Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:05 PM

12 posts, read 131,041 times

Advertisements

What area do i need to avoid as i travel to work on Woodward Ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 09:22 PM

83 posts, read 953,847 times
Anywhere to the East of Lansing or the south of Flint!, just kidding. Pontiac can be nice in spots but also has it's serious problems. I live about 20 minutes north and have never had a personal testimony of being robbed or jacked but these things do happen. My advice would be to stick to the main roads and you should be fine. Good luck, and welcome to the D.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:46 PM

16 posts, read 80,960 times
Default Avoid???

Im not sure if your asking for areas to avoid when traveling on Woodward for safety reasons or traffic but I can tell you going on Woodward should not be a problem for you. I was born and raised in Pontiac and my mother has been here since she was a pre-teen. I couldnt imagine anything happening to you going down Woodward as for your safety. The only problem is now there is traffic like non other. They are in the process of redoing the roads so Woodward in Pontiac is horrible. Not only do I live in between Woodward and Telegraph in Pontiac but I take Woodward to work every morning. And I could imagine it will get worse cause they are stretching the construction from Pontiac to Royal Oak if I am not mistaken...now that is a nightmare during morning traffic!

As far as the previous post...you could get robbed anywhere! That is a fact! But traveling on Woodward...you should be more afraid of the construction that the crimes!!!

Welcome and I wish you best of luck in your relocation!

Old 04-24-2007, 03:13 PM

5 posts, read 59,129 times
On a related topic, what areas (neighborhoods) are good to live in around Pontiac? I've heard Royal Oak, Bloomfield Hills, Troy are good. Is this true? Any others (example: West Bloomfield)? Come on folks, don't be shy

Old 04-24-2007, 03:39 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am from a small town in West Michigan. So i was a bit paranoid bc the job is second shift. Your replies did put me at ease somewhat. I did get an apartment in Clarkston, which is a very nice neighborhood. THANKS AGAIN!!

As for the previous poster, I am new to the area, however, judgeing from the previous threads on here Troy and Royal Oak seem very nice!

Old 04-30-2007, 06:55 PM

Default even after midnight

is woodward ave, north of pontiac near planet rock a nasty area? i work second shift!eeeek!

Old 05-01-2007, 10:53 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
I just moved (last weekend) from Clarkston to Royal Oak. Clarkston is about 10 miles (and a world away) north west of Pontiac via Dixie Hwy, which turns into Woodward Ave in Pontiac. For various reasons I have spent some time in Pontiac, and if the freeway was backed up would drive through on my commute to Clarkston from Troy, which was pretty frequent.
Pontiac is basically Oakland County's mini-Detroit. Not nearly as bad as Detroit because it's much smaller, but definately has mucho probs with gangs, drugs, and crime in general. If you stay on the loop in downtown you are relatively safe. I would stay out of the immediate neighborhoods surrounding downtown though...in fact, the only nice neighborhoods I've seen is the Seminole Hills area of southwest Pontiac, which is an older area of stately homes, and the southernmost neighborhoods along Woodward, which runs into ultra-rich Bloomfield Hills.
Don't worry TOO much about getting mugged, but definately be aware. It is a crime-ridden town.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:11 PM

thanks for the info. i actually live in Clarkston and now have a job in Pontiac. Next to Planet Rock. I mis-spoke myself. But it sounds like i should be fine as i am going from work to home second shift. thanks again!

Old 05-07-2007, 02:28 AM

9 posts, read 45,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I just moved (last weekend) from Clarkston to Royal Oak. Clarkston is about 10 miles (and a world away) north west of Pontiac via Dixie Hwy, which turns into Woodward Ave in Pontiac. For various reasons I have spent some time in Pontiac, and if the freeway was backed up would drive through on my commute to Clarkston from Troy, which was pretty frequent.
Pontiac is basically Oakland County's mini-Detroit. Not nearly as bad as Detroit because it's much smaller, but definately has mucho probs with gangs, drugs, and crime in general. If you stay on the loop in downtown you are relatively safe. I would stay out of the immediate neighborhoods surrounding downtown though...in fact, the only nice neighborhoods I've seen is the Seminole Hills area of southwest Pontiac, which is an older area of stately homes, and the southernmost neighborhoods along Woodward, which runs into ultra-rich Bloomfield Hills.
Don't worry TOO much about getting mugged, but definately be aware. It is a crime-ridden town.
pioneer highlands tucked away on the south west corner of telegraph and vorhees or how ever its spelled is so safe pontiac police forget were part of pontiac because they never really get called out there.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:45 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1rt View Post
I recently started a new job in southern Pontiac, off Woodward Ave. I am from a very small town in West Michigan and was a bit skeptical about the move to the area. I moved into an apt in Clarkston and commute to Pontiac via Dixie Highway. The job is second shift. Some college buddies that grew up in the nearby burbs and many posters in the forum claim that Pontiac is nasty and very crime ridden? Do I believe the hype? I haven't had a problem yet.
Pontiac is fine if your just driving through, and if you stick to the main areas. I lived in Clarkston from July of last year through April of this one and work in Troy, so frequently had to drive through Pontiac when the 75 was backed up. I have never had a problem.

Pontiac does indeed have crime problems, and I would advise staying along the loop and downtown. At night, don't be alone anywhere. All this being said, it's not like it's Beruit, exactly. There is a huge club in downtown called Tonic that is considered one of the tops in the Metro area. And on Friday, my wife and I drove through some of the streets in the historical neighborhood on the southwest side of town. It didn't feel dangerous, but it was sad to see that although most of the houses are being kept up, in general there was a somewhat shabby feel to what was obviously once a grand neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit