Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:27 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Portage is near Kalamazoo, not Ann Arbor.

And as far as grammar goes, you only need to check out various sections of this forum to see that bad grammar is not a Michigan trait.
Oops.

I was thinkin' Portage Lake.

...and my grammar ain't bad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 01:29 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by laruefamily_cjjh View Post
what is a hoosier? and it is kinda odd for people to say coke and really want a dr pepper or something else... and i will get a kick out of hearing you guys, even though it is proper.... and i am starting to try to say shopping cart instead of buggy and it is hard lol, it sounds so different to me

Hoosier is midwestern for mountain man.

Save yer pop cans....

Old 05-28-2009, 01:44 PM
YAZ

When ya make friends in Michigan, it tends to be for life. Like family, if you will. They'll give ya the shirt off of their back if need be. Be prepared to come home from work and get the neighbors' surplus of cucumbers, zuchinni, and tomatoes in a basket on your front porch.

Eating Michigan sweet corn is like biting into sugar cubes with butter and salt. Hunting and fishing is HUGE business in Michigan. You'll find out that the first day of firearm deer season is considered a national holiday.

Bass season is a close second....although not as many big lunkers that you may be used to.

Get to know yer Wings, not the Buffalo kind either.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:00 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laruefamily_cjjh View Post
lol, ok, so even if they think the way i talk is weird, i guess i will think the way they speak is just as weird to me... i am excited, snow will be so different, winter there will actually be winter.... when does it start to get cold? and when does the snow start? and end?...
the snow starts October 28 and ends October 30. then ist is warm for fourteen days and then cold and rainy for twenty three days. The snow starts again on December 18 and stops on Decmember 22. It wams up enough to melt all the snow. The snow starts on January 4 and stopns on February 12. You then get three days of 62 degree weather in Februray followed by a blizzard. It snows coninuously until March 8 and then it all melts and everything turns to mud.
The snow starts on March 17 and stops on March 28, or it may continue until May 3 or aywhere in between.

You get the pitcure. Winter is unpredictable.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:08 PM
YAZ

Yeah, lots of mud.

It's all good though.

Hey, there are plenty of swamps in Michigan, our 'lil LA girl will fit right in.

Watch out for those bogs....

Old 05-28-2009, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,629 times
Default Moving to Michigan?

You may be the only people this year moving to Michigan. So many have moved away, like I did 5 years ago. Kiss good seafood good bye. Michigan's idea of seafood is a Chain owned Red Lobster. It's a good resturant but it isn't up to La. standards. Weather will deterioate by the end of November, it will gradually warm up in April and May. So many people have moves away that housing should be cheap. Compared to Baton Rouge where I spent time, you'll have fewer insects that bite. You'll find no poisenous snakes, ( there is supposedly a Eastern Timber rattler, but I spent 40 years in Michigan and never saw one), no hurricanes. Those Louisanna days of 100 degrees and 98% humidity are gone. Michigan is humid but not for some one from the parish. You'll swim in lakes with out reptiles. You can run through the woods without worring about ticks. You all ready know how to handle Louisanna heat, do the same things for Michigan cold, stay out of it as much as possible, prepare for it when it is necessary. Good Luck!

Old 05-28-2009, 03:53 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
You could just as easily say Louisiana's weather "deteriorates" around March. I would gladly take a Michigan winter over 100 degree heat with 80% humidity.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:07 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McCartney View Post
You may be the only people this year moving to Michigan. So many have moved away, like I did 5 years ago. Kiss good seafood good bye. Michigan's idea of seafood is a Chain owned Red Lobster. It's a good resturant but it isn't up to La. standards. Weather will deterioate by the end of November, it will gradually warm up in April and May. So many people have moves away that housing should be cheap. Compared to Baton Rouge where I spent time, you'll have fewer insects that bite. You'll find no poisenous snakes, ( there is supposedly a Eastern Timber rattler, but I spent 40 years in Michigan and never saw one), no hurricanes. Those Louisanna days of 100 degrees and 98% humidity are gone. Michigan is humid but not for some one from the parish. You'll swim in lakes with out reptiles. You can run through the woods without worring about ticks. You all ready know how to handle Louisanna heat, do the same things for Michigan cold, stay out of it as much as possible, prepare for it when it is necessary. Good Luck!
You need to shop better. Great seafood is avialable. It may not be as plentiful as on the Ocean coasts, but it can be found. It is just not as popular here so there is less of it. It is certainly easy to find a great steak or great fresh water fish. In fact you can catch delicious fresh water Salmon right in Lake Michigan.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:52 PM

504 posts, read 2,175,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
You could just as easily say Louisiana's weather "deteriorates" around March. I would gladly take a Michigan winter over 100 degree heat with 80% humidity.
Me too! I once showed up at a job interview with my entire backside dripping wet because I'd just driven there in an unairconditioned car in the heat of the summer. I spent the whole interview trying to not let them see that my clothes were 5 shades darker on my back than my front. But I did get the job! When I first moved to Oregon from Louisiana, I had a job working outdoors, and they told me to bring plenty of wool and "layers". I just laughed and laughed. Almost 20 years later, I'm still trying to get the "layers" thing down! They've come a LONG way making all sorts of great fabric to keep you warm, but other than iced tea and swimming, there's not much you can do to keep cool. AC costs just as much in LA as heating does in MI (or more).

As to food, there's nothing like fresh shrimp bought right off the boat, crawfish boils, fresh snapper and redfish, turtle soup, crawfish etouffee, boudin, fried okra...you get the picture. Here you can get fish, but they seem to cook it all the same boring way. There's no spice up here. People think things are spicy when they have a little black pepper on it!

I must say that fresh apple cider and those wonderful farmers' market doughnuts have become a favorite though! And when things finally start growing in say July to September, there is a surprising variety of great fresh fruits and veggies at the growers markets around here. I've also heard that there's great Greek food down in Detroit, but haven't been there yet.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:57 PM
YAZ

Oh yeah, The Great Lakes have plenty of fish available.

It's the Massasauga rattlesnake that's the only poisonous critter in Michigan.

Very rare too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan