Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 01:13 AM

14 posts, read 49,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Just read this. The nuclear power plant in Covert Michigan was bought out by Entergy (from Consumers Energy) and is looking to hire 64 new people. If you work in an engineering. electrical or technical field, and are looking for work, you might want to check it out. You can be a real life HOMER SIMPSON! No j/k, but I'm sure the pay is pretty good.

MLive.com: Everything Michigan

Covert is in a beautiful area between St Joe and South Haven, along Lake Michigan. It's also only about 20 minutes from Holland and maybe 40 minutes from Grand Rapids.

covert michigan - Google Maps

Just FYI sharing the wealth.
WOW a wopping 60 jobs for engineers! how many do you think graduate from Kettering U every year? Compare that to how many already in the field who's co. pink slipped..etc.
Nothing against a little good news of course. 60 ppl will be ok for now. IF only our Gov. would offer real incentives to move corps. here and bring thousands of jobs.. not just a couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 06:31 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie0101 View Post
Also, my fiance just recently move up with me from kentucky and within 2 weeks; she found a teaching job.
So far, michigan is treating us very good.

=)

Eddie
Welcome, Eddie! There's a whole bunch of us that MI is treating well, but it's not easy to voice those opinions here without getting piled on by people with aliases such as "MIrots" and "youdumbifyoustayinMI." You likely won't get handed a job in something like teaching, but your experience shows that it's possible. BUT it's so easy to solely blame others and not take any accountability for choices made in life. Bottom line - enjoy the great state and ignore the chicken littles.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:31 AM

34 posts, read 95,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misucks View Post
WOW a wopping 60 jobs for engineers! how many do you think graduate from Kettering U every year? Compare that to how many already in the field who's co. pink slipped..etc.
Nothing against a little good news of course. 60 ppl will be ok for now. IF only our Gov. would offer real incentives to move corps. here and bring thousands of jobs.. not just a couple.
Hey misucks, that is 60 well paying jobs for ONE place. Why are you on this thread shouldn't you be in the "SC is great" thread. I lived in Summerville SC for 6 years SC is not the greatest place on earth. I believe they even beat out MI for the greatest mobile homes per capita award.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:34 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misucks View Post
I didn't realize it was the governor's job to create jobs. I was under the silly impression it was companies that created jobs. There are a lot of other articles about other companies in West Michigan adding jobs, even in this thread.

Nice username, BTW. But I see that in your first 7 posts, all you've done is bash Michigan, so apparently your username is fitting.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:37 PM

262 posts, read 788,261 times
I read all of the posts and I can see how some people feel and having to leave because of employment, when it comes to the auto industry Toyota and Honda don't want to deal with a union work force, The high paying auto jobs are not there, The thing that gets me is back when Chrysler went down they didn't change. Then in the 1980's we seen people leaving for Texas. I remember "Last one out turn out the lights" But we managed. The problem I see is why is it that Our Goverment for the State of Michigan hasn't sat down with the auto manufactures and the Michigan Farmers and worked on a deal to make E 85 Fuels. Our 2nd largest industry is agriculture and yet Our elected Officals don't have a plan that would Do this, not research the life out of it, Cause I do understand we have to have research. But if we could also throw into the mix a fuel system that could be adapted to all cars and trucks that are on Michigans roads, So those who can't afford to make a $500.00 a month payment on a Hybrid. Or those who don't like the new cars.
I have been in construction for 27 years and I have had to take other jobs in the 1980's but I started my own business in 1985 and we had our ups and downs. but we always managed to make ends meet, but now these last two years I have had to barrow money just to live on, cause the work I do people are holding on doing repairs. Also when the auto industry lays people off they become painters and drywallers and plasterers which is my line of work for the past 27 years. I wanted to start buying Houses in my neighborhood but theres not many people moving in.
I have looked at over 60 foreclosed houses I was wanting to buy and then fix them up and rent them out, but the Realtor I am working with says to just wait it isn't getting better so I don't know what we can do to generate a market here right now.
I would like to take houses and make them self efficience with solar power.
I have a offer to go out to Las Vegas to do repair work, I love working in the old Homes of Grosse Pointe but I see a lot of these places are sitting empty.
I think these people who go to Lansing and sit and make policy should think along the lines that Brazil did in the 1980's with their sugar cane. We have Michigan University and Michigan State that I'm sure could work this out.
I love this State and the thing is I don't want to lose everything I've worked for at 50 I figure I still have 20 more years to work before I can retire
I would love to be able to stay here, I want to keep my house even if I do go. The only thing I would like to say to the Governor is when do you plan to put your plan into play so that the people of Michigan know we are headed in the right direction. Because the way I feel and many others feel are we going to be Blown Away! or are we going to take hold and lower taxes so Business wants to come here and set up shop.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:04 AM

59 posts, read 236,197 times
Default Michigan pessimists

Quote:
I didn't realize it was the governor's job to create jobs. I was under the silly impression it was companies that created jobs. There are a lot of other articles about other companies in West Michigan adding jobs, even in this thread.

Nice username, BTW. But I see that in your first 7 posts, all you've done is bash Michigan, so apparently your username is fitting.
Agreed, Magellan; you know, I read all these negative posts and have to wonder. If I had as negative an outlook and attitude as some of the people in this forum, I'm sure I'd be struggling to find someone to employ me as well. I'm not, by any means, implying that things aren't economically difficult in Michigan right now but when things get tough, sometimes you have to learn to think outside the usual box of possibilities. Just this weekend my husband and I were having dinner at an outdoor cafe where we struck up a conversation with the couple at the table next to us. They were from Michigan and, guess what? He runs his own business and is doing very well--better than ever in a business he created because he saw an opportunity to fill a void that existed in services in the area where he lived. Sometimes, when things are tough, we have to be creative. I had to do it eight years ago when I moved here and couldn't find a job in my field, and then again four years ago when the job I finally did find was making me miserable. That's when I thought long and hard about my strengths and weaknesses, what I really wanted to do for a living, what there was a need for, and what I was qualified to do. Then, I started analyzing what opportunities existed that I could pursue. And guess what? It took me a year, but I gradually built up my own business working at it at night after my "day job" until I was making enough steady income to quit the day job and have my own business full time. If some of the "Michigan sucks" people would get off the path of spending their time and energy on how much it sucks, and start looking for, or better yet, creating some opportunities, then I'm pretty sure their worldview would shift and life in Michigan would become far better for them, and everyone around them.

Sorry for the rant but geez, enough whining--start thinking, start creating, get busy, or, move somewhere else. And, by the way, even if ya move, you're still gonna have to get busy in the new place. Complaining doesn't produce much in the way of paid work.

Okay; I'm ducking so let the flames fly where they may :-)

Old 07-05-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmiami View Post
Agreed, Magellan; you know, I read all these negative posts and have to wonder. If I had as negative an outlook and attitude as some of the people in this forum, I'm sure I'd be struggling to find someone to employ me as well. I'm not, by any means, implying that things aren't economically difficult in Michigan right now but when things get tough, sometimes you have to learn to think outside the usual box of possibilities. Just this weekend my husband and I were having dinner at an outdoor cafe where we struck up a conversation with the couple at the table next to us. They were from Michigan and, guess what? He runs his own business and is doing very well--better than ever in a business he created because he saw an opportunity to fill a void that existed in services in the area where he lived. Sometimes, when things are tough, we have to be creative. I had to do it eight years ago when I moved here and couldn't find a job in my field, and then again four years ago when the job I finally did find was making me miserable. That's when I thought long and hard about my strengths and weaknesses, what I really wanted to do for a living, what there was a need for, and what I was qualified to do. Then, I started analyzing what opportunities existed that I could pursue. And guess what? It took me a year, but I gradually built up my own business working at it at night after my "day job" until I was making enough steady income to quit the day job and have my own business full time. If some of the "Michigan sucks" people would get off the path of spending their time and energy on how much it sucks, and start looking for, or better yet, creating some opportunities, then I'm pretty sure their worldview would shift and life in Michigan would become far better for them, and everyone around them.

Sorry for the rant but geez, enough whining--start thinking, start creating, get busy, or, move somewhere else. And, by the way, even if ya move, you're still gonna have to get busy in the new place. Complaining doesn't produce much in the way of paid work.

Okay; I'm ducking so let the flames fly where they may :-)
I would certainly never berate someone for making the sometimes unfortunate decision that they had to move out of state to find work. It can be frustrating, scary, depressing, and stressful for a family to have no other choice. I'm not cruel. But you're right, people of action are going to make the difference, not inexperienced and stubborn (read radical) lawmakers in Lansing.

In the spirit of this thread, here's an uplifting story about a group of immigrants just sworn in as Americans on July 4th (yesterday), just prior to the 4th of July celebration in downtown Grand Rapids. It's so interesting that despite how many people get down on Michigan, these people really only see hope and opportunity:

MLive.com: Everything Michigan

Old 07-05-2007, 11:25 AM

59 posts, read 236,197 times
Quote:
I would certainly never berate someone for making the sometimes unfortunate decision that they had to move out of state to find work. It can be frustrating, scary, depressing, and stressful for a family to have no other choice. I'm not cruel.

I hope I didn't sound like I was berating those who choose to leave or need to leave or have left! That was not my intent at all; I think change and widening our horizons/life experiences is almost always good; besides, criticizing those who leave would make me a hypocrite. I left, and so did several of my nieces and nephews who couldn't find work that would allow them to support their families. I fully understand how difficult that choice is, and that it is, sometimes sadly, a necessary choice for many right now. My reference was aimed at those whose posts always seem to reflect the beliefs that life in Michigan 1) sucks for everyone; 2) is a dead-end now and for eternity; 3) that life is better anywhere and everywhere else, and 4) that "those people" who work in Lansing are the reason the state is in the economic situation it is in. Its a beautiful and unique state with a wonderful quality of life in relation to the cost of living but honestly, if I didn't know that already from my 30 plus years of living there and I was considering a move there, I would likely be turned off by the widespread and incessant negative comments I've readon this forum. Of course, you can find that on any of the state forums but I hate to see the negativity constantly overshadowing the value that exists in Michigan. It just isn't a very accurate portrayal IMHO.

Again, if it sounded as though I was criticizing people who leave, that was not my intent.

Last edited by jeffncandace; 07-05-2007 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: fixing your quote

Old 07-05-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmiami View Post
I hope I didn't sound like I was berating those who choose to leave or need to leave or have left! That was not my intent at all; I think change and widening our horizons/life experiences is almost always good; besides, criticizing those who leave would make me a hypocrite. I left, and so did several of my nieces and nephews who couldn't find work that would allow them to support their families. I fully understand how difficult that choice is, and that it is, sometimes sadly, a necessary choice for many right now. My reference was aimed at those whose posts always seem to reflect the beliefs that life in Michigan 1) sucks for everyone; 2) is a dead-end now and for eternity; 3) that life is better anywhere and everywhere else, and 4) that "those people" who work in Lansing are the reason the state is in the economic situation it is in. Its a beautiful and unique state with a wonderful quality of life in relation to the cost of living but honestly, if I didn't know that already from my 30 plus years of living there and I was considering a move there, I would likely be turned off by the widespread and incessant negative comments I've readon this forum. Of course, you can find that on any of the state forums but I hate to see the negativity constantly overshadowing the value that exists in Michigan. It just isn't a very accurate portrayal IMHO.

Again, if it sounded as though I was criticizing people who leave, that was not my intent.
No, not at all pjmiami.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:34 AM

14 posts, read 49,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmi65 View Post
Hey misucks, that is 60 well paying jobs for ONE place. Why are you on this thread shouldn't you be in the "SC is great" thread. I lived in Summerville SC for 6 years SC is not the greatest place on earth. I believe they even beat out MI for the greatest mobile homes per capita award.
what do you mean SC? Dont recall ever saying I was going there. And 60 jobs in an area that has tens to hundreds of thousands of people? Last year a VG's grocery store opened in Flint and over 400 ppl applied! In one day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan