Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 11:52 PM

51 posts, read 239,010 times

Advertisements

So I'm one of those people that moved from Michigan to Arizona because I could not find a teaching job fresh out of college. I got quite a few interviews because I'm a male elementary school teacher. Strangely enough, I miss Michigan and would love to move back. My wife's due in January with our first child and we want to live close to family. Also, the Phoenix area is a dump and not a good place to raise a family.

I was wondering if there's any teachers out there who have moved out of state, taught for a few years, and then moved back to Michigan? I'm looking to move back home next summer. At that time, I'll have taught second grade for three years in a highly impoverished area. I'll also be 6 credit hours away from finishing my Masters' degree in Ed. Leadership (I'll be able to finish it online whenever I want). Is there any chance that my experience will help me procure a job or am I stuck here in Arizona until the economy improves?

Thank you for the information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 04:21 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Hi teacherguy!

I'm a teacher myself. I'm moving to NC to teach, (after TWO years of subbing) but I hope to move back in a couple of years myself. I'm in secondary, and all I can say is there are very VERY few openings across the state. But keep trying. Good luck to ya!

Old 07-07-2009, 07:59 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hi teacherguy!

I'm a teacher myself. I'm moving to NC to teach, (after TWO years of subbing) but I hope to move back in a couple of years myself. I'm in secondary, and all I can say is there are very VERY few openings across the state. But keep trying. Good luck to ya!
I have been in NC since February. I still send resumes to schools here and have not heard anything...best in your search to get home..

Old 07-11-2009, 11:03 PM

20 posts, read 52,099 times
Default Math/Science/World Language Teachers

Due to the new Michigan Merit Curriculum, schools are requiring more high school math and science. Students from the graduating class of 2010 and beyond are required to have four years of math, including Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, and a senior level math class. They are required to have three years of science, including Biology and Chemistry or Physics. As an elementary school teacher, this doesn't help you much. For those teachers who are certified in high school math and/or Biology, Chemistry, Physics, there may be positions available for you. The school district I work in is laying off teachers, but those with high school certifications are relatively safe because of certification requirements. We may have to hire high school math/science teachers in the next year or two. The class of 2016 and beyond are required to have a credit of world language. This should open up some positions after next year. Our student population will likely continue to decline if families continue to leave Michigan, so more teachers who are elementary and middle school certified will likely get laid off to keep or hire math/science/world language teachers.

Some of my colleages who are being laid off are moving to Charter Schools, specifically National Heritage. At least one is relatively excited about the move, but she has aspiration of going into administration. As she explained it, there is a lot of merit pay associated with administration at World Heritage. It sounded as if it could be quite lucrative in administration, but not so much so as a classroom teacher. I am definitely no expert, but this is as she explained it.

Best of luck with your search. We'd love to have you and your family return. Bring your kids! Save our schools! If I hear of anything in my area, I'll let you know!

Old 07-12-2009, 05:17 PM

14 posts, read 52,557 times
My husband is a teacher. FYI don't finish your masters until you are hired here. What I have been told and seen is that if you are at the Masters Level many districts look over you because of the pay scale.
Just say you are working on it.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:41 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
I've got a question: My provisional certificate expires in 2013, and I know I have to take at least some classes toward my masters for it to get renewed. Do I have to complete the 18 credit hours required, or do I have to be working on them by then? I'd hate to complete 18 credits in North Carolina, then try to come back and not get hired.

BTW, it's ironic that having more education makes you less marketable in the teaching profession.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:46 PM

206 posts, read 439,997 times
A family member of mine graduated from college about a year or two ago and couldn't find a teaching job in the state. He found one in South Carolina and is currently there.

Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan