 seasons that you get here and the cool summers. I have lived in California, Texas and Oklahoma, and let me tell you...Michigan summers and falls make it worthwhile to live here! I hate to be hot!

Also, remember that you will be in southern Michigan, so you won't be dealing with near as much snow as the rest of the state. But yes, it will be alot more than LA!

Good luck! Any other questions, feel free to ask this fellow fish out of water!

Old 05-24-2009, 07:03 PM

792 posts, read 2,323,777 times
Read this essay by a man from Ghana who came here as an exchange student and learned to love Michigan, snow and all:
Exclusive excerpts from a new book about the 50 states. (2) - By Mohammed Naseehu Ali, Charles Bock, Dagoberto Gilb, David Rakoff, Matt Weiland, and Heidi Julavits - Slate Magazine

Old 05-24-2009, 08:18 PM

428 posts, read 800,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
I just read your link...very cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan