Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 06:44 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda37 View Post
You must be thinking of another state that starts with a M.

Maine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 12:11 PM

5 posts, read 16,732 times
Default Detroit-one of top 10 sities in 2005?

Hmm,
I just just was surfing other forum related to real estate and have found an interesting statistic data on:

Top Ten (http://www.policom.com/topten.htm - broken link)

That is interesting, Detroit area is listed in the list of "2007 Top Ten Metropolitan and Micropolitan Areas", in some lists taking 5-fth place.
I know that it is based on "just released" data of 2005, but really, would you think that 2 years would bring the area so drastically back?
Big cities, like large bodies, they have huge inertia, it is really hard to stop rapidly a mountain-sized asteroid.
Detroit is a city of 4,5M, can the loss of 30,000-something jobs in one sector really rapidly stop the sity development? After surviving the riots of 1960-es?

Old 06-22-2007, 01:43 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v117a View Post
Hmm,
I just just was surfing other forum related to real estate and have found an interesting statistic data on:

Top Ten (http://www.policom.com/topten.htm - broken link)

That is interesting, Detroit area is listed in the list of "2007 Top Ten Metropolitan and Micropolitan Areas", in some lists taking 5-fth place.
I know that it is based on "just released" data of 2005, but really, would you think that 2 years would bring the area so drastically back?
Big cities, like large bodies, they have huge inertia, it is really hard to stop rapidly a mountain-sized asteroid.
Detroit is a city of 4,5M, can the loss of 30,000-something jobs in one sector really rapidly stop the sity development? After surviving the riots of 1960-es?
One person on here has mentioned the balance brought by greed; you could also call it opportunity. Look at MSU. They saw opportunity and swooped in to set the wheels in motion to move their DO program to the DMC. One thing that all urban areas in the US can guarantee is ER patients! Now MSU medicine will have a presence in GR, Lansing, and Detroit. A good friend of mine in Philadelphia told me that they're bombarding DOs to move to the new program and it's too good for him to refuse. He did do a rotation at the Henry Ford so it remains to see if people unfamiliar with what metro Detroit can offer will join him, but I think they will. There are too many amenities at so low a price for opportunists to stay away too long. Detroit is still in the top 10 when it comes to museums and other cultural attractions in the US but nowhere near the top 10 when it comes to cost of living. Now if the pols can get their act together, imagine what can happen.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:27 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
There are too many amenities at so low a price for opportunists to stay away too long. Detroit is still in the top 10 when it comes to museums and other cultural attractions in the US but nowhere near the top 10 when it comes to cost of living. Now if the pols can get their act together, imagine what can happen.
Totally agree with this (of course), but my only fear is that the politicians WON'T get their act together. Any ideas on how to get some transparency and accountability in our government? It seems like all politicians, Detroit's especially, are just crooked.

Last edited by jeffncandace; 06-22-2007 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 06-22-2007, 05:47 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,473 times
That's where it might have to get worse before it will get better. It took bankruptcy and the wheels to be set in motion for the state to take over (instead of just threats) for Philadelphia to elect Ed Rendell in the early 90s. He would have almost certainly not been elected if the circumstances weren't as dire. Hopefully, the impotency of the current regime and the death of MI's grip on the auto industry will give rise to someone like Rendell with the cajones to make the hard decisions and stick by them.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:15 PM

111 posts, read 485,356 times
Well I am considering opening a Pizza Shoppe here in Michigan within a year or two, so I would say things are looking up still.

I plan to hire people, possibly up to 10-15 people, and add to the workforce in the state with good pay and benefits. Rather than whine, I want to contribute.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboState View Post
Well I am considering opening a Pizza Shoppe here in Michigan within a year or two, so I would say things are looking up still.

I plan to hire people, possibly up to 10-15 people, and add to the workforce in the state with good pay and benefits. Rather than whine, I want to contribute.
And kudos to you! Starting up a biz is risky no matter what state you are in. Good luck!

Old 07-01-2007, 08:09 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Here's an article about a former 750,000 square foot Lear Corp. (auto supplier) plant in Grand Rapids that was shut down a few years ago. With a lot of hard work by the private and public sector, it's 2/3's full now and it will be totally filled again by the end of this year with several businesses. Pretty much everyone thought a plant that large would sit vacant for the foreseeable future.

MLive.com: Everything Michigan

Old 07-02-2007, 01:47 PM

7 posts, read 48,769 times
I moved to michigan not too long ago from Kentucky. But I am originally from California (LA county to be exact).
Moved to michigan because got a fabulous offer that I could not refuse.
Recently went home to california to visit and I didn't like it at all. Traffic is beyond managable, THERE IS FREEWAY BACKUP at 12AM in the morning. that is just crazy....
Also, my fiance just recently move up with me from kentucky and within 2 weeks; she found a teaching job.
So far, michigan is treating us very good.

=)

Eddie

Old 07-02-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie0101 View Post
I moved to michigan not too long ago from Kentucky. But I am originally from California (LA county to be exact).
Moved to michigan because got a fabulous offer that I could not refuse.
Recently went home to california to visit and I didn't like it at all. Traffic is beyond managable, THERE IS FREEWAY BACKUP at 12AM in the morning. that is just crazy....
Also, my fiance just recently move up with me from kentucky and within 2 weeks; she found a teaching job.
So far, michigan is treating us very good.

=)

Eddie
What? You must not have talked to some of the natives on this forum yet. They'll tell you soon enough not to believe your own eyes--you have jumped aboard a sinking ship!

I am also from southern California and just moved to Michigan last year. We love it as well! I will always love Cali, but with the exception of a few things, I don't even miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan